Best albums about death and mortality?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/18/2018 11:10
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
I don't know it (or Joni Mitchell's career very well). Theres a whole lot for me to explore there some day. I was just reading she has an album about the passing of Charles Mingus as well.

I'll put that song on later today. Thanks.

The album Mingus was actually made with him while he was still alive. He wrote the melodies for it. But he died the next year.

Oh right. Thanks. Sounds like an interesting collaboration. Worth checking out?
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/18/2018 11:15
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I would pick any album by Type O Negative. Never before has there been so many song titles with the words dead or death in the title. Of course, this is all dealt with in a humorous type way. Which of course is the only sensible way to do it. Or at least the only interesting way. I guess I pick the album Life is Killing Me, but all of their albums have the same type vibe.
Then there's a shitload of goth-y albums, they really love the topic of death too. But they're just not as fun as Type O Negative.

Oh I heard this about them before and you just reminded me. Yeah dealing with death in a humourous way totally makes sense to me. I guess a lot of people's favourite song on this topic would be "always look on the bright side of life" by Eric Idle. Which is a good choice for me.

Yeah, Type O Negative are like Halloween. It's all about dead people and death and other scary and unpleasant things, but it's fun!!! Lol

Hehe it might be too heavy for me these days but I will have to stick some on and give it a try!
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/18/2018 11:54
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
The latest song by MGMT, with an incredible video ! (warning: not for the faint of heart Neutral )

Link

Wow that is pretty visionary. Powerful change of tone in the middle of the song. That was gripping. Something reminded me of There There by Radiohead (my favourite Radiohead song). Not sure what is was though.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2018 12:00
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
I don't know it (or Joni Mitchell's career very well). Theres a whole lot for me to explore there some day. I was just reading she has an album about the passing of Charles Mingus as well.

I'll put that song on later today. Thanks.

The album Mingus was actually made with him while he was still alive. He wrote the melodies for it. But he died the next year.

Oh right. Thanks. Sounds like an interesting collaboration. Worth checking out?

Yeah it is worth checking out. It's not nearly as interestingt as the stuff she made up till that point, but better than anything she made afterwards. Right now I can think of two songs that I love, God Must Be a Boogie Man and The Wolf that Lives in Lindsay. And the music on the whole thing is very good.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/18/2018 12:06
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Oh yes. a great album, including A Dream, a difficult but wonderful piece of music:

Link

Beauutiful. I'm wondering if they wrote the words or took them from writings of Andy Warhol? It's brilliantly authentic and poetic.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2018 12:12
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I would pick any album by Type O Negative. Never before has there been so many song titles with the words dead or death in the title. Of course, this is all dealt with in a humorous type way. Which of course is the only sensible way to do it. Or at least the only interesting way. I guess I pick the album Life is Killing Me, but all of their albums have the same type vibe.
Then there's a shitload of goth-y albums, they really love the topic of death too. But they're just not as fun as Type O Negative.

Oh I heard this about them before and you just reminded me. Yeah dealing with death in a humourous way totally makes sense to me. I guess a lot of people's favourite song on this topic would be "always look on the bright side of life" by Eric Idle. Which is a good choice for me.

Yeah, Type O Negative are like Halloween. It's all about dead people and death and other scary and unpleasant things, but it's fun!!! Lol

Hehe it might be too heavy for me these days but I will have to stick some on and give it a try!

It's not the kind of heavy that would make you depressed or anyting. In fact, just a couple days ago I listened to their album October Rust again and immediately put it in my top 100. That's how much I enjoyed it.
  • Visit poster's website
Crumpet

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/18/2018 16:28
  • Post subject:
Blackstar by David Bowie, it was all the more poignant considering the fact that he was dying at the time (infact he died a week after the album came out).

• Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/18/2018 16:29
  • Post subject:
I gave Life is killing me by Type O Negative a listen for a few tracks. Not my usual tipple but sounded good. Not too heavy (sonically or emotionally). I couldn't get into it today but at least I know it's there now!
Yann

France

• Posted: 03/18/2018 17:54
  • Post subject:
Crumpet wrote:
Blackstar by David Bowie, it was all the more poignant considering the fact that he was dying at the time (infact he died a week after the album came out).

Yes, and we can compare it to the absolutely beautiful song by Leonard Cohen: You Want It Darker

Last edited by Yann on 03/18/2018 21:32; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2018 18:32
  • Post subject:

Don't Worry About Me by Joey Ramone
  • Visit poster's website