Temporary33 wrote:
79 for tom petty.

May he rest in peace!
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2017 17:18
  • Post subject:
Pretty much every year through '76 was stellar; after that, things drop off rather dramatically.

For sheer volume of albums I love, it's '73 - '76, but for the ultimate level of quality, '71 is the clear runaway winner.

The wayyyyyy best year for rock, and a killer year for fusion as well.

Who's Next - The Who
Sticky Fingers - Rolling Stones
Every Good Boy Deserves Favour - Moody Blues
Fragile - Yes
The Inner Mounting Flame - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Aqualung - Jethro Tull
First Light - Freddie Hubbard
Maggot Brain - Funkadelic
The Yes Album - Yes
Jack Johnson - Miles Davis
Tarkus - Emerson, Lake and Palmer
IV - Led Zeppelin
Straight Life - Freddie Hubbard
Tago Mago - Can
Budgie - Budgie
Live at the Lighthouse - Lee Morgan
Dust - Dust
L. A. Woman - The Doors
Master of Reality - Black Sabbath
Meddle - Pink Floyd
Nursery Cryme - Genesis
Fireball - Deep Purple
The Electric Light Orchestra - Electric Light Orchestra
Pictures at an Exhibition - Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Ring of Hands - Argent
Camembert Electrique - Gong
Tapestry - Carole King
Look at Yourself - Uriah Heep
Muswell Hillbillies - Kinks
Teaser and the Firecat - Cat Stevens
Carpenters - The Carpenters
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2017 17:25
  • Post subject:
I would probably go with 1971, but looks like it already won. So I'll go with '78 again to give it a token vote. I picked '78 as well in the first thread:

https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=15635

On 3/15/17, StreetSpirit wrote:
Close call between 1971 and '78 but I'm going with 1978...

I like '78. Three of my favorite bands had killer debuts that year (Van Halen, Cars, Police). In addition, good albums from Billy Joel, Rush, Foreigner, The Clash, The Stones, The Who, and Elvis Costello.

Last edited by CA Dreamin on 12/31/2017 17:46; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2017 17:34
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I would probably go with 1971, but looks it already won. So I'll go with '78 again to give it a token vote. I picked '78 as well in the first thread:

https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=15635

I like '78. Three of my favorite bands had killer debuts that year (Van Halen, Cars, Police). In addition, good albums from Billy Joel, Rush, Foreigner, The Clash, The Stones, The Who, and Elvis Costello.

1971 may have a far and away lead but there are at least 3 days to vote, I have the polls going for 5 days each. What's cool though is with your vote for 1978, you just gave every year a vote. The 1959-1969 thread didn't have votes for 61,62, or 64 if I remember correctly. Van Halen 1 and Rush- Hemispheres are two of my top 25, and a couple of the records with the absolute biggest impact on me as a musician. Overall, 1978 is not my favorite year for musical output, but those two records in particular are amazing.
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2017 17:36
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I would probably go with 1971, but looks it already won. So I'll go with '78 again to give it a token vote.

Good thinking. I should have done the same thing. Would have loved to throw a vote at the otherwise horribly underrated '75.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2017 17:41
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I would probably go with 1971, but looks it already won. So I'll go with '78 again to give it a token vote.

Good thinking. I should have done the same thing. Would have loved to throw a vote at the otherwise horribly underrated '75.

I'm always blown away with the output of 1975. But hey, you voted for what you voted for and 1971 features some absolutely mesmerizing records as you listed. I just listened to Maggot Brain and Inner Mounting Flame (and I fucking adore Billy Cobham's drumming) for the first time recently.
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2017 17:52
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Fischman wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:

I'm always blown away with the output of 1975. But hey, you voted for what you voted for and 1971 features some absolutely mesmerizing records as you listed. I just listened to Maggot Brain and Inner Mounting Flame (and I fucking adore Billy Cobham's drumming) for the first time recently.

Yes... Billy Cobham is totally amazing, quite likely the most musical drummer ever.

If you're getting into fusion and Cobham, check out his great disc, Spectrum ('73), which is nothing short of astounding; right up there with Inner Mountain Flame. Not only is Cobham in top form, there's insanely creative fusion guitar from Tommy Bolin and fantastic fusion bass work from Lee Sklar.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2017 18:09
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:

For me, '78 is an underrated year. Is it as objectively good as '71? Maybe not, but I find '78 more interesting. It was a convergence time for several music movements. Classic rock was past its heyday but still going. Arena rock, punk, new wave, and hair metal were newer and vibrant. And it was the heyday of disco, the quality of which is perhaps under scrutiny, but it is undeniably fun. Sure, the early '70s had more top-tier albums, but I prefer the late-70s for the diversity.

AAL2014 wrote:
Van Halen 1 and Rush- Hemispheres are two of my top 25, and a couple of the records with the absolute biggest impact on me as a musician. Overall, 1978 is not my favorite year for musical output, but those two records in particular are amazing.

The Cars self-titled and 52nd Street are in my Top 25, with Van Halen 1 farther down in my Top 100. '78 is def one my favorite years, and an underrated year when it comes to this poll. It was hard to believe it had 0 votes before I came along.

This one's for you AAL, this was also '78:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7U9TC0eiv0
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2017 18:12
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
Fischman wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Yes... Billy Cobham is totally amazing, quite likely the most musical drummer ever.

If you're getting into fusion and Cobham, check out his great disc, Spectrum ('73), which is nothing short of astounding; right up there with Inner Mountain Flame. Not only is Cobham in top form, there's insanely creative fusion guitar from Tommy Bolin and fantastic fusion bass work from Lee Sklar.

Yes, Spectrum is a fantastic fusion record, one of my favorite drummer lead projects ever. I saw him twice in the past 5 or so years doing a 40th anniversary tribute to Spectrum with Dean Brown, Ric Fierabracci, and Gary Husband (also a phenomenal drummer), both times in a tiny club called the Jazz Cafe underneath Music Hall in Detroit. The second time I saw the group, Cobham had just turned 70 years old and the guy is up there playing better than 95% of drummers I've seen at any age.

Cobham was the perfect mix of musicality and musical athleticism. His style has certainly changed since Spectrum's release in 73, and you can hear gradual changes as new influences were gained along the way like on Picture This for example, but now he's more musical than ever. In the 70's Cobham was not only (on many accounts) the greatest drummer on Earth, but the most athletic. Watching solos and live shows from the mid-70's always baffles me, his stamina was off the charts. He was a sprinter, a point guard, and a linebacker rolled into one. Inspiring to say the least. I don't know why it took me so long to press play on The Inner Mounting Flame as Birds of Fire has been a favorite of mine for a few years now, I'm just glad I finally did Applause
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/31/2017 18:20
  • Post subject:
Quote:
And it was the heyday of disco, the quality of which is perhaps under scrutiny,

Not in the current musical climate it isn’t.
  • Visit poster's website