Dream Music Career

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Wombi

• Posted: 10/13/2011 03:52
  • Post subject: Dream Music Career
or "SEX! ... okay do I have your attention now?" Part 2

I know there are a few us who actually do some music and may or may not want to pursue it in someway: myself, Hayden (I'm guessing?) and Applerill (to a lesser extent Razz ) But everyone else (or even anyone who is pursuing or looking at pursuing music) how would you set out your dream music career?

would you start off underground make one hit get big and then isolate all your listeners with a full blown crazy experimental lp?

would you produce first get your name out as an a-grade tune maker and thenwow everyone adn show that you're a greater artist than those you were working for?

or would it not be about the music at all but the attitude and clothes?

also genre, discography and groupie descriptions please!
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/13/2011 06:27
  • Post subject:
That's what my "plan" outta my dreams looks like:
1.) Learn to play guitar and piano/synth a bit better
2.) Try to express my feelings and emotions through a song (and then write a song)
3.) Make some sort of a home studio
4.) Learn to make (record, produce) a song
5.) Make some shitty demos /or/ find somebody (at least one ffs) that shares your view of music and would be interested to make music with you (shit, I'll at least need a singer, I can't sing for shit)
6.) Send my/our demos to the "alter" radio station; maybe try to get known there.. Or just try to get known in the local underground scene - considering this is Slovenia and there aren't that many bands, it shouldn't be that hard if the music is somewhat decent (it would be harder if I did that solo though)
7.) Playing at the local clubs to small crowds, and eventually writing enough songs to make an album.
8.) Album is really good for the Slovenian music scene, so we get huge praise from both of the music critics in Slovenia (yeah there aren't many more).
9.) We get big in the underground scene, even break a bit into the Slovenian mainstream but since we're too complicated for the average Joe in this country we of course don't make a load of money.
10.) But we get sth at least, and with touring, collaborating with other (better known) musicians, and maybe a little bit of recognition outside the borders (since we're so damn good), we get enough money to make a living and to keep making music.

And that's pretty much what I would want. To make my doing something I love. I'm a bit undecided on whether this would be solo or with a band. Probably with a band, but with enough creative control to write (and then produce) certain songs myself (or else the "colab" thing with other musicians fails for me or sth). And I don't know what genre either. There would be electronic elements to our/my music for sure, and I would want to produce my own (electronic) beats (maybe we wouldn't even have a drummer huh). But the music shouldn't be all too "alter" either, I always prefer fusions of experimental with pop(pier) music, and that's what I would be aiming at.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 10/13/2011 10:55
  • Post subject:
It must be about making the best music that you can and keeping it real.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 10/13/2011 11:37
  • Post subject:
I would release my first solo rap album, entitled - Polythene Pam - Greatest Hits, Feat Polythene Pam, It would be mostly me reciting the alphabet, perhaps with Hootie and the Blowfish doing some backing

My 2nd album , entitled PAM Straight Outta Wellington. This would be mostly like a "collage of abstract paintings and 'Dadaist' sketches whose psychotic "songs" are effectively a collection of dense, dark and crackling sounds allied to a demented rhythm and blues."

And my final masterpiece would be entitled, The Day That Music Died. It will go back to my roots and feature my trademark "hip" culturally aware lyrics about the price of tea in China and the overratedness of bread. All done in my favourite style of PunkGaze

Maybe then I will move into literature

Although I will always be remembered for my work in charity, my honesty, modesty and general awesomeness
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2011 12:47
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I'm in a local music collective with:
*A Green Day/SwitchFoot cover band.
*A white-as-can-be rapper that just does his rhymes over stock, unedited Apple Loops and karaoke tracks
*A guy with a $3000+ recording studio in his house that makes music that's basically Yngwie Malmsteen covering Hoobastank (in other words, generic instrumental pop-punk). Though he recently formed a new, "totally original" band called "Forgetting Yesterday".

So yeah, say what you want about Charlie N. George, but you can't say I have that much competition, especially in the originality/taste department Razz

The sad thing is, that last guy, despite thinking that Crazy Frog and Family Force Five are "classic artists", really is going to make music his main career when he grows up.
But yeah, as much as I love recording, I'm almost completely certain that I'm not gonna ever go commercial with my music. Right before discovering the magic "industrial/Beefheart/doom" formula that will be used on our new album, I was really discouraged with Charlie N. George, and wondered whether I was wasting my time.

I mean, I originally got into it because I thought it would be cool to make a record, and so I'd learn a lot as well (which I certainly did). But it really started to hurt when other people made fun of my way of having fun. Maybe I shouldn't make fun of Rebecca Black as much, despite her horrible taste that I lack Razz

But now I think I have a great formula, and I'm gonna keep going with it. Basically, what I'm gonna do when I grow up is, if I don't completely grow out of making music, I'll continue to make little Creative Commons psychedelic records with my friends in my free time. I've already produced several non-CNG albums (one of them, though all I did was arrange the track order, turned out to be one of the best albums of the year), and I seem to be much better at that than playing and writing.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 10/13/2011 13:11
  • Post subject:
Form a band

Release first 3 albums within a year of each other

Trash talk about eradicating "indie" and the all the things that come with the none-scene. Blame the stagnation of the charts on those attitudes.

Get to number 1 a few times.

Organize world tours and try to get music to mean a lot more in peoples lives again.

Outsell The Beatles through sheer amount of releases.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 10/13/2011 19:28
  • Post subject: Re: Dream Music Career
Jhereko wrote:
how would you set out your dream music career?

I sing in a band, but I wouldn't like to think of it as a possible "career". I think the whole idea is vulgar.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 10/14/2011 02:11
  • Post subject: Re: Dream Music Career
Norman Bates wrote:

I sing in a band, but I wouldn't like to think of it as a possible "career".

Please kindly post some clips Mr. Bates Cool

Norman Bates wrote:
I think the whole idea is vulgar.

Laughing just out of interest could you eleaborate on this?

• Posted: 10/14/2011 06:27
  • Post subject:
Well, I would get something of a cult following with my current outfit: a noise rock band named John and the Blanks consisting of me on guitar and lead vocals, a keyboardist (who sings lead vocals with me), a drummer, and a bassist/backup vocalist. After videos of our intense performances went viral and we established a nationwide fanbase, we would fall apart due to creative differences and failure to impress the critics with our first EP, "What the Blank?"

After this tragic disintegration, Dan (the drummer) and I would return to a group we had started back in high school known as Ysque (pronounced "Isk") consisting of myself on guitar and lead vocals, Dan on drums, a cellist (who shared lead vocals with me), and a bassist (the cellist's brother). We would then finish the songs we had started all those years ago (including my 16-minute magnum opus known as Dreamcatcher (this is a song I've actually already written and performed several times in its 16-minute entirety, by the way)) and compile them to create our first album, "Dreamcatcher", an epic progressive rock opera detailing the story of a Native American man's journey to take revenge on the Englishman who slaughtered his daughter and raped his wife. To our surprise, the album will not only be a smash hit among followers of John and the Blanks, but it will be so revolutionary and innovative that no critic will be able to deny it its place among such classics as Sgt. Pepper and Dark Side of the Moon. The members of the band, who were of course not trying to create a legendary album but rather just trying to have a good time rocking out with their friends, will be stunned by this and will not be entirely sure how to react to their newfound fame as rock legends.

Two years later, we will release our second album, "High Water" (so named as an homage to the Rush song of the same name), another rock opera describing a young man's journey sailing on the ocean, having to deal with the death of his shipmates and several supernatural occurrences that surround him. The style of this album will draw more from the style of sea chanties in the way that "Dreamcatcher" drew from Native American musical styles. Though the album will receive an equally enthusiastic reaction from our fans, the critics will view it as a relatively weak effort after the masterful production of our debut, saying that, unlike our debut, in which the story and music were woven perfectly together in a way that was bot appealing to listen to and yet complex enough to make you think, the story of this album is the main focus and the album suffers due to a lack of musicality.

Desperate to prove the critics wrong, the band (without my consent) decides to create a more pop-oriented (though still progressive) album. Three years later, we will release our third album, simply titled "Ysque", a collection of shorter, individual songs that maintained the style of our older recordings but simplified the themes. To my chagrin, the album turns out to be a huge hit. Many critics rank it up with "Dreamcatcher" while others argue that nothing could ever come close to our debut. Ashamed of having sold out for critical acclaim, I leave the band, and without my leadership and songwriting ability, they are forced to disband.

It's a true American tragedy.
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 10/14/2011 09:07
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Well, I would get something of a cult following with my current outfit: a noise rock band named John and the Blanks consisting of me on guitar and lead vocals, a keyboardist (who sings lead vocals with me), a drummer, and a bassist/backup vocalist. After videos of our intense performances went viral and we established a nationwide fanbase, we would fall apart due to creative differences and failure to impress the critics with our first EP, "What the Blank?"

After this tragic disintegration, Dan (the drummer) and I would return to a group we had started back in high school known as Ysque (pronounced "Isk") consisting of myself on guitar and lead vocals, Dan on drums, a cellist (who shared lead vocals with me), and a bassist (the cellist's brother). We would then finish the songs we had started all those years ago (including my 16-minute magnum opus known as Dreamcatcher (this is a song I've actually already written and performed several times in its 16-minute entirety, by the way)) and compile them to create our first album, "Dreamcatcher", an epic progressive rock opera detailing the story of a Native American man's journey to take revenge on the Englishman who slaughtered his daughter and raped his wife. To our surprise, the album will not only be a smash hit among followers of John and the Blanks, but it will be so revolutionary and innovative that no critic will be able to deny it its place among such classics as Sgt. Pepper and Dark Side of the Moon. The members of the band, who were of course not trying to create a legendary album but rather just trying to have a good time rocking out with their friends, will be stunned by this and will not be entirely sure how to react to their newfound fame as rock legends.

Two years later, we will release our second album, "High Water" (so named as an homage to the Rush song of the same name), another rock opera describing a young man's journey sailing on the ocean, having to deal with the death of his shipmates and several supernatural occurrences that surround him. The style of this album will draw more from the style of sea chanties in the way that "Dreamcatcher" drew from Native American musical styles. Though the album will receive an equally enthusiastic reaction from our fans, the critics will view it as a relatively weak effort after the masterful production of our debut, saying that, unlike our debut, in which the story and music were woven perfectly together in a way that was bot appealing to listen to and yet complex enough to make you think, the story of this album is the main focus and the album suffers due to a lack of musicality.

Desperate to prove the critics wrong, the band (without my consent) decides to create a more pop-oriented (though still progressive) album. Three years later, we will release our third album, simply titled "Ysque", a collection of shorter, individual songs that maintained the style of our older recordings but simplified the themes. To my chagrin, the album turns out to be a huge hit. Many critics rank it up with "Dreamcatcher" while others argue that nothing could ever come close to our debut. Ashamed of having sold out for critical acclaim, I leave the band, and without my leadership and songwriting ability, they are forced to disband.

It's a true American tragedy.

Then, 2 years later, they find you living in a room at a roach motel surrounded by beer cans and dead pizza.

You all realize that there was a lot of great music the band was never able to make.

So Ysque reunites and releases their 4th. album Run To The Hills (an homage to the Iron Maiden song) and it goes 3x platinum.

And, more importantly, GARY puts it on his chart.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website