Get To Know A Top 10: April 2018 Thread - Luigii

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2018 00:23
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
So are there any styles of music that you feel like are a significant part of your listening, but aren't represented here? or perhaps a new interest that you could see growing over time. do you think this top 10 will expand to cover more territory, or do you feel like this represents all the types of music that you will be most enthusiastic about in the near future?

This is actually a really good question to bring up and will be happy to answer this.

For the first question, I do argue that some genres that I do have a high rating doesn't get represented. For one the jazz rock of Steely Dan or Jazz Rock in general isn't represented in this list. So is the more laid back folk albums from Joni Mitchell, Everything But The Girl and the recent Kacey Musgraves album. Maybe the funk, even though Kendrick Lamar has that covered.There might be some other genres or micro genres that are going over me but I can't remember them or know them.

Second I do see another interest building up over time. I will say metal music in general needs an uptick from me. I do want listen to stuff like Judas Priest, Motorhead, Gwar, Faith No More as well as the drone qualities of metal like Sunn O as well as Purient. So that can bring a tide of who will get in my Top 100.

Now question three and probably the hardest one of the bunch, because what will end up happening is I think the Top 10 as well as my greatest list will be organized into a food pyramid structure. Where I will give separate genres there well deserve due. Now for the future, I can't tell. The albums that I love, I will continue to love. Sure I will have my niches to appeal to, but I will always be willing to view albums that venture away from my comfort zones or at meet at the middle for me. An example of this is Blur's 13. Maybe the enthusiasm will drain when I get way older but being on this site has made me try new things and it does show. Have over 500 albums underneath my belt and isn't stopping there. The thing I do see happening when I get older is that I will want to re-listen to stuff to see if my personal enjoyment goes higher or lower for me. Again thank you.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2018 02:52
  • Post subject:
Maybe after the month is over I will post all the albums that I have give a 100 on this forum to give more context of what I enjoy.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2018 20:52
  • Post subject:
I didn't really care for Carcal much. The production just didn't really bring anything new or interesting to the table imo. The features were all just meh too, I feel they could have got better artists to feature.

Geogaddi on the other hand...I will admit it is probably the "best" BoC record, even better than my beloved Campfire Headphase. It is one of those atmospheric records that whether you're in the mood for it or not, it's going to pull you deep inside its world. They did exactly what they were trying to do here, basically flawlessly. Campfire Headphase is more my aesthetic though, Geogaddi is just so ominous that I don't see myself coming back to it much. But if it was my aesthetic I'd likely have it high in my overall chart, great record.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2018 21:22
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
I didn't really care for Carcal much. The production just didn't really bring anything new or interesting to the table imo. The features were all just meh too, I feel they could have got better artists to feature.

Geogaddi on the other hand...I will admit it is probably the "best" BoC record, even better than my beloved Campfire Headphase. It is one of those atmospheric records that whether you're in the mood for it or not, it's going to pull you deep inside its world. They did exactly what they were trying to do here, basically flawlessly. Campfire Headphase is more my aesthetic though, Geogaddi is just so ominous that I don't see myself coming back to it much. But if it was my aesthetic I'd likely have it high in my overall chart, great record.

Glad that you enjoy Geogaddi. Weirdly enough, maybe in a couple of years Campfire could get in my top 10. Though with Caracal that album is staying and probably be my #1 when I gather over 1000 or 2000 records under my belt. Love that record. Love the sound. Love the world Caracal takes me.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2018 00:11
  • Post subject:
Onto Virgins by Tim Hecker. Never listened to him before so this is my intro to his music.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2018 00:13
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
Onto Virgins by Tim Hecker. Never listened to him before so this is my intro to his music.

You may not like it. Hell I feel Harmony in Ultraviolet is a better intro to his work.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2018 12:13
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
You may not like it. Hell I feel Harmony in Ultraviolet is a better intro to his work.

I listened to Virgins last night and I'm not so sure about it. I like it, but it didn't wow me. Maybe I should start with Harmony and come back to Virgins at a later time?

Also I might skip your Bjork record for this month. I'm planning on fully dissecting her music soon since I'm relatively unfamiliar with her discography. I'll start with Debut and go in order. I'm hoping to start that within the next month or two after I finish with MF DOOM and Jay-Z.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2018 20:15
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Maybe after the month is over I will post all the albums that I have give a 100 on this forum to give more context of what I enjoy.

That'd be cool.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2018 23:13
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
I listened to Virgins last night and I'm not so sure about it. I like it, but it didn't wow me. Maybe I should start with Harmony and come back to Virgins at a later time?

Also I might skip your Bjork record for this month. I'm planning on fully dissecting her music soon since I'm relatively unfamiliar with her discography. I'll start with Debut and go in order. I'm hoping to start that within the next month or two after I finish with MF DOOM and Jay-Z.

With Tim, I mention Harmony in Ultraviolet due to being my other favorite album from Tim. Though I could recommend albums like An Imaginary Country, Ravedeath 1972 and his debut to be more welcoming.Do whatever you want. Also it is okay to skip the Bjork record if you want to do her entire discog. When you get back, let me know what you think.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2018 23:16
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
That'd be cool.

I'm glad you see this as being cool. I would argue let other users do this when we get next months pick and so on.
  • Visit poster's website