Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week (2023)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 136, 137, 138  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/08/2020 14:47
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Interesting. Must not be on Aqua's level then Laughing

Haven't heard XXXTENTCION yet but would you rate it 5 or maybe less? When I last listened to it at least, Have a Marijuana (Scaruffi 8/10; Me 5/10) took the title.

I unironically like Aqua, Aquarius is probably at least 6.5 for me. The XXXTENTACION album would be 6- for me but I give out ratings in the range of 5.5 to 6- to stuff I wouldn't ever listen to in full again but that still has a few redeeming aspects.
I don't remember Have a Marijuana well enough to comment on that but yeah it's probably among the worst 8/10s.

I feel similarly about Aqua actually (probably 6-6.5). Its just common fodder for Scaruffi overrating something and I forgot we'd both discussed our unironic appreciation of its ridiculous melodies, satire and bubblegum/plasticized sound world years back on listology Smile
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/08/2020 16:39
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Interesting. Must not be on Aqua's level then Laughing

Haven't heard XXXTENTCION yet but would you rate it 5 or maybe less? When I last listened to it at least, Have a Marijuana (Scaruffi 8/10; Me 5/10) took the title.

I unironically like Aqua, Aquarius is probably at least 6.5 for me. The XXXTENTACION album would be 6- for me but I give out ratings in the range of 5.5 to 6- to stuff I wouldn't ever listen to in full again but that still has a few redeeming aspects.
I don't remember Have a Marijuana well enough to comment on that but yeah it's probably among the worst 8/10s.

Thanks for the warning of sorts. For now its probably one of the lower priority 7s but Ill check it out in the not too distant future and see what I think about it
  • Visit poster's website
Amirkhosro

Iran

• Posted: 03/10/2020 17:31
  • Post subject: IDM
Hey old friend. Happy to see you doing your thing.

I was wondering, do you dig Aphex Twin and Autechre? I'm beginning to think that in terms of artistic quality and influence, these guys are on par with, say, Miles Davis or The VU. in the case of Autechre, the sheer amount of unprecedented masterpieces that came from LP5 onward is insane. Aphex is more on the melodic side so his music might not be your cup of tea (except for SAW II) but I was surprised to see nothing by Autechre on your lists. Their later albums sit nicely with advanced psychedelic stuff like early Red Krayola, Krautrock, industrial and free jazz. They might be right up your alley.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/10/2020 21:21
  • Post subject: Re: IDM
Amirkhosro wrote:

I was wondering, do you dig Aphex Twin and Autechre? I'm beginning to think that in terms of artistic quality and influence, these guys are on par with, say, Miles Davis or The VU. in the case of Autechre, the sheer amount of unprecedented masterpieces that came from LP5 onward is insane. Aphex is more on the melodic side so his music might not be your cup of tea (except for SAW II) but I was surprised to see nothing by Autechre on your lists. Their later albums sit nicely with advanced psychedelic stuff like early Red Krayola, Krautrock, industrial and free jazz. They might be right up your alley.

Thanks, good to hear from you too!

I'm not a huge Aphex Twin fan but it's been quite a long time since I gave them a spin also so maybe that could change. They probably have a 7 or two that will end up on my Genre list(s). Autechre has at least two albums on my 7.3+ "Greatest Albums" list: Incunabula and Chiastic Slide (though apparently they're not actually on there which I'll fix. Must've not saved before listology crashed because they were definitely there for at least some time before that). Tri Repetae is a 7. Scaruffi gives two other 7s but I'm not sure if I've heard them and will double check when I revisit their stuff. Confield might be a 7+ too (I've never rated it but Scaruffi's 6.5 might be too low ... will decide when I revisit).

Regarding Aphex Twin being on the more melodic side "so might not be your cup of tea". Tons of the greatest melodic masterpieces I know of are featured across my Classical and Rock/Jazz lists so this is definitely not a deterrent and wouldn't be the reason I rate an album low (banal/trivial/superficial melodies on the other hand...).

Last edited by AfterHours on 03/10/2020 21:22; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 03/10/2020 21:22
Amirkhosro wrote:

Seconding this, especially Autechre (everything they made up till Untilted, particularly Confield which should be 8+ at least). Both volumes of Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works and Richard D James Album are solid 7's/7.5's too.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/10/2020 21:25
Facetious wrote:
Amirkhosro wrote:

Seconding this, especially Autechre (everything they made up till Untilted, particularly Confield which should be 8+ at least). Both volumes of Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works and Richard D James Album are solid 7's/7.5's too.

Thanks, looks like I landed my reply just before yours. In your facetious! Laughing

(okay, sorry, I can't help myself sometimes)
  • Visit poster's website
Amirkhosro

Iran

• Posted: 03/11/2020 09:40
AfterHours wrote:
Amirkhosro wrote:

Thanks, good to hear from you too!

I'm not a huge Aphex Twin fan but it's been quite a long time since I gave them a spin also so maybe that could change. They probably have a 7 or two that will end up on my Genre list(s). Autechre has at least two albums on my 7.3+ "Greatest Albums" list: Incunabula and Chiastic Slide (though apparently they're not actually on there which I'll fix. Must've not saved before listology crashed because they were definitely there for at least some time before that). Tri Repetae is a 7. Scaruffi gives two other 7s but I'm not sure if I've heard them and will double check when I revisit their stuff. Confield might be a 7+ too (I've never rated it but Scaruffi's 6.5 might be too low ... will decide when I revisit).

Regarding Aphex Twin being on the more melodic side "so might not be your cup of tea". Tons of the greatest melodic masterpieces I know of are featured across my Classical and Rock/Jazz lists so this is definitely not a deterrent and wouldn't be the reason I rate an album low (banal/trivial/superficial melodies on the other hand...).

Aphex Twin's unmistakable personality comes through his melodies and harmonies so there's no banal/superficial stuff. On his more recent work he uses his own custom tuning system so even the simplest motifs don't sound like anybody else. I think critics generally overrate him due to his huge historical importance and massive popularity, but it's more like how they overrate the VU. It doesn't really matter.
The widespread acclaim made his music sound underwhelming and I used to not care about his music at all until a few months ago. I'd say SAW II is an all-time masterpiece (9/10 on your scale) and maybe Drukqs too (I'm still absorbing this one). SAW 85-92 is a huge classic. RDJ, ICBYD, Come to Daddy and Syro are all essential (wouldn't be surprised if one or more popped up in my top 100).
All that said, I think maybe his best work might be the Windowlicker single. Nothing can sound as fresh or come near its level of emotion.

Autechre are head and shoulders above almost every other musician I can think of. Incunabula and Chiastic Slide are two of my favorite albums ever, but they pale in comparison to LP5, Confield and Untilted (3 of the top 100 albums of all time imo). If you want more and dig very long albums filled with avant-garde material, do check out their output after 2013. Exai (2 hours), Elseq 1-5 (4 hours), NTS-Sessions (8 hours) and specially AE_LIVE (28 hours!) to hear some of the most advanced music ever made. This stuff is so mind-blowing and unpredictable that many moments and sections sound downright uncanny. I'd say AE_LIVE has the deepest emotional impact and is the most immediately grabbing.
Of course you'd have to be already really really big into Autechre to crave their most recent stuff, so I just highly recommend LP5/Confield/Untilted for now.
  • Visit poster's website
fjooso

• Posted: 03/23/2020 07:56
  • Post subject:
Thank you - I'd heard some of her stuff before but neither of those albums. Checking out the EP now. Lorde looms over the proceedings indeed. Nice to hear a mainstream pop artist with some depth and creativity in her.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/31/2020 12:28
  • Post subject:

Link

Just wanted to take a moment to post this.

Dylan has a way of capturing himself conflated to humanity through a profound intellect and sincerity, whether directly upon its zeitgeist (A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall) or looking back in metaphoric parallel (Murder Most Foul), and so many stops in between.

Dylan's devastated meditation on the 60's is perhaps his most remarkable song since Time Out of Mind's Highlands.

The way his voice articulates each line in a quietly devastated stir of tired and sighing near-spoken word enunciation that barely passes across the phrase, colloquial and reminiscing while a gentle sparkle of piano, of rumbling, searching percussion and mourning violin/cello caresses against the words, coalescing into an almost free form poetic beauty, giving the sense of a man at the end of his life slowly walking away from a mist of memories that he's leaving behind. It is difficult not to hear it as a final lonely rumination, farewell and social commentary from a master that never passed the torch and never had to, a torch he didn't seem to care about and didn't really want anyway; aware of the myth that was himself, a contradiction that he abandoned as soon as it got too close to who he was.
  • Visit poster's website
DelBocaVista

• Posted: 04/01/2020 17:23
  • Post subject:
Wowie wow wow.

First take: the whole thing is reminiscent of Ivor Cutler's part in "Little Red Robin Hood Hit the Road"
  • Visit poster's website