Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 01:35
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Funny Laughing but not a particularly relevant analogy for what I said...

...but one could probably observe each of their qualities and characteristics and determine which are the most contributive to the development of humanity, the animal kingdom and Earth itself.

Time to repurpose and rename this website to Best Ever Animals. Maybe for April 1?

I don't want to derail this thread, so I won't expound, but I disagree strongly.
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/22/2018 01:45
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

...but one could probably observe each of their qualities and characteristics and determine which are the most contributive to the development of humanity, the animal kingdom and Earth itself.

Time to repurpose and rename this website to Best Ever Animals. Maybe for April 1?

I don't want to derail this thread, so I won't expound, but I disagree strongly.

It's okay -- it was hardly a serious reply, or intended in a particularly thoughtful, engaging, scientific or philosophical sense (or what-have-you). More an analogy that the criteria I was referring to is all-inclusive (including all art and genres of art). It is drawn from the fundamental purpose of art itself ... so the idea that it is restrictive (etc) is not a relevant analogy, though I do understand the humor and where he was trying to go with it. So a more relevant analogy would be to determine the purpose of the whole animal kingdom in relation to humanity and the planet, and go from there.

But yes, I'm down. We could rate and rank greatest animals! Woohoo Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/22/2018 01:49
  • Post subject:
jdenny2018 wrote:
and Bob Dylan is just trying to be Woody Guthrie.

Shocked

Kinda like how Captain Beefheart was just trying to be Howlin' Wolf. Or how The Doors were just trying to be Roy Orbison. Or how The Rolling Stones were just trying to be Chuck Berry. Or how TS Eliot was just trying to be Sarah Josepha Hale.

Think

Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 01:54
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
What Bob Dylan albums have you listened to? There is some diversity in his albums, so even if you haven't liked what you've heard so far, it's possible that something for you is out there.

I listened to Blood on the Tracks and was completely unaffected. I've also listened to his hits and been kind of ambivalent towards them. For instance, I don't get why 'Like a Rolling Stone' is considered such an amazing song. But, wahtever.

And to Fischman, his voice isn't really the problem for me. I've listened to Geddy Lee's wail for years so Dylan's nasal tone is nothing to me.

I think what really bothers me is Dylan's 'holier than thou' attitude towards everybody. He's been called a musical prophet, and just the way he talks annoys me how every word drips with cynicism and disdain for everything.
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 02:00
  • Post subject:
jdenny2018 wrote:
and Bob Dylan is just trying to be Woody Guthrie. That and Bob Dylan is horribly boring to me.

AfterHours wrote:
Shocked

Kinda like how Captain Beefheart was just trying to be Howlin' Wolf. Or how The Doors were just trying to be Roy Orbison. Or how The Rolling Stones were just trying to be Chuck Berry. Or how TS Eliot was just trying to be Sarah Josepha Hale.

Think

Very Happy

This comment refers to me listening to Dust Bowl Ballads and immediately thinking that this was pre-electric Bob Dylan.

Last edited by jdenny2018 on 10/22/2018 02:03; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 10/22/2018 02:01
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:

Your analogy would be closer if there were multiple tests: climb a tree; hold your breath under water the longest; withstand Antarctic weather the longest etc. It would still be you or me, sitting in that chair, imposing the tests and viewing through whichever lens/lenses we choose.

Seth’s trying to understand why it is he would enjoy he process of these animal olympics, but wouldn’t necessarily like to hang out with the winner.

I’m thinking about if those animals formed a band (even though they may not be the best example of each animal), why it is that they might be able to achieve something greater than the sum of the parts, or achieve something for which there is no test.

It’s a mystery to me, but complexity isn’t always better, and neither is simplicity. Sometimes, if you break things down to their components, the magic quietly steps out the back door, or finds another place to be.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 02:02
  • Post subject:
jdenny2018 wrote:
I listened to Blood on the Tracks and was completely unaffected. I've also listened to his hits and been kind of ambivalent towards them. For instance, I don't get why 'Like a Rolling Stone' is considered such an amazing song. But, wahtever.

And to Fischman, his voice isn't really the problem for me. I've listened to Geddy Lee's wail for years so Dylan's nasal tone is nothing to me.

I think what really bothers me is Dylan's 'holier than thou' attitude towards everybody. He's been called a musical prophet, and just the way he talks annoys me how every word drips with cynicism and disdain for everything.

Hmm... Maybe check out Nashville Skyline. Perhaps his most unpretentious, uncynical work. And I know his voice isn't an issue for you, but that album also features his smoothest vocals. It's Dylan taking on country and doing a damn good job. And it has a duet with Johnny Cash, whom I see you like. My dad dislikes Dylan like you, but loves Nashville Skyline.
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 02:11
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
jdenny2018 wrote:

Hmm... Maybe check out Nashville Skyline. Perhaps his most unpretentious, uncynical work. And I know his voice isn't an issue for you, but that album also features his smoothest vocals. It's Dylan taking on country and doing a damn good job. And it has a duet with Johnny Cash, whom I see you like. My dad dislikes Dylan like you, but loves Nashville Skyline.

I will most definitely check it out. I should probably get off my ass and listen to Bob Dylan's stuff already. I got on this website to expand my musical horizons, and dammit I should do so haha. Also BayStateofTheArt, your profile picture is outstanding.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 02:30
  • Post subject:
jdenny2018 wrote:
I will most definitely check it out. I should probably get off my ass and listen to Bob Dylan's stuff already. I got on this website to expand my musical horizons, and dammit I should do so haha. Also BayStateofTheArt, your profile picture is outstanding.

Smile Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks! I liked a fruit sticker* so much I stuck it to my wall and took pictures of it Laughing

*Yes most people think a butternut squash is a vegetable, but it is a fruit! #ediblepedantry
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/22/2018 03:10
  • Post subject:
jdenny2018 wrote:
I don't get why 'Like a Rolling Stone' is considered such an amazing song. But, wahtever.

Just wait until you become the stone of which he wrote.

Didn't know there were so many not-Dylan fans on here Neutral (between this and the 'highest unlistened' thread).

I dunno, give a few more of his albums a shot though (pre-1977... or like, his 1996-2004 phase). Can't see how you'd think he's a Woody Guthrie wannabe. That's... an odd comparison.
  • Visit poster's website