Best Ever (Classic) Film Noir [POLL]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 12/28/2018 01:06
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:
i didn't submit a list for this because i wasn't confident of the category.

Glynspsa, you can simply figure out whether or not you've seen enough of these films to submit a list by going through this list (the top list, ending with The Wrong Man):

Films Generally Considered Noir

If you can make a list from this 478-film list, your grasp of the category's good enough. I know you're a big movie fan, but don't know if you like pre-1960 movies that much. This genre is mostly 1940-1964 films (and a handful of 30s movies).

The previous poll was a "neo-noir" poll, which covered the more recent noir films, essentially from 1965 to the present. The poll's over now, but I'd be interested to see a list of yours anyway, if you want to throw one up. Quite a few well-known movies of the last 50 years fit this category.

This is the poll thread: Neo-Noir Poll

This is the final list: Neo-Noir List

This is an incomplete starting list of 200 neo-noir films I made: 200 Neo-Noir Films

I missed out on all of the movie genre polls too, except Westerns and the two I've hosted -- in my case because I only joined BEA a year and a half ago. Would've especially liked to participate in Comedy, but I would've probably submitted to all of them.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/28/2018 18:51
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:
I was ignorant of the games section until approximately 4-6 months ago.

I've wondered if the Games section is where these movie poll threads belong. The Games section has become very crowded lately, and it's likelier for the movie polls to go unnoticed. There is a Movies section. Shouldn't these be there? In order to get more participants, maybe they'll be more easily seen in the Movies Section? I think it's worth a shot.

Btw, Afterhours hasn't submitted a Noir list either.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 12/28/2018 22:10
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I've wondered if the Games section is where these movie poll threads belong. The Games section has become very crowded lately, and it's likelier for the movie polls to go unnoticed. There is a Movies section. Shouldn't these be there? In order to get more participants, maybe they'll be more easily seen in the Movies Section? I think it's worth a shot.

Perhaps you're right. It's not really a game anyway, after all. Seems some different faces occasionally pop up in the movie section.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2018 06:01
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I've wondered if the Games section is where these movie poll threads belong. The Games section has become very crowded lately, and it's likelier for the movie polls to go unnoticed. There is a Movies section. Shouldn't these be there?

Putting movie polls in a seperate subforum when there already is a Movies subforum never made much sense to me. That being said, I don't think the recent music games have affected participation that much. It would be nice if there was a stickied Current Polls & Games or Polls & Games Announcements thread (or something like that) in the Music Forum, so newer and intermittent users can find out about them.

Quote:
In order to get more participants, maybe they'll be more easily seen in the Movies Section? I think it's worth a shot.

The combining of the movie polls and the movies subforum might help a little.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 01/02/2019 02:36
  • Post subject:
Deadline for this poll is 11:59 this Sunday night EST, though any updates/lists posted before you go to bed on Sunday are fine.

As long as no one else wants to host a film poll before late February, I can extend the poll if anyone needs more time.
  • Visit poster's website
desh79

Germany

• Posted: 01/02/2019 13:26
  • Post subject:
Here's my super late entry (bit of a Hitchcock and Kurosawa bias, but that's just how I roll):

1. The Night of the Hunter (USA, Charles Laughton 1955)
2. Drunken Angel (Japan, Akira Kurosawa, 1948)
3. Rebecca (USA, Alfred Hitchcock 1940)
4. The Third Man (UK, Carol Reed, 1949)
5. Touch of Evil (USA, Orson Welles 1958)
6. Stray Dog (Japan, Akira Kurosawa, 1949)
7. Sunset Boulevard (USA, Billy Wilder 1950)
8. Out of the Past (USA, Jacques Tourneur 1947)
9. Clash by Night (USA, Fritz Lang 1952)
10. Ossessione (Italy, Luchino Visconti 1942)
11. Strangers on a Train (USA, Alfred Hitcock 1951)
12. Murderers Among Us (orig. Die Mörder sind unter uns, Germany, Wolfgang Staudte, 1946)
13. The Maltese Falcon (USA, John Huston 1941)
14. The Big Sleep (USA, Howard Hawks 1946)
15. High and Low (Japan, Akira Kurosawa, 1963)
16. Shadow of a Doubt (USA, Alfred Hitchcock 1943)
17. The Lost Weekend (USA, Billy Wilder 1945)
18. Suspicion (USA, Alfred Hitchcock 1941)
19. Brighton Rock (UK, John Boulting, 1947)
20. The Killing (USA, Stanley Kubrick 1956)

NB:
- Not entirely sure if I consider Vertigo to be film noir, so I decided against including it.
- Murderers among us (No.12 in my list) wasn't in the Criterion list as far as I could tell, but it's a film I definitely definitely definitely consider to be film noir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RGOt8ON2Yg
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 01/02/2019 18:22
  • Post subject:
desh79 wrote:
- Not entirely sure if I consider Vertigo to be film noir, so I decided against including it.
- Murderers among us (No.12 in my list) wasn't in the Criterion list as far as I could tell, but it's a film I definitely definitely definitely consider to be film noir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RGOt8ON2Yg

Vertigo's definitely eligible to me, but it's up to you.

The foreign lists on the CriterionForum page weren't designed to be comprehensive -- unlike the American lists, they were crowdsourced -- so Murderers Among Us is fine.

High and Low is ineligible for the simple reason that it came out too late for this poll. It was eligible for the Neo-Noir Poll and placed at #16 (voted for it myself). In the case of Kurosawa, splitting up Stray Dog and High and Low feels and is arbitrary, but for most foreign films, the 1960 dividing line made sense. There's no categorical difference between the two films -- the only thing I can say is they did come out 14 years apart, which is what creates the problem.
  • Visit poster's website
desh79

Germany

• Posted: 01/02/2019 23:13
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:

The foreign lists on the CriterionForum page weren't designed to be comprehensive -- unlike the American lists, they were crowdsourced -- so Murderers Among Us is fine.

Cool. Smile

PurpleHazel wrote:

High and Low is ineligible for the simple reason that it came out too late for this poll.

Ah ok. No problem, that's fair enough.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 01/04/2019 23:28
  • Post subject:
A member asked me to extend the deadline, so I'm pushing it back to Sunday night the 13th.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2019 23:55
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Deadline for this poll is 11:59 this Sunday night EST, though any updates/lists posted before you go to bed on Sunday are fine.

As long as no one else wants to host a film poll before late February, I can extend the poll if anyone needs more time.

As I've seen no objections I'm excited. How soon might the list be posted?

Regarding another poll before late Feb, I don't see why whoever (Hayden?) can't go ahead and start the 2018 poll. It would be great for those who did see a lot already to go ahead and throw some unofficial rough drafts out there or champion a few sleeper picks so those of us who are late watchers are not waiting exclusively on the major award nominees to be released for purchase/rent/streaming.
  • Visit poster's website