Incorrect Year for Album

View previous topic :: View next topic
barbarossa

• Posted: 04/06/2020 14:58
  • Post subject: Incorrect Year for Album
Desire by Bob Dylan is listed here as having been released in 1975, yet every source I can find lists it as having been released in January of 1976. Is this a bug, or have I simply not come across the correct source here?
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2020 15:12
  • Post subject: Re: Incorrect Year for Album
barbarossa wrote:
Desire by Bob Dylan is listed here as having been released in 1975, yet every source I can find lists it as having been released in January of 1976. Is this a bug, or have I simply not come across the correct source here?

Interesting one indeed.

Several sites do show a January 1976 release, including Wikipedia (although it has been marked as "citation needed" to verify since 2013). RYM (as reliable as they are), and MusicBrainz (which ties a lot of what they do with Wikipedia) both say 1976.

Discogs, however, not only shows a 1975 release, but also 11 versions released in '75, followed by dozens of releases in '76.

Also, checking my own copy...it shows a copyright date of 1975.

BUT...bobdylan.com says 1976...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/06/2020 15:14
  • Post subject:
Desire is usually a 1976 release on BEA. It seems Albummaster changed the date to 1975 only last week.

Although the vinyl dates the album as 1975 on the disc and sleeve, I believe Desire was released the first week of 1976 after some delay. They just didn't change the print. I believe the copyright is still 1975, but that's more a legal matter. Dylan has the record as a 1976 release, but dates Ginsberg's linear notes as November 1975, which may also cause a few mix-ups.

I don't see any evidence it actually hit the public in 1975, but I'll keep searching. Everywhere I can find has it as 1976 bar Discogs (which is usually reliable, but may be wrong in this case).

EDIT: I'll note Discogs labels Blood On The Tracks as 1974 due to a similar copyright circumstance, but is universally regarded a 1975 release.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/06/2020 16:43
  • Post subject:
Agree with others here that 1976 is probably correct and it shouldn't have been changed. Sometimes I do these things in a bit of a rush (another user reported 1975 as a correction and I should have spent more time verifying it). Noticed Hayden's already reverted it back (thanks Very Happy ) and happy for it to stay like this as seems from the discussion here, this is the right thing to do.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/08/2020 21:02
  • Post subject:
I've had a similar problem today with Flesh of My Skin and Dreamboat Annie, except the real problem is that RYM doesn't always like using the first release of an album as a primary release. If that previous release was unofficial, I could understand that. It gets very annoying when using RYM's charts to search through albums to add to year charts on another site.

I just did some research and found that Desire's 1975 cassette is being advertised as a 1976 one on searchingforagem.com. It's amazing what you can do with a name and a serial number. Honestly, I don't think Discogs can be trusted with this one. It's a great source of information in the long run, but Discogs is the only website I can find that even hints at a 1975 release.