What do your ratings mean?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/11/2018 16:54
  • Post subject:
Kidding/sarcasm aside, I am not in the interest of making haphazard lists and uninformed selections. I usually find when people have an issue with this, it tends to be borne in a lack of understanding that there exists a massive amount of astonishing music they have yet to hear and experience (usually Classical, Jazz and the most creative and astonishing works of Rock), and they assume their view of this is already complete. If a tree falls in a forest with no one around to hear it, did it really fall? It's an understandable position. So what can occur is an assumption that I must be being hyperbolic -- because there couldnt possibly be albums that are this amazing/profound if theyre not being talked about by most media or my friends (or something along this line of thinking).

It might also help to understand that my criteria page is an attempt to answer most/all of the essential questions Ive been asked over the years about my ratings, while also tying all its points together with the fundamentals/common denominators that serve my evaluations, rankings, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 11/13/2018 14:53
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:

Just because you didnt understand what you read doesnt mean I dont Wink

Hahaha don’t go full Jaden Smith on me now. Tell me, how do you discern ‘awe-inspiring’ from ‘amazing’? It’s great that the dictionary gives you a definition, but in the end it is a feeling. And what you find awe-inspiring one moment will be boring another; it’s all dependent on your mood, how much you’ve listened to it in the past couple days, etc. So that’s why I said: in the end you’re just following your gut; you’re doing what anybody else is doing. Which is not bad in itself, but it would’ve sufficed if you just put one word behind every rating like everyone else. Those dictionary definitions don’t really give much more information; it just changes the question from: “am I awe-inspired?” to: “did I feel an overwhelming amount of reverence?”. It’s just as vague.
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 11/13/2018 15:13
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Kidding/sarcasm aside, I am not in the interest of making haphazard lists and uninformed selections. I usually find when people have an issue with this, it tends to be borne in a lack of understanding that there exists a massive amount of astonishing music they have yet to hear and experience (usually Classical, Jazz and the most creative and astonishing works of Rock), and they assume their view of this is already complete. If a tree falls in a forest with no one around to hear it, did it really fall? It's an understandable position. So what can occur is an assumption that I must be being hyperbolic -- because there couldnt possibly be albums that are this amazing/profound if theyre not being talked about by most media or my friends (or something along this line of thinking).

It might also help to understand that my criteria page is an attempt to answer most/all of the essential questions Ive been asked over the years about my ratings, while also tying all its points together with the fundamentals/common denominators that serve my evaluations, rankings, etc.

I think the way you say “the most creative and astonishing works of Rock” kinda gives away how you think about rock, and that you only deem it of high quality if it conforms to the criteria of classical music and jazz. I see people make that mistake a lot. They say: “see, I value hip hop, I’m open minded”, but the albums they show (often Kanye’s MBDTF or Kendrick’s TPAB) are the albums that show the most resemblences with classical music or jazz (or rock for that matter), be it stylistically or through choice of instruments.

Last edited by Boltzmann on 11/13/2018 15:19; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 11/13/2018 15:17
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:

Oh yes: and thanks for the advice to "find less exciting music to get less excited about".

When did I say that? Or did I just not understand my own words too? XD
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/13/2018 17:37
  • Post subject:
antaiospiano wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

Just because you didnt understand what you read doesnt mean I dont Wink

Hahaha don’t go full Jaden Smith on me now. Tell me, how do you discern ‘awe-inspiring’ from ‘amazing’? It’s great that the dictionary gives you a definition, but in the end it is a feeling. And what you find awe-inspiring one moment will be boring another; it’s all dependent on your mood, how much you’ve listened to it in the past couple days, etc. So that’s why I said: in the end you’re just following your gut; you’re doing what anybody else is doing. Which is not bad in itself, but it would’ve sufficed if you just put one word behind every rating like everyone else. Those dictionary definitions don’t really give much more information; it just changes the question from: “am I awe-inspired?” to: “did I feel an overwhelming amount of reverence?”. It’s just as vague.

All answered if you read my criteria page.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/13/2018 17:41
  • Post subject:
antaiospiano wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

I think the way you say “the most creative and astonishing works of Rock” kinda gives away how you think about rock, and that you only deem it of high quality if it conforms to the criteria of classical music and jazz. I see people make that mistake a lot. They say: “see, I value hip hop, I’m open minded”, but the albums they show (often Kanye’s MBDTF or Kendrick’s TPAB) are the albums that show the most resemblences with classical music or jazz (or rock for that matter), be it stylistically or through choice of instruments.

Seems like you're trying to make assumptions about something you yourself haven't experienced. If you haven't assimilated the albums on my lists (or a very small percentage of them) your opinion doesnt really count for much (same if it were me to another's list of albums I was unfamiliar with or hardly familiar with).
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/13/2018 17:50
  • Post subject:
antaiospiano wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

Oh yes: and thanks for the advice to "find less exciting music to get less excited about".

When did I say that? Or did I just not understand my own words too? XD

It wasn't a serious reply but to clarify... The quotations call attention to the joke, which was putting words in your mouth (so to speak) to make fun of your "calm down" comment.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2018 18:10
  • Post subject:
antaiospiano wrote:
Or did I just not understand my own words too? XD

lol

my system is pretty complicated check this out

1 - not as good as 2
2 - not as good as 3
3 - not as good as 4
4 - not as good as 5
5 - not as good as 6
6 - not as good as 7
7 - not as good as 8
8 - not as good as 9
9 - not as good as 10
10 - not as good as 10.5
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2018 20:16
  • Post subject:
First, I have to gather up my various energy crystals and sacred totems in my lambskin ritual satchel. I then set out at 4 am to get to the nearest natural body of water. Once there, I place the various trinkets and crystals in a crescent shape to represent the yin and yang of the Sun and Moon. I begin to play the album. As the sun rises over the lake, depending on the solar declination, various objects will light up corresponding to the music that is being played. I record the data into several categories including empathy, apathy, piquancy, angularity, humor, stickiness and digestion. (This will help me determine the physical and mental impact of the album later.) These categories are subsequently rationalized into a fractional outcome. (Keep in mind that 7 is the base line and that numbers greater than 7 are added, and numbers less than 7 are subtracted.)

Here, for an example,

The Beatles Abbey Road

Empathy- 10:7
Apathy- 1:7
Piquancy- 2:7
Angularity- 1:7
Humor- 11:7
Stickiness- 10:7
Digestion- 10:7

Total- 37/49

This album may aid in digestion and humor, but it could also result in an increase in degreelessness.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/13/2018 20:21
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
First, I have to gather up my various energy crystals and sacred totems in my lambskin ritual satchel. I then set out at 4 am to get to the nearest natural body of water. Once there, I place the various trinkets and crystals in a crescent shape to represent the yin and yang of the Sun and Moon. I begin to play the album. As the sun rises over the lake, depending on the solar declination, various objects will light up corresponding to the music that is being played. I record the data into several categories including empathy, apathy, piquancy, angularity, humor, stickiness and digestion. (This will help me determine the physical and mental impact of the album later.) These categories are subsequently rationalized into a fractional outcome. (Keep in mind that 7 is the base line and that numbers greater than 7 are added, and numbers less than 7 are subtracted.)

Here, for an example,

The Beatles Abbey Road

Empathy- 10:7
Apathy- 1:7
Piquancy- 2:7
Angularity- 1:7
Humor- 11:7
Stickiness- 10:7
Digestion- 10:7

Total- 37/49

This album may aid in digestion and humor, but it could also result in an increase in degreelessness.

Finally! Someone really undestands me! Laughing
  • Visit poster's website