Mandela effect in music

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Yann

France

• Posted: 11/12/2017 18:19
  • Post subject: Mandela effect in music
The mandela effect is this very strange phenomenon which consist of many people having a vivid alternative memory of something, as if reality had changed for those things .
Some famous non-musical examples :
Many remember vividly the JFK car where he was assassinated having 4 seats and not 6 seats like it is presented now (residue found : an article in Life magazine showing the 4 seats car)
The Volkswagen logo : many remember it never having the separation between the two letters (like two big V interlaced). Yet it has had this seperation since the begining… (some residues of the logo without separation were found)
The Thinker, by Rodin : many think is was always with a fist on the forehead, and not with the hand on the mouth (no residues, but many imitations of the pose with fist on forehead, including one of Bernard Shaw)
Sex in the City is now Sex and the City
Tom Cruise: no sunglasses in his dance scene in Risky Business..
Etc. There are about 50 known mandela effects to this day, I’d say. If you’re interested, see youtube channels Scarabperformance or Moneybags73

Now, music is concerned too :
So let’s start with these examples :
(credit to Scarabperformance or Moneybags73 on youtube)

1/In the song « With a little help from my Friend » by the Beatles, is it « What would you do if I sang out of tune » or « What would you think if I sang out of tune » ?

2/ Is it Chris Isaac or Chris Isaak ?

3/ Are these bands names without a « the » before : Bee Gees, Ramones, Eagles, Grateful Dead, Sex Pistols, Carpenters, Dave Matthews Band ?

4/ Is Madonna’s birth name : « Madonna Louise Ciccone » or « Louise Ciccone » ?
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/12/2017 21:19
  • Post subject:
Oh interesting. I never heard of this phenomenon before. Is the Beatles one something to do with the Joe Cocker cover version? "Think" in the original but "do" in the cover version (but most people likely presume it is "do" in both)?
Yann

France

• Posted: 11/12/2017 22:18
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Oh interesting. I never heard of this phenomenon before. Is the Beatles one something to do with the Joe Cocker cover version? "Think" in the original but "do" in the cover version (but most people likely presume it is "do" in both)?

In that case, it wouldn't be a mandela effect but a simple confusion between the two versions/lyrics. And it would be documented that Joe Cocker changed the lyrics. But is it ?
In any case, what we can say is that the verb "do" makes much more sense with the next phrase of the lyrics:
"What would you do if I sang out of tune?
Would you stand up and walk out on me?"
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/12/2017 22:37
  • Post subject:
Cocker does sing "do" - I just listened. But he probably did this in the first place due to the Mandela effect!
Yann

France

• Posted: 11/13/2017 07:04
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Cocker does sing "do" - I just listened. But he probably did this in the first place due to the Mandela effect!

That's what I think too
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2017 07:34
  • Post subject:
hang on a second, so you're saying that the beatles originally sang it the way joe cocker sang it, but then time travel changed the beatles recording, but not the joe cocker version? seems like a bit of a leap. maybe this is a thing because before the internet, ppl would get drunk and argue about these trivial things but would just go on with life without being confronted by facts. and now it's like "wtf I'm sure I was right, time must be broken!"

this is pretty silly
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2017 09:21
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
hang on a second, so you're saying that the beatles originally sang it the way joe cocker sang it, but then time travel changed the beatles recording, but not the joe cocker version? seems like a bit of a leap. maybe this is a thing because before the internet, ppl would get drunk and argue about these trivial things but would just go on with life without being confronted by facts. and now it's like "wtf I'm sure I was right, time must be broken!"

this is pretty silly

From what I understand, the Mandela Effect is more of a multiverse phenomena than a time-travel deal. It gets a bit more plausible at least. I don’t subscribe to the theory, but it’s an intriguing topic. What if Mandela really did die in prison in an alternate universe, and a huge swath of people slipped into our universe?
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/13/2017 09:29
  • Post subject:
Hate to be the boring rationalist here, but I really don't think this is a time travel or parallel universe type of scenario here More of a collective false memory based on groups of people believing a mistakenly reported account as it appears plausible (maybe even more plausible than what actually happened!) e.g. people remember the inaccurate Joe Cocker version as it makes more sense. I hope I'm wrong and its more of a 12 monkeys type of scenario though!
Yann

France

• Posted: 11/13/2017 13:46
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:

this is pretty silly

a/ I can confirm that mandela affected people are not all alcoholic.
b/ Generaly false memory is not a precise memory shared by a large group of people, like mandela effect is, hence the creation of the concept.
c/ The aim of this thread was not to find the cause of mandela effect but just give a few musical example and see how BEA members relate to that. Personnaly, and as unsettling it may be for the reasonable person I still think I am, it always was Chris Isaac, and Madonna's birth name was always Louise Ciccone and not Madonna Louise Ciccone, sorry.
d/ As for the late Joe Cocker, whatever you think of this, it would be interesting to check if he remembered having changed the lyrics or not. If yes, this case of Mandela effect would have to be rejected. See, I know my rationality too!
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2017 14:26
  • Post subject:
The most convincing one is the Berenstein Bears. Almost everyone I have talked to; my brother, parents, and friends pretty much all agree it was BerenSTEIN and not BerenSTAIN.
  • Visit poster's website