Not letting do a top 100

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
quadrophenia17

United States

• Posted: 10/14/2011 16:41
  • Post subject: Not letting do a top 100
Every time I want to edit my chart, the website only lets me do my top 40 albums instead of top 100. WTF
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 10/14/2011 17:02
  • Post subject:
You currently have 40 member points.

You need 500 points to have a 100 chart album.

..................... level1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4 Level 5 Level 6 Level 7 Level 8
Member points 0.... 50....... 250.... 500 ....1,000.... 2,500... 5,000..... 10,000
Post URLs on forums No Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Maximum chart size 40 40 50 100 100 100 100 100
Greatest album chart Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Forthcoming features ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/14/2011 17:39
  • Post subject:
Yes, GARY is right. Charts now increase in size depending on your level, and more features will become available the more that you use the site.

This announcement explains the changes in more detail, and there will be some more big changes over the next month or two, as BEA rolls out year and decade charts.
  • Visit poster's website
quizking

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/14/2011 18:59
  • Post subject:
Hi albummaster - i just asked the same question on the "music" part of the forum. I've run a php board before and run my own website now, and know the principle of "levels", but the trouble is you might be attracting "powerposters" who just post short comments and clog up the board, just to gain level upgrades.
If i'd have known that i'd have to spend some considerable time on the forum before being "allowed" to contribute a full chart, i wouldn't have bothered - it's certainly not made clear when joining. Doesn't make me feel at all welcome - sorry, but not happy with this.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 10/14/2011 19:55
  • Post subject:
quizking wrote:
Hi albummaster - i just asked the same question on the "music" part of the forum. I've run a php board before and run my own website now, and know the principle of "levels", but the trouble is you might be attracting "powerposters" who just post short comments and clog up the board, just to gain level upgrades.
If i'd have known that i'd have to spend some considerable time on the forum before being "allowed" to contribute a full chart, i wouldn't have bothered - it's certainly not made clear when joining. Doesn't make me feel at all welcome - sorry, but not happy with this.

Have you considered the fact that you also get

Comments points
Ratings points
Mod points

Is your site free Question

• Visit poster's website
quizking

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/14/2011 20:15
  • Post subject:
Yes my site is free. Thanks for asking - see the link.

It just seems to me that all votes are equal, but some are more equal than others. I might hang around and make some ratings, and would have linked to this site from my own as i do love the idea, and indeed over 20 years ago compiled my own top 500 compilation list from many music press lists of the time. But i'm less likely to want to contribute now that i know that my current level of input to the overall chart is restricted, at least for the meanwhile.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/14/2011 20:21
  • Post subject:
quizking wrote:
Yes my site is free. Thanks for asking - see the link.

It just seems to me that all votes are equal, but some are more equal than others. I might hang around and make some ratings, and would have linked to this site from my own as i do love the idea, and indeed over 20 years ago compiled my own top 500 compilation list from many music press lists of the time. But i'm less likely to want to contribute now that i know that my current level of input to the overall chart is restricted, at least for the meanwhile.

Well this I just don't get... The whole point of this new system was to encourage people into becoming more active on the site, instead of just submitting their chart and leaving.
  • Visit poster's website
quizking

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/14/2011 20:42
  • Post subject:
What if i did want to do exactly that? Sure some might be encouraged to post more, but it will also put others off; our votes won't count as much unless we post and/or rate lots. Enough already - i didn't realise that would have to visit lots in order to post a full top 100 list - and had i known that, i wouldn't have posted a list at all.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 10/14/2011 20:54
  • Post subject:
quizking wrote:
What if i did want to do exactly that? Sure some might be encouraged to post more, but it will also put others off; our votes won't count as much unless we post and/or rate lots. Enough already - i didn't realise that would have to visit lots in order to post a full top 100 list - and had i known that, i wouldn't have posted a list at all.

If you know a lot of music then why not just go ahead and rate a bunch of songs and albums you are familiar with and you will have 500 points before you know it.

Looking at your chart I would guess you know a lot about music.

• Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/14/2011 20:56
  • Post subject:
quizking wrote:
I've run a php board before and run my own website now, and know the principle of "levels", but the trouble is you might be attracting "powerposters" who just post short comments and clog up the board, just to gain level upgrades.

The fact is, the points system provides an incentive for people to help contribute to the site, and it also makes it more difficult for people to submit duplicate charts. We also need to have a mechanism here to allow data maintenance to be shared out, which will become an even bigger issue once year and decade charts have been released. Who's going to help with all of that data maintenance if there isn't an incentive to contribute?

Certainly nobody on their own could keep the site running properly without the help of other people. If you run your own site, you'll probably know much time it takes to look after and maintain properly. Even without all of the data issues, you have development of new features, bug-fixing, server maintenance, answering emails/PMs/forum posts (like this one), etc etc. Development of new features *alone* takes well over a hundred hours of my time each month, and this site is free for you to use.

quizking wrote:
If i'd have known that i'd have to spend some considerable time on the forum before being "allowed" to contribute a full chart, i wouldn't have bothered

You can build your points up quite quickly in lots of diffferent ways. As GARY said, you can get points by submitting ratings, helping with data management, as well as posting comments (so, people don't have to spam the board to build up their points total). Also, a chart of 40 entries is not insignificant, and *does* still count towards the overall rankings.

quizking wrote:
it's certainly not made clear when joining. Doesn't make me feel at all welcome - sorry, but not happy with this.

There are lots of members here who would be more than happy to say hi and chat about music with you. I think that's the best kind of welcome anyone could give. I don't know why having a smaller chart makes you feel unwelcome, but I'd like to understand for future reference.
  • Visit poster's website