Album of the day (#3013): Send Away The Tigers

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/15/2019 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#3013): Send Away The Tigers
Today's album of the day

Send Away The Tigers by Manic Street Preachers (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2007.
Overall rank: 2,658
Average rating: 73/100 (from 99 votes).

Tracks:
1. Send Away The Tigers
2. Underdogs
3. Your Love Alone Is Not Enough (Feat. Nina Persson)
4. Indian Summer
5. The Second Great Depression
6. Rendition
7. Autumnsong
8. I'm Just A Patsy
9. Imperial Bodybags
10. Winterlovers

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/15/2019 20:10
  • Post subject:
my first manics album, still holds up pretty damn well
  • Visit poster's website
StreakyNuno

Portugal

• Posted: 03/15/2019 21:30
  • Post subject:
I never gave importance to this band but I heard this whole album and I was really surprised because it's really nice. Which of the Manic should I hear next?
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/15/2019 21:52
  • Post subject:
StreakyNuno wrote:
I never gave importance to this band but I heard this whole album and I was really surprised because it's really nice. Which of the Manic should I hear next?

This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours or Everything Must Go make the most sense if you enjoy their poppy, hook-ladden britpop. I'd check out their first three albums if you wanted to see how much darker and more lyrically-inspired they were. Honestly, The Holy Bible is my favorite Manics album but I'm not sure if it'd be to your taste right out of the gate.
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/15/2019 23:29
  • Post subject:
Great album. Love the Manics.

Your Love Alone is one of my favourite songs of all time and my fav song by them. Obvs they got help in the vocal department by the beautiful Nina Persson.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/15/2019 23:45
  • Post subject:
Stover75 wrote:
Great album. Love the Manics.

Your Love Alone is one of my favourite songs of all time and my fav song by them. Obvs they got help in the vocal department by the beautiful Nina Persson.

one of the most personable and unique singers of her generation. cardigans fuckin' rock.
  • Visit poster's website
StreakyNuno

Portugal

• Posted: 03/16/2019 00:23
  • Post subject:
I really liked it a lot
  • Visit poster's website
Mythtall

• Posted: 03/21/2019 23:35
  • Post subject:
Can I point out The Second Great Depression is one of the most underrated Manics songs of all time Very Happy Definitely single quality.
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/23/2019 19:46
  • Post subject:
Someone at work was on about this album the other day. I should check out this and more of their stuff because I saw them on their last tour and they were still good. I just like them as blokes which I guess endears me to them more. People can be quite sniffy about them unfortunately.
  • Visit poster's website
AdrianHula

• Posted: 03/24/2019 12:38
  • Post subject: Written on release
Post Britpop Manic Street Preachers follow both Nicky Wire and James releasing solo albums that nobody bought. The lead single on 'Send Away The Tigers' in contrast sailed straight to number two on the UK singles charts. They proved they had a chemistry, even after all those years. Opening the album is the title track, a fine anthemic slice of rock music many a thirty-something will be happy to have blaring out of their car windows.

'Your Love Is Not Enough' is a duet with that woman from The Cardigans and it's patently clear why this has been released as a single. It's not only perhaps the best song here by some distance, but actually, one of the finest britpop singles not to be a britpop single, because britpop of course no longer exists. I mean, even Tony 'Britpop' Blair is no longer Prime Minister. I don't know what my thoughts or hopes for this album were. Nothing really. 'Lifeblood' hardly thrilled me and a song like 'The 2nd Great Depression' lacks both the fire and wit of prime Manics. 'The Second Great Depression' proves that this band have tried to go back to 'Everything Must Go'. So, we get string sections all over the place purely to boost the sound rather than need to be there. Everything is turned upto 11 and James Dean Bradfield shouts a good half of his lyrics even when they don't need to be. Still, repeated plays get the choruses into your brain anyway and it's thus for 'The Second Great Depression'. The production contains a confidence, 'Rendition' almost justifies such confidence. You can sing along to it, which is good.

Finding actively bad songs is a struggle actually. Fans can safely apply or re-apply to the Manic Street Preachers station and be sure to be satisfied. 'Indian Summer' for example sounds like it could be a single, and several other songs here do, although 'Your Love Alone Is Not Enough' which was a single is ahead of all the other pretenders in the catchy stakes. 'Autumn Song' was released in the middle of Spring - that's just silly! It's also one of the finest James Dean Bradfield vocals here and one of the best songs. The epic sounding Queen-like production serves the band well.

I'll always have a soft spot for stuff like 'Know Your Enemy' and the under produced Manics myself. It's all very well-being in the studio and fiddling around with knobs (no Justin Hawkins jokes, please) to boost your sound. Actually using the studio creatively is another matter. Still, this remains a fine album. It's not an essential album by any means, but I can't not like it. There's nothing here not to like.
  • Visit poster's website