Do your musical preferences have a 'default setting'?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 12/03/2017 12:09
  • Post subject: Do your musical preferences have a 'default setting'?
I realised this morning that no matter how many times I try out new musical styles and critically acclaimed albums, I always come back to the same sort of thing. This great epiphany happened when I was listening to this:

I knew instantly I would listen to this album way more than any other from this year. Because its exactly what I always listen to!! (I think Futurama nailed this genre as "Monsters of vaguely alternative folk-rock".)

I've tried a lot of things over the years, but this kind of music seems to be the one thing that always works for me. I'm now thinking of this as my 'default setting' (cant think of a better way of putting it Confused) It reassuringly feels just right, like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers.

Having dropped this bombshell, I'm now wondering...

Do you have a 'default setting' for your tastes or are they pretty much eclectic?
If yes:
What is it and when did it kick in?
What album best represents your default setting (if you have one)?
Does knowing your default setting help you to find music you like or do you feel like it holds you back from appreciating more stuff?
Does it exert much influence on your charts or do you rebel against it!?

Am I talking nonsense? Am I the only one to experience this phenomenon!!? d'oh!

No need to answer all the above. Just food for thought. Smile
Daydreamer

• Posted: 12/03/2017 12:17
  • Post subject:
I don't know how I would definte such a default setting for me, but it definitely exists.
It's cool when you try out new things and broaden your tastes, but there is something satisfying about hearing something and instantly thinking "hey, this is my shit, this is what I like".

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2017 12:27
  • Post subject: Re: Do your musical preferences have a 'default setting'?
Michael1981 wrote:
I realised this morning that no matter how many times I try out new musical styles and critically acclaimed albums, I always come back to the same sort of thing. This great epiphany happened when I was listening to this:

I knew instantly I would listen to this album way more than any other from this year. Because its exactly what I always listen to!! (I think Futurama nailed this genre as "Monsters of vaguely alternative folk-rock".)

I've tried a lot of things over the years, but this kind of music seems to be the one thing that always works for me. I'm now thinking of this as my 'default setting' (cant think of a better way of putting it Confused) It reassuringly feels just right, like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers.

Do you have a 'default setting' for your tastes or are they pretty much eclectic?
If yes:
Does knowing your default setting help you to find music you like or do you feel like it holds you back from appreciating more stuff?

Applause

Brilliant post. I totally have one. I need to listen to more jazz/electronica for instance. I love it but talways forget all about it and tend to return to "rock" in any of its guises.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2017 12:28
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
I don't know how I would definte such a default setting for me, but it definitely exists.
It's cool when you try out new things and broaden your tastes, but there is something satisfying about hearing something and instantly thinking "hey, this is my shit, this is what I like".

lol. so true!
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 12/03/2017 13:34
  • Post subject: Re: Do your musical preferences have a 'default setting'?
Tilly wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:

If yes:

Applause

Brilliant post. I totally have one. I need to listen to more jazz/electronica for instance. I love it but talways forget all about it and tend to return to "rock" in any of its guises.

Thanks! Yeah, I think when people have rock as their first musical love they keep coming back to it. I am fascinated by Jazz, but there are probably less than 5 albums I've listened to a great deal- compared to 5,000 indie pop/rock sort of albums!!
theblueboy

• Posted: 12/03/2017 13:36
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Daydreamer wrote:

lol. so true!

Yeah, that was totally my feeling from Kurt and Courtney Laughing
Yann

France

• Posted: 12/03/2017 13:53
  • Post subject:
I suppose the default setting is the music one listened from 0 to 12 year old ?
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2017 18:08
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:

I would agree with this.

I was raised on classic rock radio, and pretty much anything from the 60's or 70's I can jam to at anytime.

However, I definitely vary what I listen to all of the time. I like too many different sounds to listen to stuff that sounds to similar.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 12/03/2017 21:23
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I would agree with this.

I was raised on classic rock radio, and pretty much anything from the 60's or 70's I can jam to at anytime.

However, I definitely vary what I listen to all of the time. I like too many different sounds to listen to stuff that sounds to similar.

Agree with everything here.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 12/03/2017 21:54
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:

Yeah, in my original post I was thinking about how my tastes seem to chrystalise in my late teens and that I've come back to this kind of album ever since. But I think all the main building blocks were put in place earlier in the music I was raised on 0-12. For me that means a whole lot of 80s rock and pop. And that Michael Jackson fella'. I do like coming back to this era of music so it must be somewhere in my musical DNA.