Rap in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
michael44bishop

United States

• Posted: 11/09/2017 19:02
  • Post subject: Rap in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame
Am I the only one confused by the fact that rap artists are being inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame? I'm sure the artists being inducted are talented but shouldn't there be a Hip Hop Hall of Fame? I think it is silly to refer to Tupac Shakur as a rock artist for example. Am I the only one who feels this way? Or could anyone explain to me why rap artists should be included? I've tried reading arguments on the internet but I honestly don't feel I've come across one that actually addressed the situation rather than just ramble about rap music.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 11/09/2017 20:37
  • Post subject: Re: Rap in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame
michael44bishop wrote:
Am I the only one confused by the fact that rap artists are being inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame? I'm sure the artists being inducted are talented but shouldn't there be a Hip Hop Hall of Fame? I think it is silly to refer to Tupac Shakur as a rock artist for example. Am I the only one who feels this way? Or could anyone explain to me why rap artists should be included? I've tried reading arguments on the internet but I honestly don't feel I've come across one that actually addressed the situation rather than just ramble about rap music.

Actually, "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" is something of a misnomer.

The Hall covers much more than just Rock and Roll; it really incorporates most forms of popular music. There's pure bluesmen like BB King in there. And there's lot's of pop that few would call rock and roll. Even though I don't like rap, I have to admit an influential rap artist has as much business being in there as Madonna.
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/09/2017 22:00
  • Post subject:
Does anyone actually care who is in the chuffing hall of fame? I hate it when I hear an artist introduced first and foremost as a rock n roll hall of famer. It doesn't mean anything at all. Shite. Hopefully hip hop is cooler than inventing some similar thing. I've heard of influential rap acts being inducted but I've no interest in it at all.
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 11/09/2017 22:06
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
Does anyone actually care who is in the chuffing hall of fame?

Plenty of people do, that's why it still exists. I personally don't care about it, but the userbase here (who tends to bash it every time it comes up) doesn't really represent people's interest in music as a whole.

Think about it from a more freshman to music perspective. People who don't listen to a lot of music don't typically know what to like, but institutions like these tend to bring validity to artists that a random person wouldn't. If you like a band that's in the rock and roll hall of fame, then you're likely to find more bands in that same sphere.
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/09/2017 22:48
  • Post subject:
Temporary33 wrote:
Plenty of people do, that's why it still exists. I personally don't care about it, but the userbase here (who tends to bash it every time it comes up) doesn't really represent people's interest in music as a whole.

Think about it from a more freshman to music perspective. People who don't listen to a lot of music don't typically know what to like, but institutions like these tend to bring validity to artists that a random person wouldn't. If you like a band that's in the rock and roll hall of fame, then you're likely to find more bands in that same sphere.

In this Internet age it's less valid than ever before.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2017 01:09
  • Post subject:
Yes, I agree. But maybe it's just personal cuz I really like to see rock and roll and Hip Hop separated as much as possible. But it's important to remember that rock and roll meant something slightly different in the 50s and 60s. Most people tend to think of rock and roll and Rock as synonymous now. But back in the sixties, things like girl groups, boy groups, and things like that were considered rock and roll. The artists on Motown, for instance, are always insisting that what Motown did was rock and roll, not R&B or soul. But nowadays of course that's what people usually call it. So in that respect hip-hop might be considered rock and roll.
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2017 04:04
  • Post subject:
Gene Simmons complained about this. Here is what Ice Cube had to say about it:

"I respect Gene Simmons, but I think he's wrong on this, because rock & roll is not an instrument and it's not singing," he said. "Rock & roll is a spirit. N.W.A is probably more rock & roll than a lot of the people that he thinks belong there over hip-hop. We had the same spirit as punk rock, the same as the blues."

Gotta go with Cube on this one.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2017 07:19
  • Post subject:
I don't really know anything about it... it felt like something originally made to remember the early rock n' rollers - Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Little Richard, etc. Since then I have no idea what it is/supposed to be.

I've always thought it something like the Hard Rock Cafe or something - you know memorabilia and "music history"... but probably more than a place to get a burger... idk... they should just rename it to Museum of Modern Music or something. Maybe make it more legit?

I hear there's a whole museum dedicated to Johnny Cash in Memphis or somewhere. I'd go to that if I were in town and was in the right mood. But part of me thinks I wouldn't give a shit, as much as I really like Johnny Cash's music... part of me doesn't care to know his history.

Anyway, music museums are cool sometimes. Went to the Fender factory/museum in Corona once and thought it was interesting to witness the evolution of that company's effect on music history/see the instruments that made music history/artistry in the instrument itself.

No offense or anything but to mock something that "lists" out "societies" best musicians and be a regular on this site is a bit ironic, right? I get most people in the forums find that concept boring even, but I've always found that ironic too. Idk probably wrong... it does feel a bit more like this elitist club that doesn't matter. Like the Sex Pistols told them to pound sand. whatever don't care either way.

Ramble ramble ramble.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2017 07:20
  • Post subject:
Anti wrote:

"I respect Gene Simmons, but I think he's wrong on this, because rock & roll is not an instrument and it's not singing," he said. "Rock & roll is a spirit. N.W.A is probably more rock & roll than a lot of the people that he thinks belong there over hip-hop. We had the same spirit as punk rock, the same as the blues."

Absolutely - I've always had the opinion that Little Richard for example actually had more punk rock in him that almost any punk rock artist/group.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2017 07:22
  • Post subject:
Anti wrote:

This this.