What’s all the fuss about........ gram parsons?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/20/2018 18:30
  • Post subject: What’s all the fuss about........ gram parsons?
This is not intended as an attack on an artist but a genuine attempt to find out what all the fuss is about.

I own some of his albums and the stuff he did with the Byrds. It’s not unpleasant but also nothing to write home about IMO.

If you’re a fan of grams i’d really like to find out why you think he’s so great.

So you know, I do like country. Guy Clark, steve earle, Emmylou Harris, Townes van zandt to name a few so country music isn’t the issue for me here. Can anyone help?
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2018 18:48
  • Post subject:
Beats the fuck out of me. Just like you said, I'm a fan of that kind of country or country-rock type singer-songwriters of that era, but all the ones that seem to get the most praise kind of baffle me. In fact every one of those you just listed I feel the same way about. All of them have done something or other that I like, but why they came to be such icons, rather than certain other people, I don't quite understand.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/20/2018 19:18
  • Post subject:
So i’m Not the only one baffled by the love forcgram. That’s a relief. Maybe it’s timing. You had to be there at the time. Really don’t know.

The four that I mentioned, I do love but get why others might not but I guess I was there, seen them all live and maybe that’s what cemented my love for them. It’s a crazy old world.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2018 19:44
  • Post subject:
Johnnyo wrote:
So i’m Not the only one baffled by the love forcgram. That’s a relief. Maybe it’s timing. You had to be there at the time. Really don’t know.

The four that I mentioned, I do love but get why others might not but I guess I was there, seen them all live and maybe that’s what cemented my love for them. It’s a crazy old world.

Hard to say why some people get such a great reputation and some people don't. There's a lot of people from the same era that came up with a lot more good stuff than a lot of the more acclaimed artists, Yet you never hear anybody talk about them the way they talk about Gram Parsons and others. I think a lot of it has to do with word-of-mouth. Whoever gets written about the most gets the bigger reputation and the bigger praise or something.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2018 00:45
  • Post subject:
Well, a part of it has to be his tragic demise just like with a lot of artists.

He was only 26 years old, so considering that he'd been with The Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, and had some good solo records, he was pretty outstanding.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2018 03:15
  • Post subject:
Um...

First of all, if you hate country music, then don't bother. You won't get it because you won't want to get it. And a closed mind is useless when it comes to music.

Gram Parsons is the one who brought country music to rock. I don't mean a song or so...Parsons was a rock and roll guy who loved country music, and he saw and heard how the two could work together. He wasn't afraid to bring twang to rock, something that pretty much never existed from the rock side of things before he came along. His time with The Byrds? One album. That album was critically slammed when it came out...now it's considered one of the all time great albums by a whole lot of people who know a whole lot about music. Sweetheart is an amazing album.

His time with the Flying Burrito Brothers was short, and his solo career was short. He had his demons, and it cost him. But the important part of Parsons' career was from 1968 to 1973. He released four albums (discounting the International Submarine Band) in that time: one with The Byrds, two with the Burritos, and one solo. The number of fine songs that came from those albums (and the one posthumous album from 1974) is pretty impressive. Parsons wrote great songs (we'll get to that in a moment), and he attracted highly talented people to play them with him...because he was that good. He also gave the world Emmylou Harris...for which he deserves a world of respect for alone.

He also made his mark on The Rolling Stones. His friendship with Keith Richards influenced that band to include very important elements of country in their music. People say that the Stones are not alternate or outlaw country...but I can tell you that more people have heard "Honky Tonk Woman" and "Far Away Eyes" and "Dead Flowers" than ever heard the Burritos. Gram wasn't a big star in his lifetime. He earned his stardom not with how he died (kinda insulting and stupid), but with what he left us with. He left us with great songs. A great voice. He changed the sound of two of the biggest bands in the world (The Stones and The Byrds). He gave us Emmylou, and he gave us a melding of country and rock music that is still fusing today.

Songs?

Holy crap. Parsons left us with so many great songs in a short period of time:

"Hickory Wind" is one of the most beautiful country and rock songs ever written. "Sin City" has been covered by everyone from Son Volt to Billy Bragg to Beck to Tanya Tucker. "A Song For You". "Return Of The Grievous Angel". "In My Hour Of Darkness". The man wrote beautiful music. He brought together two worlds that needed to be brought together. He influenced, Johnnyo, a large number of artists. Many of whom are on your chart: The Stones. Neil Young. The Jayhawks. Lucinda Williams and Steve Earle.

You have these artists on your chart. So I know you aren't closed to what Gram Parsons did. Did he always make the best albums? No...but he wasn't around for too long, either, and he was in, over the course of just 5 years, 4 different projects. He couldn't sit still. But what Gram Parsons DID have was vision. And songs. He understood country music like no one in rock ever had. He made The Jayhawks and Lucinda and Steve Earle possible.

So...a little respect. He's not famous because he died young, or because his life was tragic, or because he became a press favorite. He's famous because the music he brought to us, and the songs he wrote, have endured.

Now...

Go listen to this.

Return Of The Grievous Angel: A Tribute...us Artists

Take your time.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2018 03:21
  • Post subject:
Interesting thread.

Seems like 2 for 2? hehe.

I don't know anything about the dude.

Well put Romanelli, even if I still have yet to find anything by The Birds or Flying Burrito Brothers that I'm passionate about.

Perhaps I should check out that album you recommend.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/21/2018 05:14
  • Post subject:
Romanelli is pretty spot on. I don't have much to add.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/21/2018 06:57
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

First of all, if you hate country music, then don't bother. You won't get it because you won't want to get it. And a closed mind is useless when it comes to music.

The Stones. Neil Young. The Jayhawks. Lucinda Williams and Steve Earle. You have these artists on your chart. So I know you aren't closed to what Gram Parsons did.

So...a little respect. He's not famous because he died young, or because his life was tragic, or because he became a press favorite. He's famous because the music he brought to us, and the songs he wrote, have endured.

Thanks for taking the time to do such a thorough feedback. As I said at the start of the tread, I do like country and you've pointed out a number of artists that I have in my charts I've just never got Gram but other peoples covers of his songs I do like.

No disrespect intended. As I also said at the start, a genuine attempt to find out why he is held in such esteem and now I know a little more so thanks for that.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2018 21:16
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Romanelli is pretty spot on. I don't have much to add.

This. I worship Grahm and I couldn't say it any better than Rom.
  • Visit poster's website