What are the worst sequels of all time?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
mdbaxter

United States

• Posted: 11/28/2018 19:09
  • Post subject:
300 2 (I'm not going to look up the real name because of how much I hate it) is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I loved 300, the movie and the comic, but I typically refuse to acknowledge the sequel's existence.

Last edited by mdbaxter on 11/29/2018 19:50; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
21stCenturySchiz

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2018 00:41
  • Post subject:
Blues Brothers 2000.

A Belushiless Blues Brothers movie is just not right. Especially when they replace him with Three People who while are great actors, do not live up to filling the void of Jake Joilet Blues
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2018 15:22
  • Post subject:
21stCenturySchiz wrote:
Blues Brothers 2000.

A Belushiless Blues Brothers movie is just not right. Especially when they replace him with Three People who while are great actors, do not live up to filling the void of Jake Joilet Blues

Lol. Yeah, that was a stinker. No doubt. It made my list too.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 11/29/2018 17:41
  • Post subject:
Comedy and Horror sequels almost always end up being disappointing for me. Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 is probably the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. There are a lot of comedy sequels that reverse everything that happened in the first movie. Ghostbusters 2 did it, Ted 2 did it. Horror sequels tend to be bad because the budget are so low that they can afford to be lazy. Sinister 2, most of the Friday the 13th sequels, Scream 3, the list is endless.

For me, the two worst sequels of 2018 were Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Escape Plan 2 (which went straight to VOD, I should've known better)
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 12/28/2018 09:27
  • Post subject:
Saw T2: Trainspotting yesterday (Netflix again) I was really disappointed. It was a two hour advert for the first one Sad
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/28/2018 17:45
  • Post subject:
When I think of worst sequels, it's not just the worst movie, but the biggest drop from the original. So if the first was a stinker, I don't generally think of the sequel as being worst since that was to be expected.

I don't think I've seen as many sequels as most of the folks around here. Here's some that spring to mind for me as being particularly bad:

Speed 2: Cruise Control
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (which was a sequel in name only as there was no Michael Myers character)
Caddyshack 2
The Fly 2
Weekend at Bernies 2 (really, who thought the gimmick of running around with a stiff could provide enough fodder for a second movie?)
  • Visit poster's website
desh79

Germany

• Posted: 01/02/2019 13:35
  • Post subject:
No-one has mentioned Highlander 2 yet? That sequel is legendary for its awfulness.

Other ones "worth" mentioning:

The Matrix Reloaded. The first one was kinda sorta alright, and the effects were definitely spectacular for 1999, but the sequel is just utter drivel. It was already during that downright weird and totally out-of-place rave scene at the beginning of the film that I started thinking "Boy, this is gonna be bad", but being the sucker I am I didn't leave the cinema as I probably should have done, thus subjecting myself to two hours of random martial arts fighting and pseudo-intellectual Heidegger-for-dummies dialogue, which reminded me of the scripts I wrote when I was about 14. That is not a compliment. (Perhaps I should have even done a Kermode and shout "Il est merde!!" at the screen while leaving). Revolutions was meant to be even worse, but I didn't even bother with that one.

The Phantom Menace. A prequel, but still.

Batman & Robin. Aaaargh.

Alien: Resurrection. Alien 3 gets a lot of stick, some of it deserved, some of it not, but Resurrection is where the Alien franchise (for that is what it has become) really jumped the shark. Ever wondered what the Alien movie would have been like if it had been a zany slapstick comedy? What do you mean, "hell no"?

Spiderman 3. Whoever thought that dance scene was a good idea?

Did I mention Highlander 2?
  • Visit poster's website