Disintegration_Which tracklist do you prefer ?

View previous topic :: View next topic
Yann

France

• Posted: 09/14/2019 19:18
  • Post subject: Disintegration_Which tracklist do you prefer ?
Do you prefer the original vinyl issue ending with the song Disintegration without Last Dance and Homesick (I initially got it wrong, thanks CA Dreamin), or the CD (and now "canonical") version (with these two songs originally listed as bonus tracks in the CD) ?

It was the beginning of the CD and the little extra space led to these sorts of single-and-a-half albums. So was it a good choice to add 2 more tracks? (just because they could?) Has it made Disintegration a better album ?

Disintegration by The Cure

Plainsong, 5:15
Pictures of You, 7:28
Closedown, 4:21
Lovesong, 3:30
Last Dance, 4:47
Lullaby, 4:12
Fascination Street, 5:16
Prayers for Rain, 6:07
The Same Deep Water as You, 9:22
Disintegration, 8:23
Homesick, 7:09
Untitled, 6:30

Last edited by Yann on 09/14/2019 20:10; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2019 20:00
  • Post subject: Re: Disintegration_Which tracklist do you prefer ?
Yann wrote:
Do you prefer the original vinyl issue ending with the song Disintegration, or the CD (and now "canonical") version ending with Homesick and Untitled (originally listed as bonus tracks in the CD) ?

For my part , I think ending with disintegration was not a bad idea. The album has a very different physiognomy this way. I like Homesick and Untitled, but aren't they a bit redundant with the two slow epic songs which are just before the song Disintegration ? And don't they make the album a bit too long ?
It was the beginning of the CD and the little extra space led to these sorts of single-and-a-half albums. So was it a good choice to add 2 more tracks? (just because they could?) Has it made Disintegration a better album ?

Disintegration by The Cure

1. Plainsong, 5:15
2. Pictures of You, 7:28
3. Closedown, 4:21
4. Lovesong, 3:30
5. Last Dance, 4:47
6. Lullaby, 4:12
7. Fascination Street, 5:16
8. Prayers for Rain, 6:07
9. The Same Deep Water as You, 9:22
10. Disintegration, 8:23
11. Homesick, 7:09
12. Untitled, 6:30

What version is Yann speaking of that ends with Disintegration? I can't find any version on discogs that closes with Disintegration. According to discogs and Wikipedia, the vinyl version (or at least every vinyl version I clicked on) closes with Untitled. However, the vinyl versions do not include Last Dance and Homesick. Thus the vinyl tracklist goes like this:

1. Plainsong
2. Pictures of You
3. Closedown
4. Lovesong
5. Lullaby
6. Fascination Street
7. Prayers for Rain
8. The Same Deep Water as You
9. Disintegration
10. Untitled

I must say, that's a pretty damn good tracklist. And whether it's CD or LP, Untitled rightfully closes the album. It's a great song, and works wonderfully as a closer. But yes I agree the CD version drags too long, and I think two songs can be cut. I can definitely live without Homesick, weakest track in my opinion. I like Last Dance though. I'd have a hard time picking another track to be cut.

But anyway, to answer Yann's question about which tracklist I prefer, I have to go with the vinyl version I listed above that ends with Untitled. I don't think adding two more songs made the album better, just unnecessarily longer.