View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2018 12:07
  • Post subject:
Purplepash wrote:

Before A Million Universes by Big Ups

Thanks for the above recommendation Tha1ChiefRocka. I am impressed that you picked something that is right up my alley as if you've known me and my music taste for years. I hadn't heard it before but I do remember hearing one song of theirs a couple of years ago on the radio and immediately adding the album to my spotify library to listen to at some stage, but I never got around to it, and today when I looked there it was, still there to be listened to. It was a great album, I really enjoyed it. Loud, powerful, angry at times but with some calm moments too. I got a Slint meets Fugazi vibe from it. Loved the lyric "Why live in the moment when the moment is broken" (or something like that....going by memory). Meet Where We Are was the highlight after one listen but it's a really solid album and I thought all of the songs were great.

It's cool that you chose probably one of the most obscure albums from my chart. The Australian hip hop scene is pretty strong and flourishing (with some quality stuff) but in this case apart from Bilby's mates and family, you and I might be the only people that have listened to that album Laughing . I always imagine myself in a remote place, camping, or in an isolated cabin somewhere surrounded by nature, listening to this album after a relaxing smoke. By the way I've added a WHY? album to that never ending, ever growing albums to listen to list of mine.

Glad you got something out of The Shaggs Seth!

Tha1ChiefRocka's chart is next for someone. Looks like an interesting chart!

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=37060

Well, with Thee Oh Sees and Drones and such on there, I assumed you'd be OK with noisy kind of stuff. Big Ups also have an album released this year that isn't quite as good, but still worth a listen.

Yeah, it looked like Bilby is fairly obscure, which is why I picked it. I liked the more organic instrumentation compared to other rappers in that genre. WHY? is a blend of indie rock and spoken word hip-hop. Some of Bilby's rapping seemed almost spoken word at times, which is why I was reminded of them.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2018 20:22
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I recently completed a year chart for the first time.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=37060

I only knew eleven of these going in, so I had lots of choices. I went with the following, which has been on my to-do list for at least a year:

Music From The Adventures Of Pete &...by Polaris

And wow it was great. One fantastic tune after another. I've never watched the series, but I can imagine this being even more special if you are a fan. Recommended to anyone with an interest in the genres (jangle pop & indie pop).

~~~

As for my recommendation, because you have a full year chart and no ratings to reference, I'm going to assume that you have already heard 1999's albums by The Magnetic Fields, Sigur Rós, and Fishmans and judged them not good enough. So with those set aside, my rec would be:

Rare UK Bird by Camera Obscura

Their now out-of-print debut EP, issued only in Japan, is not available for streaming last I checked, but can be found online for download. While it's not their best record (Let's Get Out Of This Country, imo), it has great tunes and a warm, inviting atmosphere.

~~~

And for my chart, I like how 2018 is coming along so far. This is the first time I've ever reached 100 albums during a year.

Top 100 Music Albums of 2018 by baystateoftheart
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 10/18/2018 19:04
  • Post subject:
So it's been a month now. Anyone want to go next? Or was my chart that bad? Laughing
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/18/2018 19:23
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
So it's been a month now. Anyone want to go next? Or was my chart that bad? Laughing

Looking at the 2018 list, so far it's really good. The fact that I got 10 albums that we both share is pretty good. For me even though this isn't done yet I'll throw my 2015 list. Having around 50 albums is pretty remarkable for my own good. Would like to get back into the 2015 top 100 that I was working on earlier this year. But then school work as well as work come in to play. And then boredom also resides.

Here's the link: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=41951

If you or anyone want to throw in any recommendations, I'll be happy to take them as consideration.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 10/18/2018 19:26
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Looking at the 2018 list, so far it's really good. The fact that I got 10 albums that we both share is pretty good.

Thanks! Don't forget to listen to one from my chart that you haven't and recommend one that I don't have on mine.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/18/2018 19:30
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Thanks! Don't forget to listen to one from my chart that you haven't and recommend one that I don't have on mine.

Will do in a bit with listening. But for a recommendation for 2018, try Ordinary Corrupt Human Love by Deafheaven. Really welcoming album.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 10/18/2018 21:05
  • Post subject:
I'll be Mia for a while I'm diving into the 3 hour The Epic by Kamasi Washington from Luigi 2015 chart:
The Epic by Kamasi Washington.

This was a great album did not seem like close to 3 hours. The playing on this album is fabulous. It does however have some incredibly cheesy cringe worthy vocal passage. The album would be better if it were fully instrumental with no vocals. That said the [laying is so superior it is able to overcome the terrible vocals and still shine as an amazing work of art pushing the genre in future directions. a seminal piece of modern music.

I'd like to recommend:
Interludes For The Dead by Circles Around The Sun

I'd like to put forward my:
Top 100 Music Albums of 1978 by glynspsa
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2018 00:55
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Will do in a bit with listening. But for a recommendation for 2018, try Ordinary Corrupt Human Love by Deafheaven. Really welcoming album.

I had already heard that album. Liked it, and it's on my honorable mentions chart but not my main chart. So I looked through your 2018 high ratings to find something else.

Heaven’s Only Wishful by MorMor

This caught my eye because Mormor is maternal grandmother in Swedish (mother's mother). It's what my cousins called our grandmother (she was Farmor to me). Anyway, I liked this quite a bit. Sweet indie pop, if a bit unsubstantial. Will go on my chart with the next update.

What did you pick from my chart and how did you like it?
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2018 01:02
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
I had already heard that album. Liked it, and it's on my honorable mentions chart but not my main chart. So I looked through your 2018 high ratings to find something else.

Heaven’s Only Wishful by MorMor

This caught my eye because Mormor is maternal grandmother in Swedish (mother's mother). It's what my cousins called our grandmother (she was Farmor to me). Anyway, I liked this quite a bit. Sweet indie pop, if a bit unsubstantial. Will go on my chart with the next update.

What did you pick from my chart and how did you like it?

I actually picked the MGMT album. And though I argue it is a quality project it was somewhat boring. Though I can't say those are my final thoughts of that album. Will have to finish that album at some point. Then again it will be the lowest of my proprieties since I'm near the end of dividebyzeros album, have Glynspsa album to get to for the 2015 recommendation, need to listen to jdenny's pick since it was Phillip Glass and then MGMT. But will probably will get to all of it by Sunday or Monday due to having long work shifts.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2018 01:08
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
I actually picked the MGMT album. And though I argue it is a quality project it was somewhat boring. Though I can't say those are my final thoughts of that album. Will have to finish that album at some point. Then again it will be the lowest of my proprieties since I'm near the end of dividebyzeros album, have Glynspsa album to get to for the 2015 recommendation, need to listen to jdenny's pick since it was Phillip Glass and then MGMT. But will probably will get to all of it by Sunday or Monday due to having long work shifts.

That Phillip Glass album was for Tha1ChiefRocka. Although obviously there's nothing stopping you from listening to it outside that thread.

I guess all I can say is wait to hear it all before calling it boring. "Me And Michael" is probably my song of the year right now - what a banger.