Best Musicians of All Time (Rock/Jazz)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/19/2020 00:49
  • Post subject:
Carl21 wrote:
I think Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman might have a place somewhere in this list.

Thank you - has a pretty good shot Smile The last time I was updating this I wasnt totally decided on the qualitative cut-off point, and this one would probably be a tough call between falling slightly short or making it. This is also a helpful reminder to revisit Chapman.
  • Visit poster's website
Carl21

• Posted: 08/21/2020 09:48
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Thank you - has a pretty good shot Smile The last time I was updating this I wasnt totally decided on the qualitative cut-off point, and this one would probably be a tough call between falling slightly short or making it. This is also a helpful reminder to revisit Chapman.

I think it's her most consistent album! Of course she's not Joni Mitchell's level, but she has some quite impressive moments in this album esp Fast Car, Talking About A Revolution and Baby Can I Hold You, but after that album she lost her touch and kept dropping less impressive and sometimes mediocre songs. I just suggested this album when I saw Lorde and Mariah Carey in the bottom of the list, so I thought maybe it'll make it.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/22/2020 01:14
  • Post subject:
Carl21 wrote:
I think it's her most consistent album! Of course she's not Joni Mitchell's level, but she has some quite impressive moments in this album esp Fast Car, Talking About A Revolution and Baby Can I Hold You, but after that album she lost her touch and kept dropping less impressive and sometimes mediocre songs. I just suggested this album when I saw Lorde and Mariah Carey in the bottom of the list, so I thought maybe it'll make it.

I agree on the gist of her career trajectory. Its a good recommendation and within the ball park of those.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 08/30/2020 22:26
  • Post subject:
PS: Tim Buckley at the top FTW! His vocal composition on Lorca alone is, in and of itself, metaphysical..... well... actually that's an understatement! Ahhh!

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/31/2020 01:48
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian wrote:
PS: Tim Buckley at the top FTW! His vocal composition on Lorca alone is, in and of itself, metaphysical..... well... actually that's an understatement! Ahhh!

Thank you. Truly incredible indeed. Very few, if any, combine such extraordinary technical skill with such a personal, profound, deeply felt conveyance of emotion, meaning, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2020 02:02
  • Post subject:
I love the in-depth criteria. I typically get uncomfortable when somone says something like "AC/DC are the greatest band ever because the ROCK!" as if that's all that mattered. This is a very good thread, though. Me, I's just choose the band with the most 10/10 albums: Zeppelin, Floyd and Miles Davis.
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/31/2020 23:00
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
I love the in-depth criteria. I typically get uncomfortable when somone says something like "AC/DC are the greatest band ever because the ROCK!" as if that's all that mattered. This is a very good thread, though. Me, I's just choose the band with the most 10/10 albums: Zeppelin, Floyd and Miles Davis.

Thank you, I try to explain my reasoning as much as possible.

Even to those that say "because they ROCK!" or alike reasons, it always comes down to the fact they consider that a particularly unique or remarkable experience and highly resonant and expressive emotionally (if they really think its the best or among the best). In other words, it's always the same (fundamental) criteria (parallel to the fundamental common denominators of all art) even if some/many might not think to articulate it or break it down as such. They just think that AC/DC is the peak or don't care to find others and just stick with what they already know (etc). I would argue or have a strong hunch this would be due to a lack of exposure (and by exposure I also mean at least some assimilation) to other artists or arts, but maybe wouldnt necessarily have to be ... just extremely likely to be the case.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2020 23:06
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:

Even to those that say "because they ROCK!" or alike reasons, it always comes down to the fact they consider that a particularly unique or remarkable experience and highly resonant and expressive emotionally (if they really think its the best). In other words, it's always the same criteria (parallel to the fundamental common denominators of all art) even if some/many might not think to articulate it or break it down as such. They just think that AC/DC is the peak or don't care to find others and just stick with what they already know (etc). I would argue or have a strong hunch this would be due to a lack of exposure (and by exposure I also mean at least some assimilation) to other artists or arts, but maybe wouldnt necessarily have to be ... just extremely likely to be the case.

Being open to new areas of life is a philosophy I try to carry with me everywhere I go. I'm no saint or anything, but I hate the idea of being closed off to something and have at times even made the mistake of considering it a character flaw. Maybe it's because I grew a lot as a person the more I went away from my comfort zone throughout my life, but it's still helping me to see value in other things. It also helped me to acquire a taste for the weirder side of music, like Swans and Pixies. The best example would probably be the highest "weird" album on my chart, The Dreaming. I love that way more than Hounds of Love, so I'm in the minority on this one.
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/01/2020 05:23
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

Even to those that say "because they ROCK!" or alike reasons, it always comes down to the fact they consider that a particularly unique or remarkable experience and highly resonant and expressive emotionally (if they really think its the best). In other words, it's always the same criteria (parallel to the fundamental common denominators of all art) even if some/many might not think to articulate it or break it down as such. They just think that AC/DC is the peak or don't care to find others and just stick with what they already know (etc). I would argue or have a strong hunch this would be due to a lack of exposure (and by exposure I also mean at least some assimilation) to other artists or arts, but maybe wouldnt necessarily have to be ... just extremely likely to be the case.

Being open to new areas of life is a philosophy I try to carry with me everywhere I go. I'm no saint or anything, but I hate the idea of being closed off to something and have at times even made the mistake of considering it a character flaw. Maybe it's because I grew a lot as a person the more I went away from my comfort zone throughout my life, but it's still helping me to see value in other things. It also helped me to acquire a taste for the weirder side of music, like Swans and Pixies. The best example would probably be the highest "weird" album on my chart, The Dreaming. I love that way more than Hounds of Love, so I'm in the minority on this one.

Yeah, I agree. That's a worthwhile MO (basically what life really is, isn't it? Growing, experiencing, creativity, and so on...). With sound ethical judgment of course.
  • Visit poster's website
homelessking

• Posted: 08/31/2021 13:29
  • Post subject:
I wonder why you don't have John French on the drum ranking
  • Visit poster's website