Good Dubstep?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/21/2018 12:40
  • Post subject:
Stover75 wrote:
I like Deadpool's comments about dubstep in the film Deadpool 2. After I saw that film at the cinema I went home and listened to a shuffle of dubstep music. It was totally ace. Are Chase and Status dubstep? I know they're commercial but I like some of their stuff.

Chase and Status dabbled in all sorts of stuff, though I kinda see them as taking the heavier, distorted synths and breakbeats of neuro drum'n'bass and melding that with the poppier instincts of Fatboy Slim. They certainly attempted to align themselves with the nascent dubstep scene, though they have always been notorious trendhoppers, and it certainly wasn't unusual to hear 'Eastern Jam' in dubstep sets as the genre began to become the dominant club sound (2007-2010). But they remind me more of the heavy electro of Noisia, borrowing some of the more deliberately harsh sounds of brostep without ever really committing to dubstep for reasons other than its popularity. And it worked, as they found themselves at the top of festival main stage bills for a few years, albeit whilst never gaining any respect from those in the scene.
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/22/2018 20:53
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Chase and Status dabbled in all sorts of stuff, though I kinda see them as taking the heavier, distorted synths and breakbeats of neuro drum'n'bass and melding that with the poppier instincts of Fatboy Slim. They certainly attempted to align themselves with the nascent dubstep scene, though they have always been notorious trendhoppers, and it certainly wasn't unusual to hear 'Eastern Jam' in dubstep sets as the genre began to become the dominant club sound (2007-2010). But they remind me more of the heavy electro of Noisia, borrowing some of the more deliberately harsh sounds of brostep without ever really committing to dubstep for reasons other than its popularity. And it worked, as they found themselves at the top of festival main stage bills for a few years, albeit whilst never gaining any respect from those in the scene.

thanks man. good to know
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/22/2018 23:52
  • Post subject:
What do you guys think about Nathan Navarro.

I just thought about how cool it was that he did dubstep on an electric bass and a thing called hot hands, but wasn't crazy about the music.

Link
  • Visit poster's website