- Coldplay (ripoff U2)
- Kings of Leon
- Dave Matthews Band
  • Visit poster's website
benfitzuk

• Posted: 05/21/2018 14:49
  • Post subject: Er well
To the people who have replied so far:
An overrated band is one where they’ve had a Lot of critical praise but subjectively to me or whoever is writing a comment, is not as good as the criticism praise.
Do not dismiss a band saying that they should be erased or are making kids dumb. Music is all abou taste, so if you don’t like a band fine, but the reason music is liek it is today is because this is the general taste. Artists like cardi b and Justin bieber are modern artists and although I don’t like them other people do and I respect that. Just be respectful is what I’m saying
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/21/2018 16:57
  • Post subject: Re: Er well
benfitzuk wrote:
To the people who have replied so far:
An overrated band is one where they’ve had a Lot of critical praise but subjectively to me or whoever is writing a comment, is not as good as the criticism praise.
Do not dismiss a band saying that they should be erased or are making kids dumb. Music is all abou taste, so if you don’t like a band fine, but the reason music is liek it is today is because this is the general taste. Artists like cardi b and Justin bieber are modern artists and although I don’t like them other people do and I respect that. Just be respectful is what I’m saying

Applause
  • Visit poster's website
Thad

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2018 18:29
  • Post subject:
I don't really see the point in ragging on pop music in this thread. Yeah, of course music nerds like us don't enjoy Migos and Rae Sremmurd particularly well. But are those the artists that you're going to remember from this decade? No. I don't see anyone talking about how overrated Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, and T.I. are. That's because their time is over and no one really thinks about them anymore, even if they had a lot of hit singles 10 years ago. I think this thread makes more sense in the context of critical acclaim, not album sales, and as we are on BEA I think the BEA ratings would probably be a good thing to base these comments on.

Also, of course music is subjective. There is really no such thing as "overrated," of course. I don't really think its necessary to actually say that because it can be assumed. Obviously, all of the overrated artists I am about to name are overrated in my opinion and can still be perfectly good artists to anyone else...

Arcade Fire
Fleet Foxes
Pink Floyd
U2
The Rolling Stones
Joy Division
Coldplay
Muse
Nirvana
Pavement
The Who
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 05/21/2018 19:02
  • Post subject:
Thad wrote:
I don't really see the point in ragging on pop music in this thread. Yeah, of course music nerds like us don't enjoy Migos and Rae Sremmurd particularly well. But are those the artists that you're going to remember from this decade? No. I don't see anyone talking about how overrated Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, and T.I. are. That's because their time is over and no one really thinks about them anymore, even if they had a lot of hit singles 10 years ago.

I'd listen to all three of those guys way before I'd listen to trap..

I agree that the same can be said for most new popular music, but let's be real for a minute, when has the most listened to genre had such bad taste?? I'm part of this generation, with all of my friends listening to this trap wave, and I can see the effects first hand. The molly, the lean.. it's all from this music, and it's horrible for these younger kids.. When this stuff starts getting as much airplay as it does there can only be bad effects from it.

Radio stations were playing stuff like 'Candy Shop' and '6 Foot 7 Foot' like you mentioned, and I won't pretend those songs have great influence either, but you can't tell me it hasn't gotten several times worse over the years.. Also I'm glad you mentioned those particular 3 because although they may not be talked about much any more they greatly influenced the music to come later, which is also what I'm afraid of with this new generation. If the trend continues I can't imagine the music that these trap artists will influence in the near future.

Puncture Repair wrote:
Said every old person about everything in history ever.

I'm 22.

By the way I love these types of conversations! Hope no-one takes these comments to heart.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
NosferatuMan

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2018 19:23
  • Post subject:
Foo Fighters. Their albums a akin to every other generic 90s alternative rock record out there. Then again, that's probably why they're so well-liked.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2018 22:55
  • Post subject:
sees yet another "who's the most overrated band" thread

opens it

closes thread

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2018 23:22
  • Post subject:
All in good fun, I hope. Criticizing Pitchfork and Allmusic and the melon for their choices is great and all but rather unproductive. So... please forgive me.

Fishman's love of Rush is absolutely unfounded. Places any album from Rush at #1 is delusional, but you've thrown them in your chart SIX times.

Tap - this Daphne/Celeste thing is all hype and no substance.

Thad, man ... *checks charts* ... nah, you're good.

YoungPunk : where the hell do you get off rating The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady a 20/100? This will never make sense to me. Never.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2018 23:23
  • Post subject:
what is substance if not composition
  • Visit poster's website