Best Hard Rock & Metal Albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2018 05:52
  • Post subject:
Toxicity. Now that's one that should be rated higher. I gave it, as well as their self-titled, some fresh listens a couple months back. They're both great, but Toxicity is a masterpiece. I honestly haven't listened to any of their later albums since they first came out, but those first two, man. I'm sure a google search would answer this, but what ever happened to them? They were one of the biggest bands in the world for a cup of tea and then poof! Gone.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/11/2018 06:36
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Oh, 8/10 sounds about right. Like I said, it's good, just overrated. I wasn't suggesting it go lower. Just counter-arguing those that say it should be higher.

For some reason I was thinking it came out in '89, not '87. But even for '87 I'd put it behind Scream Bloody Gore, Under the Sign of the Black Mark and Keeper of the Seven Keys.

No worries. Not to split hairs or even to argue, but just to inform so you can think with it when making recs: an 8/10 is a masterpiece to me by most definitions of the word (a 6/10 would be an album I would call good or effective or well-made or something of this sort).

From the ratings scale on my criteria page (note: none of my descriptions are meant as hyperbole, but are meant quite literally)...

"At 7.8+, the work will start becoming a truly awe-inspiring experience. These are often masterpieces by most definitions of the word, and will usually be cornerstones of their genre or confluence of genres.

Definition of awe-inspiring being applied: "an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like." --Dictionary.com"

Thank you -- never heard these other 3 you mention. Will make sure to check them out.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/11/2018 06:43
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
15 music diaries....

Last edited by AfterHours on 11/11/2018 06:48; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2018 06:44
  • Post subject:
My recs/reminders.

Streetcleaner by Godflesh

Times Of Grace by Neurosis

Behind The Realms Of Madness by Sacrilege

Deathcrush by Mayhem
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/11/2018 06:55
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
Well, if you're looking for recs you can check out my metal chart. I've never been able to get much into thrash or death metal, but there's a lot of black and doom on there. A bit of progressive metal and other stuff too. If you like Neurosis you could check out the ones I marked as atmospheric sludge metal.

Nice! Thank you. Endless recs... Cool

babyBlueSedan wrote:
And don't freak out that Appetite for Destruction isn't on there, I just didn't consider it metal enough haha.

Yep, it's borderline.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/11/2018 07:04
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Toxicity. Now that's one that should be rated higher. I gave it, as well as their self-titled, some fresh listens a couple months back. They're both great, but Toxicity is a masterpiece. I honestly haven't listened to any of their later albums since they first came out, but those first two, man. I'm sure a google search would answer this, but what ever happened to them? They were one of the biggest bands in the world for a cup of tea and then poof! Gone.

No clue whatever happened to them....

Both System of a Down albums are very old ratings from 12-13 years ago, so there remains a solid chance I'll upgrade them when I listen to them for the first time since then. Don't count on 9/10's though Shame on you Not impossible but very unlikely -- I'm just very exclusive about those. Only masterpieces on the order of Beethoven's symphonies and so forth get the 8.8+ treatment. But anything above 7.3 is something I consider worthy enough as "one of the greatest __________ of all time" -- just not the highest echelons of such a list.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/11/2018 07:08
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
My recs/reminders.

Streetcleaner by Godflesh

Times Of Grace by Neurosis

Behind The Realms Of Madness by Sacrilege

Deathcrush by Mayhem

Bam! Thanks, I think I've heard Streetcleaner and Time of Grace, but I'll double check (would need to revisit them anyway). The other 2 don't seem familiar.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 11/12/2018 00:26
  • Post subject:
All four of those are new to me. Mayhem is the only band I'm familiar with at all. But after seeing this I listened to Streetcleaner last night and really liked it.

Edit: Just saw the updates. Kinda sad to see Black Sabbath's albums that low. Hoping their debut, which is my personal favorite of theirs, a little bit higher. Also curious if Heaven and Hell might be more your cup of tea.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/12/2018 01:02
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
All four of those are new to me. Mayhem is the only band I'm familiar with at all. But after seeing this I listened to Streetcleaner last night and really liked it.

Edit: Just saw the updates. Kinda sad to see Black Sabbath's albums that low. Hoping their debut, which is my personal favorite of theirs, a little bit higher. Also curious if Heaven and Hell might be more your cup of tea.

Nice, Im looking forward to those as well.

Just remember that 7/10 is not low on my ratings at all. Might take some getting used to since lots of people seem to apply 7/10 to mediocre albums. On my scale its "superb" or "borderline extraordinary" (the closer it is to 7.3) -- just not AMAZING etc. Its easiest to think with when one looks at the albums in the echelon above it, and the next, and so forth (particularly in looking at those one agrees with/feels similarly about).
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 11/12/2018 02:04
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
badseed wrote:

Nice, Im looking forward to those as well.

Just remember that 7/10 is not low on my ratings at all. Might take some getting used to since lots of people seem to apply 7/10 to mediocre albums. On my scale its "superb" or "borderline extraordinary" (the closer it is to 7.3) -- just not AMAZING etc. Its easiest to think with when one looks at the albums in the echelon above it, and the next, and so forth (particularly in looking at those one agrees with/feels similarly about).

Well yeah, that's what I was getting at. I understand your rating system is harsh but looking at some of the stuff above it is what I was feeling. I mean I guess it's pretty cliche to say since they're arguably the first and most universally acclaimed metal band, but I truly feel they're the GOATs. Their first 6 albums are just as good a 6 album run as almost any artist in history, metal or otherwise (some exceptions may incude Led Zeppelin's first 6 or Bob Dylan's 2nd through 7th). I may make a metal chart once I brush up on it a little more, and it would be hard not to put 4 of their albums in my top 25. But I understand taste is subjective as well; but as big a part of my childhood as Korn were I don't see them in the same league. Given, my rating scale isn't nearly as harsh so my rating for Korn would probably be about the same as yours, but Sabbath's first two would be 10/10
  • Visit poster's website