Adding albums to my collection

View previous topic :: View next topic
dick-dock

• Posted: 01/22/2020 20:02
  • Post subject: Adding albums to my collection
Hi!

Is there an easy way to do this? E.g. can I upload a csv file? Can't imagine doing it manually
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/22/2020 22:16
  • Post subject:
CSV uploads are not something that's available right now, but I'll add to list for a future update (not sure how matching would work between your local list and the database here, so that's something for BEA to think about).
  • Visit poster's website
Moved: 01/22/2020 22:17 by albummaster
From New Members to Suggestions
ydawg

• Posted: 01/24/2020 11:30
  • Post subject: Adding albums from discogs export
I'd like to plus one this. In particular, I'd like to be able to upload a csv of my collection from discogs and see have those albums added to my BAE collection.

Looking at the export from my collection on discogs and the export from my collection in BEA, it looks like you could map the Title and Artist fields from each.
From the BEA side, I assume you would want to keep your own AlbumID and Year. Discogs does have a "Released" field, but that is for the year of the specific version which, in many cases, will be a re-release or re-pressing.

I imagine there would be a (small) number of cases where you might have multiple matches for "Title" and "Artist" combinations.
E.g. a quick search on Discogs finds 9 bands named "The Killers". It's conceivable that two or more of them might put out a self-titled album that then makes it onto some Best Album List. In these cases, and in other cases where there isn't a clear one to one matching, you could not add these to the user's collection and list them out for the user to manually check for themselves.

The same would be true where you and the other source (e.g. Discogs) have a different title or name. For example, where Discogs has multiple artists with the same name they differentiate them with numbers -> James Taylor (2)

And, of course, within anyone's collection there may be albums that aren't in your database at all. This would also be interesting information, but I would not expect these albums to be added to my BEA collection. It would be nice for them to be listed out though.

Sample output might be.

Code:
We looked at your list of 300 albums.

We found 291 matches within the BAE database and these have been added to your collection. These albums are:
Revolver by The Beatles
Hunky Dory by David Bowie
Grace by Jeff Buckley
Blue by Joni Mitchell

We were unable to match 9 of your albums to those in the BAE database. You may want to manually search for these:
The Killers by The Killers
Marlene Dietrich Singt Berlin Berlin by Marlene Dietrich
The Short But Brilliant Life of Jimmie Rodgers by Jimmie Rodgers
Homecoming by America (2)
Band on the Run by Wings (2)
One Fine Morning by Lighthouse (2)
Gorilla by James Taylor (2)
Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon by James Taylor (2)
Sweet Baby James by James Taylor (2)
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/25/2020 11:05
  • Post subject: Re: Adding albums from discogs export
ydawg wrote:
I'd like to plus one this. In particular, I'd like to be able to upload a csv of my collection from discogs and see have those albums added to my BAE collection.

Looking at the export from my collection on discogs and the export from my collection in BEA, it looks like you could map the Title and Artist fields from each.
From the BEA side, I assume you would want to keep your own AlbumID and Year. Discogs does have a "Released" field, but that is for the year of the specific version which, in many cases, will be a re-release or re-pressing.

Hi, yes that would probably work as long as uploads were in a standard format so that BEA knows which column to use for the title and artist etc. I'll add to the list for a future site update. (I like the idea of showing the output as well for those unmatched items - Discogs' database is vastly bigger than this one).
  • Visit poster's website