Why You Love the First Album You Heard From a Band the Most

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2018 19:24
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
My guess is he's a journalist trying to apply (falsely or not) scientific concepts to his experience.

I think I'd have to agree (and have talked about it before on these forums) that the classical conditioning (pavlovs dog) plays a huge role in our musical habits. We return to what gives us pleasure...even if that specifically wasn't talked about in the article, it's in the same vein.

I think the scientific concepts do apply to music. Classical conditioning applies not just to music but all pleasures in life...food, sex, video games, movies, whatever you're into, etc. Classical conditioning works in the opposite way too for music we don't like at first. We listen to a song/album that we dislike, we resist relistening to it and listening to more material from the same artist. I can apply this to my experience with Stone Temple Pilots. Core was my first album and I didn't like it outside three songs. I tried several times; it didn't grow on me. Thus I was hesitant to listen Purple. Took me several months to finally give it a try. And once I did, I had my guard up, ready to dislike it as I disliked Core. But Purple was great the first time I heard it, and it's grown on me ever since. It's in my Top 50. I went on to finish STP's discography with optimism instead of pessimism. The other albums are solid but don't come close to Purple, but all much better than Core. Fuck that album.

Tap wrote:
...the writer is saying that the processes of the brain are responsible for the love he has for this album. But the science is just the road he took to getting where he is with this album. Something got him on that road though, and that's what is responsible.

Exactly, something had to persuade him to listen to Pop to begin with. He had to like the style of music first, which he doesn't go into in the article, which as seth said, has little or no scientific causation. For me, the science aspect of the article says our first album we hear from a band is one we hold special, as long as we like the album, and it encourages us to explore more from the artist. And I think brain science could back it up, but it doesn't mean that it works for everyone, and it doesn't mean first albums are always favorites. Like I said, the title of the article is deceiving clickbait.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2018 19:40
  • Post subject:
But the science does not say that.
  • Visit poster's website