Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 08/08/2021 17:46
  • Post subject:
Franco D'Andrea - Dialogues with Super Ego
Year: 1980
Style or Subgenre: Piano Jazz, Post Bop

Italian pianist Franco D'Andrea is a dynamic virtuoso. There are often parts of this album where it's hard to believe it's a solo effort. In addition to the virtuosity, D'Andrea puts his personal imprint on every song in this set. A solid listen.

Nadir

Link

Via Libera

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 08/08/2021 23:59
  • Post subject:
Bill Hardman - Politely
Year: 1981
Style or Subgenre: Hard Bop

For 1981, this is a total throwback. Really, there's nothing new here; pure hard bop with maybe just a touch of soul jazz. Oh yeah, and that's one weak album cover.

.... but the music really is great! What a joy to listen to this. Hardman and his quintet keep the hard bop vibe alive without letting it get stale. These cats can swing... and they rip! I especially like the title cut, as well as their take on 'Trane's "Lazy Bird," which is anything but lazy!

Politely

Link

Lazy Bird

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2021 00:30
  • Post subject:
Steve Marcus - Count's Rock Band
Year: 1969
Style or Subgenre: Fusion, Post Bop, Jazz Funk

After gushing over Eleventh House with Larry Coryell, I received a suggestion to check this one out (Coryell is on guitar here as well). That turned out to be a fantastic suggestion. Groovy, funky, and full of all the soul 1969 had to offer, this on has me thrilled to be alive with a set of functioning ears. The opening "Theresa's Blues" is positively scorching! Marcus in a fine sax man and plays with soul to spare here, but he also gives tons of room to Coryell and his distorted electric guitar. I daresay this makes a fine companion to MIles Davis's Jack Johnson as it sits on the hard rock side of fusion and prominently features electric guitar. What's amazing is that this precedes Jack Johnson by 2 years!

Theresa's Blues

Link

Ooh Baby

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2021 23:00
  • Post subject:
Wadada Leo Smith - The Great Lakes Suites
Recording Date: 2012
Release Date: 2014
Style or Subgenre: Avant Garde, Modern Free Jazz

I've had this disc a couple years now, and this was probably my 5th listen if I'm recollecting correctly. While I liked this first time I popped it into the player, this is the first time I really feel like I got it. Avant garde seems to me a challenging vehicle to do impressionism of natural settings. It's the musical equivalent of seeing a painting titled along the lines of Half Dome at Sunrise, but the painting is purely abstract, with no visual cues to its subject matter either in shape or color. When I listen to Borodin's In the Steppes of Central Asia, I'm right there with the caravan on those grasslands, when play Hovhaness's Mt. St. Helens Symphony, I hear the great mountain erupting. Alas, when I listened to this, I struggled to hear anything reminiscent of the great lakes. Until now. It just clicked. Either that, or I've just conditioned myself by reading the song titles as I listen to each song. But now, I hear both the calm and the fury these massive bodies of water can produce. I see the surface with its gentle waves lapping at the shore on a calm summer day, or the huge whitecapped swells, threatening and foreboding as in the early gales of November (when the Edmund Fitzgerald was sunk).

There is one song for each great lake... and then some. I also got a bit of a geography lesson today. We all know there are 5 great lakes, but there are 6 cuts on this expansive two disc set. In addition to Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, Lake Ontario, and Lake Erie, we also get Lake St. Clair. Today I finally decided to look up what the heck that was (it's a great song by the way) and it turns out there's a large lake on the east shore of Detroit taking in the output from Huron and feeding it into Erie. I never knew Detroit even had a waterfront, despite my having passed through a few times, including entering once from Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

With only six songs filling two discs, you can imagine each is long, and they are. One simply does not do a great lake justice in three or four minutes! Ontario is shortest at 9:18 and Michigan is longest at an even 22:00 and none of these songs wears out its welcome. This is avant garde but it's not scary stuff and each song, no matter how free, has a rhythm and a pulse to it.

Smith's trumpet is both sharp and expressive, but he's not the only one carrying the melodic weight here as Henry Threadgill is every bit his equal on sax. The two together are a modern front line dream. Having none other than Jack DeJohnette on drums ensures a foundation that is both solid and expressive as well.

I think The Great Lakes Suites is a triumph of modern expressionism.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2021 01:29
  • Post subject:
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond
Year: 1975
Style or Subgenre: Fusion

Is it in the same category with Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire? Alas, I cannot say so. But the second incarnation of the Mahavishnu Orchestra is still a solid fusion outfit. It's hard not to miss Billy Cobham on drums, but Narada Michael Walden holds his own well. Gayle Moran seems to be an adequate replacement on keys for Jan Hammer as well. While I'm not always a violin fan in jazz, the addition of Jean Luc Ponty works quite well here. So what's the beef? First, the compositions aren't quite as engaging and second they don't seem to be delivered with quite the same fire. While Carol Shive has a nice enough voice, it sometimes seems they're trying too hard to justify the vocals as the vehicle to interject a spiritual element into the music. Now those are all three very minor quibbles, and I still love this album, even if I don't spin it as often as those first two.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2021 01:53
  • Post subject:
Electromagnets - Electromagnets
Year: 1975
Style or Subgenre: Fusion

After Visions of the Emerald Beyond, I decided to go with another 1975 fusion album, this time the self-titled debut by Electromagnets. Never heard of them? Not surprising. But they're not altogether obscure as this was guitar great Eric Johnson's gig before his more successful solo career as a progressive melodic rock artist. They played from '74 to '76 but failed to gain any traction and subsequently disbanded... more or less. Totally awesome bassist Kyle Brock and keyboardist Steve Barber accompanied Johnson into his solo career with Barber appearing on his breakthrough Tones album and both returning for the even bigger Ah, Via Musicom! album. But this earlier gig is still solid fusion, albeit with a heavy dose of Eric Johnson on it. Think of it as two thirds Mahavishnu-style fusion and one part Eric Johnson the melodic rock guitar hero. Oh, and Bill Maddox's drumming is totally off the hook wicked hot. That makes for a very nice mix in my ear. So glad Eric's solo career grew to the point EGM decided to reach back and give his earlier work wide release.

Dry Ice

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2021 20:39
  • Post subject:
Vijay Iyer - Historicity
Year: 2009
Style or Subgenre: Progressive Jazz, Piano Jazz, Post Bop

Vijay Iyer - Accelerando
Year: 2012
Style or Subgenre: Progressive Jazz, Piano Jazz, Post Bop

Vijay Iyer always excites me, and these albums may excite me most. This is one creative dude... well three actually as bassist Stephan Crump and drummer Marcus Gilmore also nail it on both these exceptional modern piano trio albums. And that creativity crosses, blends, and integrates so many styles and moods, but always has a high emotional content that eludes many trios. Great stuff throughout.

Galang (from Historicity)

Link

Optimism (from Accelerando)

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2021 22:51
  • Post subject:
Rez Abbasi - Unfiltered Universe
Recording Date: 2016
Release Date: 2017
Style or Subgenre: Fusion, Progressive Jazz, Post Bop, Guitar Jazz

Rez Abbasi - A Throw of Dice
Year: 2019
Style or Subgenre: Progressive Jazz, Post Bop, Guitar Jazz

I really enjoyed these two recent finds from guitarist Rez Abbasi, who is also a fine composer. The earlier album is a fusion influenced post bop affair while the latter is largely acoustic, but also with a progressive edge. Evident throughout both are shades of Abbasi's Pakistani heritage, nicely blended into his jazz vision.

The King (from Unfiltered Universe)

Link

Propensity (from Unfiltered Universe)

Link

Hopeful Impressions (from A Throw of Dice)

Link

Snake Bite (from A Throw of Dice)

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 10/01/2021 21:01
  • Post subject:
Herbie Nichols - The Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Vol. 1
Year: 1955
Style or Subgenre: Bop, Hard Bop, Post Bop

Herbie Nichols - The Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Vol. 2
Year: 1955
Style or Subgenre: Bop, Hard Bop, Post Bop

Creative melodies, Monk-ish harmonies, and some really cool drumming in the trio made for some very cool listening in this set.

The Third World (from The Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Vol 1)

Link

Amoeba's Dance (from The Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Vol 2)

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 10/03/2021 01:00
  • Post subject:
Yoko Miwa - Songs of Joy
Year: 2021
Style or Subgenre: Piano Jazz, Post Bop

Well, I have to say I enjoyed the heck out of this. Not unlike McCoy Tyner, there are powerful block chords interspersed with joyous melody and shimmering trills; I heard the sonic equivalent of the dazzling, shimmering light and color of the aspen leaves in autumn, I heard the tiny but radiant light crystals reflecting off the surface of an alpine lake or mountain stream... I heard.... joy. This is a highly talented composer and pianist. Rounding out the joy is a perfectly sympathetic trio with joyous drums and beautifully structured and interwoven bass. This is a delight all the way around.

Love the cover, too. A simple but beautiful photo reflecting freedom, motion, flow, and yes..... joy!

Freedom

Link

Song of Joy

Link
  • Visit poster's website