Kids See Ghosts

View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2019 03:40
  • Post subject: Kids See Ghosts
I finally listened to this, what is the top album of 2018, yesterday. I really had no intention of ever doing so, but curiosity got the best of me.

Yep, this is going to go down as one of those that I absolutely have no idea what the hype is about.

I could go on to a diatribe as to why, it may be entertaining (or it may be wankerish), so I'll refrain, I just felt like I had to say it.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2019 03:47
  • Post subject:
I'm not a huge fan of it, it's not in my top 100 for the year, and it's overrated, but it has its moments and I can appreciate it.

The above statement applies to both BEA's #1 KSG and RYM's #1 Daughters.
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2019 03:58
  • Post subject:
Yeah, and I know why people wouldn't like Daughters, which scratched an itch I needed at the time, but, besides Kanye's usually good production, I don't find anything interesting about this album. Kid Cudi is still a dope.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2019 04:11
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Yeah, and I know why people wouldn't like Daughters, which scratched an itch I needed at the time, but, besides Kanye's usually good production, I don't find anything interesting about this album. Kid Cudi is still a dope.

Well, good production is the biggest factor. It's weighed down by the vocals less than it could have been, as Kanye sounds better than he did on Ye and Kid Cudi sounds better than usual. I am also not a fan of Kid Cudi historically, and I was planning on not listening to this for that reason until the acclaim got too great to ignore.

P.S. Does anyone think this is worse than Ye? Easily my least favorite Kanye album from the first listen, and my expectation is that it will age like milk.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/26/2019 04:15
  • Post subject:
All-in-all, 2018's definitely going to go down as a year where there wasn't a clear 'best' album. Seeing Kids See Ghosts at #1 feels a little off, but I think anything does.

I like the album. I think it's good. There's a good handful of bold moves on it that pay off too. Feel The Love isn't an easy track to pull off... neither is the title track. Cudi's always been divisive (well, usually), and I think he helps the project out quite a bit, but I still think if Kanye/Pusha T/Cudi smushed Daytona and Kids See Ghosts into a supergroup album it'd be decade-best material (with some more collaborative altercations of course). Daytona's a smidge better in my eyes too.
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2019 04:21
  • Post subject:
I also enjoy Daytona more, but that's mostly because I also like Pusha T more than Cudi or Kanye.

I still haven't listened to YE. I'm not sure if I can.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2019 04:28
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I still haven't listened to YE. I'm not sure if I can.

I will just say that your gif is by leaps and bounds more applicable to the acclaim many had for that album.

Not sure if that is enough to entice you...

In all seriousness, Ye makes me sad because of what it represents. He clearly bought into the faulty logic that because many great artists struggle with mental illness, people must make the best art while in a state of uncontrolled mental illness. So he rejected treatment on purpose for artistic reasons, and the resulting album is a total mess. Meanwhile, in reality, artists with mental illness often make more and better art when they're getting proper treatment.
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2019 13:54
  • Post subject:
People always criticize Kanye albums around their initial release dates for various reasons, and then as time goes on they seem to age well. Just look at the rating trends for Yeezus and TLOP on RYM...which are now bolded. I expect the same to happen with Ye, even if it is arguably his least eventful release.

Regarding KSG, there's not many artists I think Kanye brings out the best in like he does with Kid Cudi. My hopes were high for the album because of their track record together. I also think Cudi really needed this so I love that Kanye made such an amazing album with him. Between checking himself into rehab for suicidal thoughts and depression, and then the public coming at him in every direction for making what many consider one of the worst albums of all time, and then Drake starting to beef with him and making fun of those suicidal thoughts and all of his terrible fanbase coming at him, Cudi needed to reunite with Kanye and create a masterpiece. That's what they did. I think KSG is easily one of the best Kanye projects to date and will be remembered as such. It's safe to say that the album met, and exceeded my expectations.

Ye on the other hand, might have been just slightly disappointing for me, but only because it wasn't as satisfying as Daytona and KSG were with their short run-times. However, all three are in my top 10 of last year, because of the sheer amount of times I came back to them. Plus I think all three with age much better than most albums of 2018 will, at least for me. Then again, Kanye is one of my favorite artists of all time.

Regarding RYM's AOTY, by Daughters...Yeah my inner art critic can't help but admit that it's a good piece of art. However, if that's something I ever find myself wanting to listen to on a regular basis, that may be a red flag that my mental health isn't well and I need to find my peace. Maybe go on a hiking excursion or something.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2019 14:43
  • Post subject:
I think it's really good,catchy Hip Pop with AMAZING production & some great, uplifting, motivational lyrics on Reborn. Sounds really great & FUN blasting out my speakers while making a smoothie.

I certainly Feel The Love! Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website