Are you tired with the millennial whoop ?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Yann

France
  • Posted: 09/06/2018 10:15
  • Post subject: Are you tired with the millennial whoop ?
This gentleman is:

Link

(good summary and video, I think)

I’m tired of the millennial whoop too (and I hardly listen to these songs on purpose, but they are everywhere : in the supermarket, in the air..).
However, as an exception, I’m not tired yet with this 2014 song by U2, which contains one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=044da1YkNko

Any thoughts ? Any examples you may like ?
  • Visit poster's website
madcrow

Sweden
  • Posted: 09/06/2018 10:39
  • Post subject:
bleh i hate that garbage such manufactured garbage most of those songs dont even sound like people with any talent or inspiration it just sounds like it was put into a machine and shat out
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy
  • Posted: 09/06/2018 13:56
  • Post subject:
I think that sort of whooping and simple repetition epitomises bad songwriting. I can't imagine liking anything with this technique. It isn't just the lack of lyrical content, it's the trivial simplicity of the melody. It should not be used at all.

Paralysed by Coldplay strikes me as another example of this kind of song. It sounded like they had given up completely!
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 09/06/2018 14:06
  • Post subject:
It's one of many trends that will come and go. Obviously it's not killing pop music, just more fuel for your classic pop-critic-youtube-comment-troll born in the 'wrong generation'.

Pretty funny when you know what to listen for and just how many songs use it. It's harmless and anthemic.

I guess Kings of Leon were way ahead of the curb with 'Use Somebody'.
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States
  • Posted: 09/06/2018 15:42
  • Post subject:
I have no opinion positive or negative on this but don't forget we have an album in our top 10 with a slowed down version of this on it:

Link

travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States
  • Posted: 09/06/2018 16:03
  • Post subject:
There's examples of this way before millennial's started making music.

What about 'Hey Jude' by The Beatles, 'Lovin' Touching and Squeezin' by Journey, or Livin' On A Prayer by Bon Jovi.

All tracks I don't enjoy, but I don't think this is something that has originated with millennial pop artists.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2018 19:35
  • Post subject:
God I wanna punch the guy in that video, he gives off this "no, *I* know music, *you* don't" vibe.

And yea, as has been previously stated, whoops and yeahs and other filler nonesense words have been in music forever.

I mean damn, just look back at Be-Bop-A-Lu-Lah or Do-Wah-Diddy. This isn't unique to millennial music, it's just a pop thing and it's perfectly harmless.

We're all fine with the nah-nah-nahs when the Beatles do it but as soon as a pop musician we don't like does it it's "killing music." Pfft. Please.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France
  • Posted: 09/06/2018 21:29
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
God I wanna punch the guy in that video, he gives off this "no, *I* know music, *you* don't" vibe.

And yea, as has been previously stated, whoops and yeahs and other filler nonesense words have been in music forever.

I mean damn, just look back at Be-Bop-A-Lu-Lah or Do-Wah-Diddy. This isn't unique to millennial music, it's just a pop thing and it's perfectly harmless.

We're all fine with the nah-nah-nahs when the Beatles do it but as soon as a pop musician we don't like does it it's "killing music." Pfft. Please.

I didn't find the guy so contemptuous and the killing music question is just a title, but anyway, yes you can always find a few precursors to anything, but now it's exploding, isn't it?
I've just listened to some millennial whoop compilation on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLX4J3Gdybg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1RFWRQyg1o)
and it really looks like everyone wants to benefit from this little recipe without restraint until the audience is fed up !
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France
  • Posted: 09/06/2018 21:39
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
I think that sort of whooping and simple repetition epitomises bad songwriting. I can't imagine liking anything with this technique. It isn't just the lack of lyrical content, it's the trivial simplicity of the melody. It should not be used at all.

Paralysed by Coldplay strikes me as another example of this kind of song. It sounded like they had given up completely!

Yes, you mean Paradise. And later on Adventure of A Lifetime, Hymn For The Weekend. I wouldn't say it's bad songwriting, but I see what you mean !
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States
  • Posted: 09/07/2018 02:37
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

While I think I agree this guy is a prick, I don't think the millennial whoop is defined as anything like Be-Bop-A-Lu-Lah or Do-Wah-Diddy or nah-nah-nahs... to me it's specifically the woah -ie -oh... and it really always is the same thing to a very subtle different melody. And that's the part I agree with - it's the same woah -ie -oh and just slightly alterned and not anything unique, rather molded injected plastic. And I have to agree with Killer Mike that good music isn't molded injected plastic.

This kind of is an ok thing representing it: (in otherwords, I disagree that the millennial whoop is made up... do musical figures find themselves across decades, of course, but I do agree most trash music of the late 2000s until today often has this musical figure and it's annoying as hell because of how repetitive and common it is):

Link
  • Visit poster's website