MBGA: Discuss the Yearly Chart Above You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/02/2019 16:13
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Hayden, you would also review an album from brun027 and recommend one.

Right, woops. Wasn't following code. Well, I'd rec this without hesitation:

One, Two by Sister Nancy

Really should be considered a regarded reggae classic.

And once I give an album I haven't heard a spin, I'll write the review Mr. Green

Update: Gave Pygmy Love a spin. Total meshing point for Bebey. You can tell he's slipping into the electronic meddling, but maybe doesn't even quite want to. Really folksy stuff from him. Lovely songwriting too, maybe some of his best. Seems to be on a different label than everything else he's done.... might dig a little deeper into how it came to be.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 05/04/2019 01:21
  • Post subject:
From Hayden's 1976 chart.

Nærlífi by Spilverk Þjóðanna

Much more tame than the cover would've had me believe. It looks like the "Nowhere Man" from The Beatles has ripped off part of his face.

Do you think a little Bjork listened to this one? I imagine so. It was a bit surreal at the end of the first track called "Miss You" that the female vocalists last line was "to miss you..." which sounded eerily similar to Bjork saying "I Miss You" on her track entitled "I Miss You".

Very Happy

Anyways, this was an easygoing folk album that was a pleasant listen. This was the first album I saw that I had absolutely no familiarity with, so that's why I gave it a spin.

The Devil Is Loose by Asha Puthli

I still don't know what to think about this one, but I need someone else to listen to it. It's not spectacular, but it scratches a certain itch for me on occasion.

Here's 1980. Top 58 Music Albums of 1980 by Tha1ChiefRocka
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/05/2019 23:58
  • Post subject:
Puthli's the same singer who sings on two cuts on Ornette's Science Fiction! She's also on one track of Henry Threadgill's Easily Slip Into Another World.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/06/2019 00:13
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Do you think a little Bjork listened to this one? I imagine so. It was a bit surreal at the end of the first track called "Miss You" that the female vocalists last line was "to miss you..." which sounded eerily similar to Bjork saying "I Miss You" on her track entitled "I Miss You".

Yeah, it's a rather delicate record. Still think it's quite the gem out of early Icelandic music. Their album Götuskór is just as good, but the rest of their discography is a bit too rock for my taste.

I think it'd be impossible for Bjork not to have heard of Spilverk Þjóðanna (they're fairly popular, and Iceland isn't that big Laughing ), but I haven't any clue if there's an influence between those songs. Wouldn't doubt you're on to something there though. Bjork's influences would've probably be developed from around that time.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/07/2019 06:33
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

The Devil Is Loose by Asha Puthli

I still don't know what to think about this one, but I need someone else to listen to it. It's not spectacular, but it scratches a certain itch for me on occasion.

I enjoyed it. Though the album's pretty good but typical R&B of its time (it has some filler) on the surface, Puthli brings something a little more exotic to the vocals and the European production adds some idiosyncrasy as well. Her voice is oddly reminiscent of Minnie Ripperton and Sylvia Robinson, but being that she's not American and grew up in India puts her two steps removed from the typical R&B singer (not that Ripperton and Sylvia are typical) -- she apparently had some classical Indian training. The two funk tracks are heavier than anything Ripperton and Sylvia ever did, though they've recorded some funky tunes -- Flying Fish is a hot slice of funk with a little jazz-funk flavor.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/13/2020 02:05
  • Post subject:
Also bumping this up again, because it was fun. Don't know where we're at though. I think somebody needs to pick something off my 1980 chart? Confused
  • Visit poster's website
fjooso

• Posted: 03/23/2020 07:52
  • Post subject:
But now I am listening to that Anna Burch album at #1, and it’s great so far. Love the poppy sunshine of it, and the melodies are so sweet and kinda, idk, angular. Only 3 songs in but already loving this.
  • Visit poster's website