Newer. more "indie" albums in overall chart

View previous topic :: View next topic
AndrewJFisher

New Zealand

• Posted: 04/01/2019 06:27
  • Post subject: Newer. more "indie" albums in overall chart
Was interested that, in its top 20 at least, BEA has Radiohead almost equal with The Beatles. Best album lists I'd studied tended to favour '60s and '70s music. Conspicuously absent from BEA's top 20 are Rubber Soul, Born to Run and Exile on Main Street and Dylan just scrapes in with Highway 61 Revisited. Besides the four Radiohead albums, there is Doolittle, Funeral and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea(I don't think I'd ever come across Neutral Milk Hotel till now). I'm not a great listener of The Beatles or of Radiohead or indie music in general and I'm not sure if this list is any less alienating than previous lists I've seen, but it's interesting, deciding which lists I prefer. In theory music should get better over time, but often when listening to a post '90s album I feel that it's taking two steps forward and three steps back. There are a handful that stand out and I'm thinking now that I'll make a list of my favourite post '90s albums.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Onater

Canada

• Posted: 04/01/2019 06:35
  • Post subject:
Damn if you think this site's top albums are unconventional rateyourmusic would terrify you
  • Visit poster's website
AndrewJFisher

New Zealand

• Posted: 04/01/2019 06:57
  • Post subject:
Onater wrote:
Damn if you think this site's top albums are unconventional, RateYourMusic would terrify you

Thanks, I just checked out their top 20, actually I'm happy to see just one Beatles album scrape the top 10 and another only scraping the top 20 and Abbey Road and Revolver are possibly my fave Beatles albums at that. Though I have a little resentment towards Pink Floyd's god-like status, I tend to favour them over Zeppelin, Metallica and other classic rock or metal bands. And there are some other albums in there that I don't often see ranked so high and I think I can say I genuinely like, without being bullied by their classic album status e.g In the Court of the Crimson King, Unknown Pleasures and Paranoid.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Infinity183

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2019 03:30
  • Post subject:
A lot of people here cherish good albums from recent times that wouldn't get such attention otherwise. The '60s and '70s classics have the advantage of legacy, in contrast to how much more obscure the best music is today. Sites like this give a proper home to the gems that the mainstream is blinded to in a way they never were to the Beatles or Bob Dylan.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2019 08:07
  • Post subject: Re: Newer. more "indie" albums in overall chart
AndrewJFisher wrote:
Best album lists I'd studied tended to favour '60s and '70s music. Conspicuously absent from BEA's top 20 are Rubber Soul, Born to Run and Exile on Main Street and Dylan just scrapes in with Highway 61 Revisited.

Seems like the difference you're detecting is between critics lists like the Rolling Stone ones and user-generated ones on ranking/rating sites. BEA's essentially a ranking site, though its method's a little different because it's based on aggregating users' lists (charts). Radiohead's very popular among people online, at least the people who participate on these sites. The Stones and Dylan aren't quite as popular as Floyd, Beatles and Led Zeppelin, though still popular. A significant number of people online are young enough they prefer more recent bands like Radiohead and Arcade Fire to the some of the older ones, which is why some more recent bands' albums rank pretty high.

Quote:
In theory music should get better over time, but often when listening to a post '90s album I feel that it's taking two steps forward and three steps back.

"Theory"? Musical genres tend to get worse after they've been around a long time because almost everything (particularly the innovations) has already been done already. That's the main reason rock critic lists tend to favor the 60s and 70s (though of course there are other factors).
  • Visit poster's website
AndrewJFisher

New Zealand

• Posted: 04/02/2019 10:11
  • Post subject:
Infinity183 wrote:
A lot of people here cherish good albums from recent times that wouldn't get such attention otherwise. The '60s and '70s classics have the advantage of legacy, in contrast to how much more obscure the best music is today. Sites like this give a proper home to the gems that the mainstream is blinded to in a way they never were to the Beatles or Bob Dylan.

I couldn't honestly put Beatles or Dylan in my top 10 '60s bands, but not Velvet Underground either. If one was to analyse my '60s top 10, they'd probably say I favour the pre-heavy metal stuff, some of it "classic" e.g Hendrix and Deep Purple, some not so "classic" e,g Spooky Tooth and Small Faces. There are many classic "'70s hard rock" bands I couldn't honestly put in my '70s top ten now, though in the past I may have e.g Floyd, Zeppelin, AC/DC(with Bon), The Who etc. The '70s stuff I prefer is "rock" at varying degrees of hardness, not classic exactly, but all relatively well known stuff, in its own country at least, nothing obscure. I favour the '80s, partly because I was born in 1980 I suppose. I think maybe it was the '80s when the word "indie" became popular e.g the Indie Top 20 album series. The '80s stuff I prefer is a mix of the classic rock stuff e.g AC/DC's Back in Black and the well-known rock or pop/rock, but not classic stuff, nothing indie though I suppose The Cure comes close. As I went through the '90s and into the '00s I think I was on the verge of getting into some of the more obscure bands with their obscure sounds, The Eels e.g "Last Stop: This Town" was a particular focal point. I actually think 20 years later I'm still on that borderline.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website