Best Films of 2018 [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/31/2019 21:10
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised The Favourite beat out Roma. It's the better movie of the two. And the fact people had to leave their living rooms to see The Favourite makes it's win over Roma even sweeter.

I'm aware nobody who submitted lists lives in Mexico City, but Roma had sold out shows here for months (even a full month after the Netflix release!). You'd swear it was Harry Potter or a Marvel film. Lines down cinema blocks, people taking pictures with the poster, etc...

Roma only had a box office of around $4m, but keep in mind it doesn't really reflect the market that went to go see it because tickets were give-or-take 30-35 pesos depending on the cinema. I've never seen a community so proud about a film or as eager to see one as Roma. AMLO even had a screening at Los Pinos (which was free, but still garnered a sizeable crowd). People definitely left their living rooms to see Roma, including myself.

Quote:
that was one of only 3 or 4 movies i saw from all of last year. I thought it was okay...7-8/10 from me

...it got a 3/10 from me... Anxious really didn't like it.

Quote:
Hayden man, thank u so much for making this tourney possible and yes, of course, thanx to all the users that have joined it, I have a more colorful wish-list now.

And not a problem Smile It's never too much of a hassle.

Quote:
Rachel Weisz & Olivia Colman best female performances, of course, they were amazing

Tied runaways by the way. They both had 44 points. Aparicio was third with 22. Hawke and Phoenix were runaways too (...just noticed the bird connection).

Quote:
I watched The Miseducation of Cameron Post, "a teenage girl is forced into a gay conversion therapy center by her conservative guardians". That is on my top 20 now.

And after some picks I knew would never make it, I think this is the biggest snub. Figured Cameron Post would be a sure-in. Same with Crazy Rich Asians and Lazzaro Felice.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2019 21:29
  • Post subject:
I've been on the fence about Bohemian Rhapsody. Its either the worst good movie ever or the best bad movie ever.

Still enjoyed it more than Mandy. Surprised it made this list. Everyone from critics to the horror groups I'm in to BEA loved it. I gave my horror buddies shit for liking it, telling them they wouldn't know an art film if it slapped them in the face. They all seem to think its the most artsy and trippy horror film ever. As an arthouse fan and an advocate for psychedelics, I found it to be neither by a long shot. Expected you guys to know better. Since I was wrong, I can't really even blame y'all. I guess it's just me.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2019 22:24
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised The Favourite beat out Roma. It's the better movie of the two. And the fact people had to leave their living rooms to see The Favourite makes it's win over Roma even sweeter.

I'm aware nobody who submitted lists lives in Mexico City, but Roma had sold out shows here for months (even a full month after the Netflix release!). You'd swear it was Harry Potter or a Marvel film. Lines down cinema blocks, people taking pictures with the poster, etc...People definitely left their living rooms to see Roma, including myself.

I'm aware Roma was a hit in Mexico, but without Netflix it would not have had as many points in this poll. Other than Hayden, who lives in Mexico where it was a hit, did any participant in this poll see it in theaters? I should have phrased my original statement as such:

Quote:
...the fact people participants of this poll had to leave their living rooms to see The Favourite makes its win over Roma even sweeter.

badseed wrote:
Mandy. Surprised it made this list. Everyone from critics to the horror groups I'm in to BEA loved it. I gave my horror buddies shit for liking it, telling them they wouldn't know an art film if it slapped them in the face. They all seem to think its the most artsy and trippy horror film ever. As an arthouse fan and an advocate for psychedelics, I found it to be neither by a long shot. Expected you guys to know better. Since I was wrong, I can't really even blame y'all. I guess it's just me.

Yeah I guess it is just you. I viewed Mandy as a comedy-horror, and in that regard I enjoyed it. But that maybe that was just me. #29 seems fair. I definitely prefer it over Hereditary.

Last edited by CA Dreamin on 04/01/2019 04:17; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/31/2019 22:30
  • Post subject:
There was a breif theatrical run for Roma, mainly just in big-city theateres, I saw it at the Drafthouse a little while back.

But yeah good list as always, as usual plenty I didn't see and a few select ones just found overrated or felt fair-weather towards or maybe we're done in by the hype (Annhilation, Widows, Suspiria, Cold War etc). Forgot about Isle of Dogs but probably would've sneaked in at the lower end of my list. But should have a good list films to see, thanks Hayd-ian.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2019 23:18
  • Post subject:
So does it make me public enemy #1 for having only seen two 2018 films theatrically? I really don't go to the movies much for a variety of reasons. Netflix isn't an alternative to the theater to me; it's basically another form of home video. I've used numerous streaming services in the last month and watched quite a few Blurays. If Roma weren't on Netflix I'd have still found, watched and rated it highly because of its hype. Sorry my only real sources for movies these days (Letterboxd, Youtube, and awards season) didn't celebrate lesser known but superior films enough for me to get around to them. Think
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2019 23:30
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
But anyway, my point was Netflix boosted the three movies I mentioned, possibly Black Panther, Infinity War, and Incredibles 2 as well if anyone didn't see them in theaters. If not for Netflix, Other Side of the Wind wouldn't make the list; Buster Scruggs would probably be lower;

Though you had to have Netflix to see Other Side of the Wind, it's so demanding (more so than your average foreign art film) that no one who isn't already a major film buff and Welles fan would like or even sit through it. I'd define a Welles fan who's seen at least one or two films other than Citizen Kane. Since this poll had significantly more participants than the 40s and 40s decade and the film noir polls, I'm assuming that significantly more participants in this poll haven't seen Touch of Evil and/or Magnificent Ambersons, and therefore probably wouldn't be receptive to OSotW. So I don't think it being on Netflix is going to earn it many extra votes (I would've happily caught it in the theater if Netflix hadn't acquired it, so probably a majority of other Welles fans probably would've as well). Black Panther's one of the highest grossing movies of all time -- if it couldn't place higher than it did, Netflix probably didn't help much. Buster Scruggs might've gotten a little bump -- then again the Coens have a built-in fan base here as they do on most movie forums.

Just saw that Incredibles 2 is ranked 15th in the highest grossing films OAT (according to Wikipedia), while Infinity Wars didn't make the top 50 (the first two Avengers movies are in the top 10). Maybe others are struggling to keep up with the MCU like I am.

Quote:
Definitely Shoplifters.

My #1!

I would've preferred Netflix hadn't acquired Roma and it played at the art house theater near me instead: it requires a big screen more than most art films due to the importance of the action in the background.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/31/2019 23:32
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Just saw that Incredibles 2 is ranked 15th in the highest grossing films OAT (according to Wikipedia), while Infinity Wars didn't make the top 50 (the first two Avengers movies are in the top 10). Maybe others are struggling to keep up with the MCU like I am.

Not to be that person, but Infinity War is the 4th highest grossing film of all time, verging on 3rd. Think you skimmed over the list a bit fast.

And, to join in, Shoplifters climbed on my list closer to the deadline... think it rounded out at #4. Really fantastic bit of cinema.
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2019 23:56
  • Post subject:
Can you all explain in more detail what you didn't like about Bohemian Rhapsody? Was it just the writing? Sorry I'm just curious.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/01/2019 01:24
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
Can you all explain in more detail what you didn't like about Bohemian Rhapsody? Was it just the writing? Sorry I'm just curious.

Keep in mind I don't go into a film trying to rip it apart, but a lot of things were really awful...

The inaccuracies in the storyline (biopic/reality, etc...) were silly, not to mention the generic lazy errors scattered everywhere. Even as someone who's fond of Malek, and I think it's cool he has an Oscar now, he was definitely putting on an impression rather than an imitation... I could never get out of feeling like I wasn't watching Malek doing a Queen skit. He tried, definitely, and his heart was in it, but it didn't work at all for me. And the lip-sync vocal comparison can't be taken seriously.

Bohemian Rhapsody more than anything feels like an ad to sell greatest hits comps. I haven't a clue what story they were trying to tell, or any moral behind it. The films made it look like Queen hit success out of the blue, it lasted a year or two, then they had a (non-existent) fight/break-up thing, reconciled, reenacted a performance which was filmed and well-documented to a lesser result of the original, and then Mercury died. Every second they could dub over or inject a popular song, they did (even if it hadn't been released yet, because for some reason the band members forgot what was released when apparently), and the only up-and-coming grit they added to the film was the idea of Queen selling their touring van for studio time (which would never happen because it doesn't make sense). The main conflict mid-film is that the title track was considered too long, and the band insisted 'artistry wins out' or something like that, which... also didn't happen, nor is it too interesting.

Brian May definitely wanted to portray the band in a positive light, but it's clear he didn't want anything negative said about him Confused He's put on to be this glue of the band that could do no wrong (and is an astrophysicist!). It's oddly braggadocios. They made sure everything looked as polished as possible, and the band's legacy couldn't be tarnished by a single thing. It's vanilla. This could've practically been any band at anytime doing anything.

Editing was awful (not just the scenes going around as being 'awfully edited' either). The film had so many cuts it felt like an entire feature within the first 40 minutes. You're never given time to watch. Sound and cinematography were bland textbook, so no positives or negatives there, but it's so unnecessarily meh. Everything is easy, flavourless, uninspired, and at times truly lazy. Writing's not too hot either. What's exciting here?

It comes down to the inaccuracies (for a biopic, lead by the actual band), the taming of Mercury (PG13??), and the general lack of any purpose. I feel bad Mercury didn't have a say... I really don't think he would've liked it. I know production was a hot mess, but if we're not keeping true to life, what's the point of the film?

Everyone's saying people are hating on it for no reason, or the controversy about the director, but its criticism is well deserved. I haven't a clue why I would watch it again. I found it really unenjoyable, and perhaps even made me feel less positive towards Queen Confused It's a karaoke version of the film it should've been.
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2019 03:20
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Not to be that person, but Infinity War is the 4th highest grossing film of all time, verging on 3rd. Think you skimmed over the list a bit fast.

No worries. It was so high up I missed it! Fortunately that mistake was just part of an observation and not a larger point. Another incidental observation: apparently, when adjusted for inflation, no superhero movie cracks the top 20. Would've thought Spider-Man or one of the others would've made it in. The rankings vary a little from site to site sometimes based on the formula they use, but the superhero movie absence seems consistent.
  • Visit poster's website