2017 Films and Award Season

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/19/2017 22:10
  • Post subject: 2017 Films and Award Season
Every year, there's a thread for the Academy Awards. However I thought users might be interested in having broader talk/discussion about the year for movies in general. Sort of how there's a thread for every year in albums. But by all means, use this thread to talk about the Oscars, BAFTAs, Golden Globes, etc.

Anyway, it's been a rough year for movies so far. Ticket sales in the US/Canada are nosediving, but business is still doing fine abroad. It's challenging approaching declining sales...and bringing out sequels, remakes, reboots, and spinoffs has been a crapshoot. Some profited greatly, others flopped terribly. In terms of quality, many 2017 movies have been overrated or disappointing (Alien: Covenant, Dunkirk, Ghost Story, Life, Wonder Woman, Guardians 2, Logan Lucky). And now there's this Harvey Weinstein Scandal that certainly isn't helping Hollywood's PR. Hopefully better days and better movies are ahead.

From what I've seen so far this year, here are my picks (not at all what I think the major awards will pick):

Picture - I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
Lead Actor - Steve Carell, Battle of the Sexes
Lead Actress - Melanie Lynskey, I Don't Feel At Home in This World Anymore
Supporting Actor - Robert Carlyle, T2: Trainspotting
Supporting Actress - Michelle Pfeiffer, mother!
Director - Darren Aronofsky, mother!
Badass Movie - Logan
Fun Movie - Baby Driver

Anyway, what are your thoughts on 2017 in film? What are some of your top films and performances?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/19/2017 22:33
  • Post subject: Re: 2017 Films and Award Season
Always up for a discussion about recent films.

StreetSpirit wrote:

Anyway, it's been a rough year for movies so far.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on 2017 in film? What are some of your top films and performances?

It's def been a rough year for movies so far. Nearly everything is falling just a little flat... haven't seen anything terrible so far, but it's been bland. Tom of Finland, The Beguiled, Beauty and The Beast and The Big Sick really fell below my expectations (only really bad one of the bunch possibly being B&B). Based on the three major festivals this year, + Oscar hooplas, I wouldn't be surprised if 2017's set to become one of the thinnest years for cinema in quite some time. That being said, I was a much bigger fan of A Ghost Story that you were... I think it's actually one of the year's best.

My top 10 (right now)

1. Baby Driver
2. Okja
3. A Ghost Story
4. Manifesto
5. On The Beach At Night Alone
6. The Meyerowitz Stories
7. Song To Song
8. I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore
9. Get Out
10. The Little Hours

Seeing The Square, You Were Never Really Here, Loving Vincent, The Killing of A Sacred Deer and Good Time all somewhat soon. Haven't seen Dunkirk yet because I totally missed it while it was in cinemas... haven't seen Blade Runner 2049 yet either.

But yeah, better days are DEFINITELY ahead. Super stoked for The Shape of Water, The Florida Project, The Disaster Artist, Call Me By Your Name, Coco, and Three Billboards.

Being said, I haven't the faintest when it comes to the Oscars this year. I'd love to see Willem Dafoe or Sally Hawkins finally win though. Guillermo Del Toro for best director would be dope, have the Mexican trio all win within years of each other.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2017 01:07
Hayden wrote:
Always up for a discussion about recent films.

It's def been a rough year for movies so far. Nearly everything is falling just a little flat... haven't seen anything terrible so far, but it's been bland. Tom of Finland, The Beguiled, Beauty and The Beast and The Big Sick really fell below my expectations (only really bad one of the bunch possibly being B&B). Based on the three major festivals this year, + Oscar hooplas, I wouldn't be surprised if 2017's set to become one of the thinnest years for cinema in quite some time. That being said, I was a much bigger fan of A Ghost Story that you were... I think it's actually one of the year's best.

I hear ya. Very bland so far. I haven't seen anything terrible either, just a bunch of mediocrity that left no lasting impression. Have you seen the original Beguiled with Clint Eastwood? Pretty solid '70s film. Having seen the original, I had no urge to see the remake. Same with Beauty and the Beast for that matter. Already seen the original and liked it. I also struggled to sit through the much-inferior live-action remakes of Alice in Wonderland and Jungle Book, so why should I spend time with this version of B&B? Ghost Story...well it has a powerful message, but it pretentiously drags on and on and on. The whole moral of the story is summed up in one character's drunken rambling, which rendered watching the rest of the film somewhat pointless. Ghost Story would have made a great 20-30 minute short film, but instead we have to watch nearly 90 minutes worth of overly long one-take shots in which very little happens (the morgue, and the pie, for example).

Hayden wrote:
My top 10 (right now)

1. Baby Driver
2. Okja
3. A Ghost Story
4. Manifesto
5. On The Beach At Night Alone
6. The Meyerowitz Stories
7. Song To Song
8. I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore
9. Get Out
10. The Little Hours

Seeing The Square, You Were Never Really Here, Loving Vincent, The Killing of A Sacred Deer and Good Time all somewhat soon. Haven't seen Dunkirk yet because I totally missed it while it was in cinemas... haven't seen Blade Runner 2049 yet either.

But yeah, better days are DEFINITELY ahead. Super stoked for The Shape of Water, The Florida Project, The Disaster Artist, Call Me By Your Name, Coco, and Three Billboards.

Being said, I haven't the faintest when it comes to the Oscars this year. I'd love to see Willem Dafoe or Sally Hawkins finally win though. Guillermo Del Toro for best director would be dope, have the Mexican trio all win within years of each other.

Baby Driver, nice. Still need to see Okja. It's on my watchlist. The Snowman and Killing of a Sacred Deer are next on my theater checklist. Farther away, Three Billboards looks promising. It's been too long since we heard from Martin McDonagh.

Check out Blade Runner 2049 and mother! Both very good.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2017 01:43
StreetSpirit wrote:
Have you seen the original Beguiled with Clint Eastwood? Pretty solid '70s film. Having seen the original, I had no urge to see the remake. Same with Beauty and the Beast for that matter. Ghost Story...well it has a powerful message, but it pretentiously drags on and on and on. The whole moral of the story is summed up in one character's drunken rambling, which rendered watching the rest of the film somewhat pointless. Ghost Story would have made a great 20-30 minute short film, but instead we have to watch nearly 90 minutes worth of overly long one-take shots in which very little happens (the morgue, and the pie, for example).

Haven't seen the original Beguiled... might eventually, but I can't say it'll be high on my watchlist (the plot in general bored me, couldn't help but feel that it wasn't about anything). Coppola winning best director at Cannes for such a minor work seems a little odd, it feels like she sucked all her flair out of the film.

A Ghost Story might have pushed limits a little (should the pie-eating scene have been 5 minutes? Well... no, perhaps 3 would've made the point, but it's still unique and memorable). I loved how much everything stood out though, every element felt like something I'd never seen in cinema before. Could it have been 30-40 minutes? Probably, but I enjoyed it enough that the length wasn't an issue. My only complaint is that I wish there was less dialogue... there were a few unnecessary lines near the beginning, would've appreciated a more WALL-E stab at it.

Def check Okja, Gyllenhaal ham's his performance, but it's so worth it. Also, chase scene of the decade. Don't bother with Beauty & The Beast... part of me is still confused on how it was considered 'finished'.

And yeah, loved Baby Driver. Stellar film. Felt like Edgar Wright remade Drive and put it on acid, and I really dug it.

Should also note, this year we had:

The Square, The Circle, The Triangle
Lucky, Logan, Logan Lucky
Wonder, Wonder Wheel, Wonder Woman and Wonderstruck.
  • Visit poster's website
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2017 14:12
  • Post subject:
My top five so far:
1. Blade Runner 2049
2. Dunkirk
3. The Discovery
4. Wind River
5. War For The Planet Of The Apes

I missed some that were either rather limited releases or were out the same time as something else, which will be among my January/February that is usually me watching a ton of the year's releases I have yet to see. Also quite excited in the coming months to see Gary Oldman in hopefully an Oscar winning role in Darkest Hour, Linklater's Last Flag Flying, Hostiles, and of course The Last Jedi.
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 10/20/2017 14:57
  • Post subject:
The only films I've seen so far this year have been Get Out and the Lego Batman Movie. Hoping to soon see The Beguiled (huge Coppola fan), The Killing of a Sacred Deer (only Lanthimos film I've seen is The Lobster, hoping to see some of his earlier work soon), The Square, Dunkirk, Okja, Blade Runner, and whatever Todd Haynes' new film is called. My brain keeps telling me it's Wonderwall but I know that isn't right.

There's also a part of me that really wants to see mother! I despise the CinemaScore system, so anytime something scores an F that piques my interest. Plus, Lawrence + Pfeiffer + Aronofsky seems like an irresistable combo.
nutso42

• Posted: 10/20/2017 15:39
  • Post subject:
As for major movie awards predictions... some predicted common nominees with most frequent winner in bold. I tried to view it objectively, but as usual some personal biases and preferences crept in.

Best Picture:

The Beguiled
Call Me By Your Name
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Mudbound
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best Director:

Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water
Jordan Peele, Get Out
Luca Guadagnino, Call Me by Your Name
Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread

Best Actress:

Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Jessica Chastain, Molly's Game
Meryl Streep, The Post
Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird

Best Actor:

Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
Denzel Washington, Fences
Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
Jake Gyllenhaal, Stronger
Timothee Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name

Best Supporting Actress:

Holly Hunter, The Big Sick
Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
Michelle Pfeiffer, mother!
Nicole Kidman, The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

Best Supporting Actor:

Armie Hammer, Call Me By Your Name
Johnny Depp, Murder on the Orient Express
Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Will Poulter, Detroit
Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

Best Adapted Screenplay:

The Beguiled
Call Me By Your Name
The Disaster Artist
Molly's Game
Mudbound

Best Original Screenplay

Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2017 15:45
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:

Best Actor:

Denzel Washington, Fences

Best Supporting Actress:

Holly Hunter, The Big Sick
Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
Michelle Pfeiffer, mother!
Nicole Kidman, The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

I think Allison Janney has this one in the bag to be honest. Wouldn't mind seeing Metcaff walking away with an Oscar though.

Also, you have the wrong Denzel movie in there (what a lame year for best actor... It's really Day-Lewis Vs. Oldman, and 3 empty slots).

I'll second Phantom Thread winning Best Picture. It'll be that or The Post. I can't see it being anything that's already been screened.

Quote:
whatever Todd Haynes' new film is called

Yeah, Wonderstruck. Everyone at Cannes said it was a massive shrug. Nobody seemed to love it, but it's aight. Just not Haynes usual standard.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2017 17:29
  • Post subject:
@ nutso
I'm a bit surprised you're behind on movies given your profession. Do check out mother! I had a similar reaction to the feedback. When I read reviews were mixed-positive while casual audiences hated it, that only made me want to watch it more. I'd definitely say it's one of the year's best.

@ Hayden
Ghost Story is certainly a thoughtful movie, but that's where it ends. I think the conversation it inspires can be far greater than the movie itself. Love, death, spiritual existence, the beginning and end of the universe...Ghost Story touches on all these interesting themes. But it's still a film that should have good writing, character development, and pacing, which I don't think it does. However, if a film can inspire deep thought and conversation, which Ghost Story can, then yes it can be considered "great" in that regard.

Apparently The Snowman is terrible. It has a good trailer, stars Michael Fassbender, and Tomas Alfredson directs. That's very promising, and a shame that it doesn't live up to its potential. I guess now Killing of a Sacred Deer is my next theater visit. This article compares the film to Funny Games:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/the-ki...201880504/

If it's comparable to Funny Games, I have to see it.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2017 21:46
  • Post subject:
http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/10/21/ho...than-usual

Damn, what does it take to get more people to go to theaters these days? Lowering ticket prices may not be a bad idea.
  • Visit poster's website