View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/19/2018 13:30
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Kinda sketchy past for me...

I listened to mostly country music up until my parents split. After that I remember sitting in my dad's truck on the beach every weekend, instead of swimming with the kids I was hooked on Casey Casem's top 40 countdown. Hanson's "Mmm Bop" was the first #1 song I remember. So for about three years that was a thing. Smash Mouth, Savage Garden and whatever else was mainstream in the late 90s. Then I thought I'd found the holy grail when discovering TRL in '99, as I was on team nu-metal with the likes of Korn, Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock, rooting against the boy bands and pop princesses (though usually coming out on the losing end). Eventually I outgrew them for more "mature" metal like Slipknot, System of a Down,, Disturbed and Tool. That was most of high school, until in my senior year I got into classic rock. I amassed a very large CD collection including the entire discographies of the likes of Zeppelin, Floyd, Queen, Creedence, etc. Again I thought I had reached the top or the mountain... until Bob Dylan came along (Dylan may be considered classic rock, but not in the south lol). Yeah, let's just go with that. Bob Dylan got me into music... Except not really. But I like to think he did.

you should have just gone swimming!!! Razz
  • Visit poster's website
911Turbo

Canada

• Posted: 03/19/2018 13:45
  • Post subject:
Alice Cooper- Love it to Death
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 03/19/2018 17:27
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
glynspsa wrote:
The Beatles introduced me
The Velvet Underground seduced me
and The Grateful Dead won my heart.

Well said.

Geez... this is hard for me because I am the youngest of a family with 5 kids and two hippie parents.

My Dad grew up in Florida in the 50's and 60's - he'd run off away from his white family and visit the tent churches. He got into what I'll call black people music - soul, gospel, R&B, which naturally lent to Motown and early rock and roll etc. So Ray Charles, Little Richard, Aretha Franklin, etc.

My oldest brother... actually I ain't got time to write more - my family had really good musical taste (imo and I'm grateful for it), that's probably all I'll say. Except my mom did torture me with like The Carpenters and Julio Inglecias from time to time.

Here are the records that really started my musical beginnings at like 5 to 10 years old and really shaped me musically.

My second oldest brother worshiped Mahler, so a wide variety of it was playing (we shared a room).

The 3 B's (Beethoven, Bach, Brahms) was a CD I remember playing along with Vivaldi. (more my Dad)

We forget how people still listened to classical music a lot in the 60's. Even hippies apparently Wink
Now I understand your avatar picture better Cool
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 03/19/2018 17:52
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
glynspsa wrote:
The Beatles introduced me
The Velvet Underground seduced me
and The Grateful Dead won my heart.

Well said.

Geez... this is hard for me because I am the youngest of a family with 5 kids and two hippie parents.

My Dad grew up in Florida in the 50's and 60's - he'd run off away from his white family and visit the tent churches. He got into what I'll call black people music - soul, gospel, R&B, which naturally lent to Motown and early rock and roll etc. So Ray Charles, Little Richard, Aretha Franklin, etc.

My oldest brother... actually I ain't got time to write more - my family had really good musical taste (imo and I'm grateful for it), that's probably all I'll say. Except my mom did torture me with like The Carpenters and Julio Inglecias from time to time.

Here are the records that really started my musical beginnings at like 5 to 10 years old and really shaped me musically.

My second oldest brother worshiped Mahler, so a wide variety of it was playing (we shared a room).

The 3 B's (Beethoven, Bach, Brahms) was a CD I remember playing along with Vivaldi. (more my Dad)

We forget how people still listened to classical music a lot in the 60's. Even hippies apparently Wink
Now I understand your avatar picture better Cool

You also listen to classical music in the 90s/00s if you don't like classic hip-hop/R&B
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 03/19/2018 20:43
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:

You also listen to classical music in the 90s/00s if you don't like classic hip-hop/R&B

I'm afraid I didn't understand this enigmatic comment : )
  • Visit poster's website
brun027

Brazil

• Posted: 03/19/2018 22:39
  • Post subject:
I was 14 years old when I found out about Os Mutantes, I'd always been somewhat into music before but this is the band that really made it for me. Revolutionary; opened my eyes for a whole new musical world and probably made me start the whole album-listening habit. I was tottaly obsessed by everything they did and they really stood out from everything else I was trying at the time (beatles, floyds and all that)

The next band that was huuge for me, some time later, was The Velvet Underground, so I'd say these were the two milestones of that formative period.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 03/19/2018 23:03
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
YoungPunk wrote:

I'm afraid I didn't understand this enigmatic comment : )

The music on the radio was so bad I had to listen to classical music Smile
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 03/19/2018 23:05
  • Post subject:
Seriously, does anyone know of a major artist worse than Britney Spears?

(I know this isn't worst ever albums...)
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/19/2018 23:09
  • Post subject:
Black Sabbath at a family reunion with my hippie aunt who was also sneaking us beers. lol.
She proceeded to give me all her Sabbath cassettes which was all stuff from the early 70s.
Then Def Leppard's High n' Dry with my friend Peter English.
Also I really liked Kiss & AC/DC back then too (and still do! lol. )
Led Zeppelin came like a year later.
  • Visit poster's website
antiquusxy

• Posted: 03/19/2018 23:12
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
Seriously, does anyone know of a major artist worse than Britney Spears?

(I know this isn't worst ever albums...)

There are loads, considering Britney's actually put out a good album or two ("Blackout" is unashamedly impressive dance/electro-pop). Try Meghan Trainor or perhaps Ed Sheeran