Distinguishing-Same name artists-same country?

View previous topic :: View next topic
GBrady

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2019 17:06
  • Post subject: Distinguishing-Same name artists-same country?
So I've seen this a couple times already but didn't see anything specifically addressing this on the "How it Works" page.

What is the preferred method for keeping the bestography of two artists with identical names from the same country separate?

Examples:
There was a Cleveland, Ohio based band named The Choir active in the 1960s.
There is also an alternative rock outfit named The Choir active from the 1980s into the present which is also U.S. based. Currently the second band is showing up along with releases of the first.

There is a minimalist artist born 1940 in the U.S. by the name of Jon Gibson.
There is also an R&B artist born in the U.S. in 1964 named Jon Gibson. Their releases are currently gathered under one bestography.

Can we create a secondary artist with a title in the format "Jon Gibson (minimalist)" to move the "wrong" releases to and change the original artist to "Jon Gibson (R&B)"?

Is there another way BEA would handle it to make it more apparent to people adding new releases where they should correctly place it?
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2019 17:13
  • Post subject:
Quote:
When two or more artists share the same name, please append a suffix in brackets to distinguish them:

1. If the artists with the same name are from different countries, use the two character ISO country code to distinguish them. e.g. (CA)
2. If the artists with the same name are also from the same country, use their active decade to distinguish them. e.g. (70s)
3. If the artists with the same name are from the same country and the same decade, use the genre to distinguish them. e.g. (Jazz)
4. If the artists still cannot be distinguished, then append something short that will enable visitors to know the 'correct' artist from their name without having to drill through to their discography.

Source: https://www.besteveralbums.com/admin_band_help.php

I would make a comment on one of the albums asking for a second artist to be created. If you don't have the ability to make a comment, then the best course of action is probably to post the examples on this forum (correct me if I'm wrong mods).
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/28/2019 18:29
  • Post subject:
Thanks for reporting these. The releases have now been split across the two artists and added a distinguishing suffix to differentiate the two (this can be tweaked if needed).
  • Visit poster's website