4%
 4%  [1]
Total Votes : 21

MCOTho

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2019 10:46
  • Post subject: Hip-Hop
Current top 20 Hip-hop albums on BEA:
1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West (45)
2. To Pimp A Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar (52)
3. Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City - Kendrick Lamar (61)
4. Illmatic - Nas (83)
5. Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - Wu-Tang Clan (116)
6. Madvillainy - Madvillain (128)
7. Endtroducing..... - DJ Shadow (143)
8. Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys (176)
9. The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest (177)
10. The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem (184)
11. The College Dropout - Kanye West (199)
12. It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back - Public Enemy (196)
13. Ready To Die - The Notorious B.I.G. (262)
14. Late Registration - Kanye West (289)
15. Aquemini - OutKast (317)
16. Yeezus - Kanye West (322)
17. Stankonia -OutKast (355)
18. Liquid Swords - GZA (358)
19. The Chronic - Dr. Dre (371)
20. Graduation - Kanye West (414)

I think that while not horrible, this website is not representative of what Hip-hop fans would consider the best albums. Any thoughts on this? I am especially shocked by the top 3, which I wouldn't put in my top 20 Hip-hop albums personally.
Would be interested to see people's top 10 hip-hop albums as well.

Last edited by MCOTho on 03/31/2019 00:05; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2019 11:48
  • Post subject:
It's okay. I admit I'm probably not helping as much as I should with how outdated my overall is at this point.

One of the biggest issues websites like BEA and RYM have is implementing an algorithm that keeps genre biases of users from creating an in accurate overall list. It is pretty clear that the majority of users on both sites are rockists, so naturally since the website depends on the users to decide the charts, the charts are very rockist as well. If more hip-hop heads and youth got more involved I'm sure the accuracy would increase.
  • Visit poster's website
Sandinistar

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2019 14:00
  • Post subject:
The main issues with the list is the over-representation of Kanye, lack of Wu-Tang, and relatively low placement of Illmatic, I'd say... But it's got good stuff.

EDIT: Never mind, you just forgot to put Enter the Wu on your list, it should be at #5. Much better
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2019 14:08
  • Post subject:
Well, this is embarrassing, because my top three are the same as BEA's top three, just in a different order. This is my full list.

I think one thing that drives this list is that the best rappers don't always create the best albums. One of your big gripes with this list seems to be Kanye, as he doesn't show up anywhere on your overall. But Kanye is pretty accessible for non-hip hop fans, and each of his albums feel complete and consistent. Compare that to something like Ready to Die or Capital Punishment (which isn't in our top twenty). The rapping is almost certainly better and more interesting, but the lows are lower and the albums feel padded out with skits. Personally, I find it tough to compare these types of albums against non-hip hop albums that aren't weighed down by all that filler, so they end up placing lower for me even though I'm a big fan of those rappers. I could be totally off, since a lot of the albums in our top 20 are fairly long, but I think it contributes.

Overall I'm fine with this list but even a lot of my favorites (Kanye and Madvillain mostly) aren't albums I would recommend for someone trying to get into the genre since they're not super representative. I think the main improvement would be taking away Eminem and Beastie Boys, but that's more of a personal note since I've never been a fan.
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2019 15:31
  • Post subject:
Going to pull our conversation over from MBDTF:

Quote:
The trend of hip-hop devolving into a pop happened long ago. I just think a lot of younger people grew up after the golden era, in a time where relative to the mainstream "rap music", things like this and Kendrick seem incredible, but to people in the hip-hop culture, they aren't. This is the best Hip-hop album of all time according to this website. That's not an opinion you will find anywhere else.

Why is hip-hop interacting with pop a devolution? It seems to me the interaction of hip-hop and pop could be expected to produce both good and bad music.

RYM has the same top three hip-hop albums as BEA, just in a slightly different order. And I don't think the love for MBDTF is as rare as you think it is in society at large.

In my experience hip-hop culture venerates the old school and appreciates the new school. Because hip-hop culture isn't a static institution governed by oldheads. It's, well, a culture, which is adaptive and ever-changing.

I love lots of music from every era of hip-hop and think Kendrick made the best two hip-hop albums of all time. And while you think Eminem is the GOAT, I think he's hot garbage. Different strokes for different folks.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2019 16:34
  • Post subject:
A lot of these albums are on your overall chart, which includes 3 albums by Eminem. I don't know what this thread is about. Do you just not like Kanye and Kendrick?

At least you have Big L, that's not a bad choice.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2019 17:04
  • Post subject:
Bob Dylan is the greatest rapper of all time. Laughing

• Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2019 17:05
  • Post subject:
But in all seriousness, it seems pretty canon to me. It might not be 100% and somethings maybe higher than others and lower than they deserve, but it's not like the worst ever either.
  • Visit poster's website
MCOTho

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2019 18:47
  • Post subject:
Woah, lots of great replies. Gotta start using this forum more.
babyBlueSedan, I think you make a really good point about the best rapper not always making the best albums. Kanye is actually one of my favorite rappers, but I think he suffers from this imo. I think there's 16 hip-hop albums on my overall list, so it's just a matter of there being a lot of really good hip hop more than Kanye being bad or something. His 3 albums I really enjoy (College Dropout, Late Registration, and Graduation) are walking the line of being on my list, especially the former, might actually be on there. I really dislike his new stuff though, and same with Eminem. I think they are both pretty bad now, but both probably my in my top 5.
  • Visit poster's website
MCOTho

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2019 18:56
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart, hello again. Do you not feel like hip-hop has gotten worse to the point where people have argued it doesn't exist anymore? In the 90s there were like 5 great albums per year. Starting in the mid 2000s, it's hard to find a single good album every couple of year, and they are all more poppy (to answer your question that the pop influence can make good content, yes). As far as Kendrick making the 2 greatest hip-hop albums, I will probably make a thread about that. I have listened to all his albums multiple times, have read reviews and I just don't get the hype. His lyrics to me are ideological and from a literary devices standpoint quite lackluster. The statement that Eminem is hot garbage and Kendrick is godlike breaks my heart. I hate his stuff after Encore, so maybe that's what you mean, but even in that stuff most people can see that he is on another level with his rhyming, alliteration, assonance, etc. Kendrick doesn't compare in that sense. If I don't either agree with the message, or the parts I do agree with I have heard in a million rap songs before him, how am I supposed to like his lyrics?
Again, I am extremely open to the probability that I am missing something, because it is so well regarded, but this is where I stand after listening to him many many times and talking to many people about it.
  • Visit poster's website