View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/29/2011 22:12
  • Post subject: The "Similar Charts" Algorithm
Needs work

Sorry, just being honest.

Albummaster, trust me; I have great respect for all that you've done. I likewise realize you're a very busy man. But please bear with me on this.

Most people would agree that I have a really unique chart. So why am I lumped in with RFNaples (no offense, Naples) and the RS chart? That simply makes no sense.

You should make a change in the algorithm that doesn't seem to be too difficult. Just tell the server to multiply the total compatibility by it's rank.

In other words, the lower down an album is on the charts, the more it's appearance in a pair of charts will determine whether they're "similar". This way, I won't be lumped with people who have completely different taste than me.

This also can be adjusted for artist and album similarities, respectively. For artists, just have it be based on the artist rank. For albums, it's self-explanatory.

Hope this helps!
-Charlie
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 08/30/2011 00:51
  • Post subject:
I think it is a simple algorithm being used: how many identical albums appear on each chart or the percentage of identical albums (allowing for dissimilar chart sizes). Perhaps it should also consider the ranking similarities. But that could require a complicated algorithm and a lot of computing time. Does it really matter? This is just a tool for discovering albums on other charts that already have similar albums/interests. In our case, we share 30 albums but I don't own 51 of the albums on your chart and have only 8 on my wish list.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 08/30/2011 01:00
  • Post subject:
Albummaster, it would be nice to show the number of albums and bands in common in the Top 100 Greatest Music Albums similarity section in addition to the titles and artists currently listed.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 08/30/2011 08:29
  • Post subject:
Yeah, strange feature : it keeps sending me to Pink Floyd enthusiasts and Dylan supremacists...
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/30/2011 08:52
  • Post subject:
yes, it could probably do with some tweaking. It was only a first attempt, so I expected that it would need refining at some stage. Maybe the answer is to calculate similarity by summing the rank points of the same albums in both charts. This would then take into account how heavily favoured the matching albums were by the other person.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/30/2011 09:27
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Albummaster, it would be nice to show the number of albums and bands in common in the Top 100 Greatest Music Albums similarity section in addition to the titles and artists currently listed.

yes, can add this.
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 08/30/2011 09:36
  • Post subject:
Mine works well, it leads me to interesting charts

Including two of my favourite members
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/30/2011 10:03
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
yes, it could probably do with some tweaking. It was only a first attempt, so I expected that it would need refining at some stage. Maybe the answer is to calculate similarity by summing the rank points of the same albums in both charts. This would then take into account how heavily favoured the matching albums were by the other person.

Actually, scrap that. It probably needs to take into account relative similarity. So, if you've ranked something top, the other chart needs to have ranked it about the same for the chart to be considered more similar. Probably in danger of over-thinking this, it's quite a difficult problem to get absolutely right.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/30/2011 11:14
  • Post subject: Re: The "Similar Charts" Algorithm
Applerill wrote:
In other words, the lower down an album is on the charts, the more it's appearance in a pair of charts will determine whether they're "similar". This way, I won't be lumped with people who have completely different taste than me.

This also can be adjusted for artist and album similarities, respectively. For artists, just have it be based on the artist rank. For albums, it's self-explanatory.

Interesting idea, but I think it could lead to even more unusual results. Let's say your chart shares one album that is ranked low in the overall chart, but everything else is different, should that mean 'similar charts' are more similar just because they share this one unusual album?

At the moment, the more albums you share with another chart, the more similar your charts are (it's a very simple method). Maybe there's a way of combining both these factors and weight albums with a lower overall rank a bit more heavily, but it's finding the right balance that is the key.
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 09/01/2011 07:31
  • Post subject:
A somewhat (not really) related suggestion:

Would it also be possible for the chart stats to include how many rank points the top 5 or 10 artists have on our charts? And perhaps the ability to press an (expand) button to see the top 10 most appearing albums by an artist instead of just 5.

These would be cool little features, if it isn't too much effort. Cool
  • Visit poster's website