Get To Know A Top 10: April 2018 Thread - Luigii

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2018 17:31
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
I'm about to depart on a 4 hour drive across the state, I'll start this month by streaming that Sweet Trip record along the way and come back with my thoughts.

Have a good trip as well as good luck on the music.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 04/01/2018 17:39
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Have a sweet trip as well as good luck on the music.

what was meant
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2018 17:46
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
what was meant

I did notice that, but I didn't want to be that guy that would put puns in speeches. However, I do recommend that you did that because it was funny.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2018 06:30
  • Post subject:

Velocity : Design : Comfort by Sweet Trip

Okay, so I listened to this once during my drive..and I felt like I barely scratched the surface of the beauty behind this album. There is A LOT going on here, and for the most part I loved it. I could honestly see this making my overall chart with more listens. Fruitcake and Cookies is probably the track that stood out to me the most, but I wasn't paying much attention to individual songs as opposed to the experience as a whole. After first listen I would give it an 8/10 which is a truly great record on my scale, but like I said I could see it going up to a 9/10 and possibly into my overall chart as well after more listens. Do I think its the greatest album of all time? No, but I love that you do. Many more listens will be required to fully dissect this album.
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2018 14:37
  • Post subject: Re: Get To Know A Top 10: April Thread - Luigii
Luigii wrote:
Anti wrote:

So in efforts to stop buying new CD's and wave and save money (which hasn't been working lately), I've started to revisit my top 250ish albums and refurbish my overall chart. Since starting the project, I was able to revisit some albums I haven't heard in years and a few of them appear on this chart, fortunately.

Starting with Sweet Trip... damn. What an addicting listen. I discovered it similar to how badseed discovered it. I purchased the CD out of pure instinct on Amazon because I had a gut feeling that this album was going to be good and holy shit it was. I remember sitting in my dorm freshman year of college, waiting in between classes on a cool, crisp, and vibrant spring afternoon, putting the album on for the first time, and nearly defecating my pants because of how much fun I was having with this album. It's a perfect balance of serene beauty and glitched-out chaos. I revisited it a few weeks ago while running on an afternoon similar to the afternoon when I first listened to the album and it was an indescribably euphoria.

Geogaddi is an album I keep neglecting and I hate myself for doing so. The only other albums I've heard by Boards of Canada are Music Has The Right To Children and In A Beautiful Place Out in the Country, but it's so interesting to campare Geogaddi to them. It's a darker and, in my opinion, a tougher listen, but highly rewarding at the same time.

Going back to my favorite albums project, I revisited Virgins by Tim Hecker while studying for a Human Physiology exam and it got even better with age. It's like a collision of beauty and anxiety. I think I like it more than Ravedeath, 1972 now, but we'll see when the project is over.

Pop by Gas is an album I want to LOVE, but I only like. I want to be completely engulfed by my listen, but something about it prevents me from doing so. I really enjoyed Narkopop, though, and I hope his new album coming out this year will be just as good.

And I'm not even going to go into TPAB because I am not worthy.

With Pop, my guess is that unlike Narkopop as well as his records back in the 90's, Pop doesn't go through these dense and hazy soundscapes. Unless you want to count the last track. Hell at first I remember myself loving the first three songs due to how transcendental those songs are. Makes me feel invisible within this world. But I remember being somewhat bored with Pop 4 until I revisited the album again. And notice the deceptive but multilayered songs. That was the determining point for Pop getting the 100 from me. Also I'm surprised that Gas is coming out with another album this year.

Next, with Boards, I would also recommend The Campfire Headphase as well. Geogaddi is the duos magnum opus while my personal favorite from Boards is Campfire. Now with Tim Hecker, Virgins is only a smidge better to Harmony in Ultraviolet. Another album that I gave a 100. But Virgins is just otherworldly as well as just being reminding me of this forgotten society. However, this takes place 1000 years later. Also the last track on Virgins is jaw dropping.

Lastly, I need to buy Sweet Trip on CD as well. Going to look for that when I will be going to London during Memorial day weekend. Also I'm kinda curious why you feel not worthy for TPAB. Is it that there really isn't that much to say about out it or your just not crazy about it? Either option is perfectly fine.

I just added the Campfire Headphase to my Spotify queue, thank you for the recommendation. And regarding TPAB, I LOVE that album, haha, I just don't think I'm well-spoken enough to discuss my love for it.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2018 15:21
  • Post subject:
Four Things About Geogaddi

1. I had it in my original 100.

2. Track 3, "Beware the Friendly Stranger" is the music that's used in the Salad Fingers videos on Youtube. (Most probably know this, but I thought it would be appropriate).

Link

3. The last track "Magic Window" is completely silent, and was added for the sole purpose of extending the album's running time to 66 minutes and 6 seconds.

4. This is one of my favorite tracks. It blows my mind how BoC can take such a simple sample and turn it into such a haunting piece of music.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2018 17:19
  • Post subject: Re: Get To Know A Top 10: April Thread - Luigii
Anti wrote:
Luigii wrote:
Anti wrote:

So in efforts to stop buying new CD's and wave and save money (which hasn't been working lately), I've started to revisit my top 250ish albums and refurbish my overall chart. Since starting the project, I was able to revisit some albums I haven't heard in years and a few of them appear on this chart, fortunately.

Starting with Sweet Trip... damn. What an addicting listen. I discovered it similar to how badseed discovered it. I purchased the CD out of pure instinct on Amazon because I had a gut feeling that this album was going to be good and holy shit it was. I remember sitting in my dorm freshman year of college, waiting in between classes on a cool, crisp, and vibrant spring afternoon, putting the album on for the first time, and nearly defecating my pants because of how much fun I was having with this album. It's a perfect balance of serene beauty and glitched-out chaos. I revisited it a few weeks ago while running on an afternoon similar to the afternoon when I first listened to the album and it was an indescribably euphoria.

Geogaddi is an album I keep neglecting and I hate myself for doing so. The only other albums I've heard by Boards of Canada are Music Has The Right To Children and In A Beautiful Place Out in the Country, but it's so interesting to campare Geogaddi to them. It's a darker and, in my opinion, a tougher listen, but highly rewarding at the same time.

Going back to my favorite albums project, I revisited Virgins by Tim Hecker while studying for a Human Physiology exam and it got even better with age. It's like a collision of beauty and anxiety. I think I like it more than Ravedeath, 1972 now, but we'll see when the project is over.

Pop by Gas is an album I want to LOVE, but I only like. I want to be completely engulfed by my listen, but something about it prevents me from doing so. I really enjoyed Narkopop, though, and I hope his new album coming out this year will be just as good.

And I'm not even going to go into TPAB because I am not worthy.

With Pop, my guess is that unlike Narkopop as well as his records back in the 90's, Pop doesn't go through these dense and hazy soundscapes. Unless you want to count the last track. Hell at first I remember myself loving the first three songs due to how transcendental those songs are. Makes me feel invisible within this world. But I remember being somewhat bored with Pop 4 until I revisited the album again. And notice the deceptive but multilayered songs. That was the determining point for Pop getting the 100 from me. Also I'm surprised that Gas is coming out with another album this year.

Next, with Boards, I would also recommend The Campfire Headphase as well. Geogaddi is the duos magnum opus while my personal favorite from Boards is Campfire. Now with Tim Hecker, Virgins is only a smidge better to Harmony in Ultraviolet. Another album that I gave a 100. But Virgins is just otherworldly as well as just being reminding me of this forgotten society. However, this takes place 1000 years later. Also the last track on Virgins is jaw dropping.

Lastly, I need to buy Sweet Trip on CD as well. Going to look for that when I will be going to London during Memorial day weekend. Also I'm kinda curious why you feel not worthy for TPAB. Is it that there really isn't that much to say about out it or your just not crazy about it? Either option is perfectly fine.

I just added the Campfire Headphase to my Spotify queue, thank you for the recommendation. And regarding TPAB, I LOVE that album, haha, I just don't think I'm well-spoken enough to discuss my love for it.

I had a feeling that was going to happen with TPAB. I have the same feeling with it as well. But with me it's a lot more Everyone talked about how good this album was, I feel like I can't put a new spin on the album.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2018 22:39
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:

Velocity : Design : Comfort by Sweet Trip

Okay, so I listened to this once during my drive..and I felt like I barely scratched the surface of the beauty behind this album. There is A LOT going on here, and for the most part I loved it. I could honestly see this making my overall chart with more listens. Fruitcake and Cookies is probably the track that stood out to me the most, but I wasn't paying much attention to individual songs as opposed to the experience as a whole. After first listen I would give it an 8/10 which is a truly great record on my scale, but like I said I could see it going up to a 9/10 and possibly into my overall chart as well after more listens. Do I think its the greatest album of all time? No, but I love that you do. Many more listens will be required to fully dissect this album.

My point with my list is to give users options that people would might disregard. Glad that you enjoyed Velocity a lot. Curious if this forum will cause these albums get more recognition. But time will tell.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2018 22:42
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Four Things About Geogaddi

1. I had it in my original 100.

2. Track 3, "Beware the Friendly Stranger" is the music that's used in the Salad Fingers videos on Youtube. (Most probably know this, but I thought it would be appropriate).

Link

3. The last track "Magic Window" is completely silent, and was added for the sole purpose of extending the album's running time to 66 minutes and 6 seconds.

4. This is one of my favorite tracks. It blows my mind how BoC can take such a simple sample and turn it into such a haunting piece of music.

Link

In all honestly, Geogaddi is one of those album that over time will take over in there discography as the biggest highlight. Hell these details would show how this album is more interesting compared to their debut. Even when the debut is a necessary time to listen to.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2018 22:48
  • Post subject:
I never got the hype on geogaddi to be honest. like it's solid and pushing into interesting territory for sure, and maybe part of it is me never getting over it leaking in 96kbps, but theres some dull patches on it for me. Like music is math, that main melody thing always hits me as the wrong side of cheesy, and sunshine recorder/julie and candy/1969 all have their strengths but at the same time it sort of feels lacking? I dunno, it's all a cool space to exist in but I love being in telephasic workshop so much more.
  • Visit poster's website