Album of the day (#3330): E•MO•TION by Carly Rae Jepsen

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin
  • Posted: 01/28/2020 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#3330): E•MO•TION by Carly Rae Jepsen
Today's album of the day

E•MO•TION by Carly Rae Jepsen (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2015.
Overall rank: 610
Average rating: 77/100 (from 286 votes).

Tracks:
1. Run Away With Me
2. E•MO•TION
3. I Really Like You
4. Gimmie Love
5. All That
6. Boy Problems
7. Making The Most Of The Night
8. Your Type
9. Let's Get Lost
10. LA Hallucinations
11. Warm Blood
12. When I Needed You

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States
  • Posted: 01/29/2020 01:11
  • Post subject:
Definitely one of the best ever albums! I'm loving the meteoric rise and looking forward to it breaking into the top 500. It also needs a third medalist track.
LordMark

Canada
  • Posted: 01/29/2020 02:07
  • Post subject:
I must admit that I don't really understand why this album gets so much love from indie fans. It sounds like a pop album to me, and the lyrics mostly seem to be about boys. Nevertheless, it's still a good album, and unlike most other BEA users, I actually love "I Really Like You". It's too bad that the general public just dismissed her as a one-hit wonder after "Call Me Maybe" and didn't even give this far superior album a chance.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States
  • Posted: 01/29/2020 02:21
  • Post subject:
LordMark wrote:
I must admit that I don't really understand why this album gets so much love from indie fans. It sounds like a pop album to me, and the lyrics mostly seem to be about boys. Nevertheless, it's still a good album, and unlike most other BEA users, I actually love "I Really Like You". It's too bad that the general public just dismissed her as a one-hit wonder after "Call Me Maybe" and didn't even give this far superior album a chance.

Well, speaking for myself, I am a pop fan as well as an indie fan. But that's a good question. Perhaps people who don't normally like pop much gave it a try because it was critically acclaimed and wasn't commercially successful. It has become a cult classic, which is a solid way to gain indie cred. It's also one of the best pop albums ever made, so that helps.

I Really Like You is one of my favorite songs on the album.

Also, Kiss is an underrated album with a bunch of great tracks. The 50/100 it has here is ridiculous. And Tiny Little Bows has the lowest track rating, when it's actually the best track... Brick wall
lylecatcliffe

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 01/29/2020 02:42
  • Post subject:
Amazing pop album. Soundtracked the best year of my life ... 2015. The "B Sides" collection is great as well. Will give this a listen today.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States
  • Posted: 01/29/2020 02:44
  • Post subject:
I need to give this another listen. I think the first time I listened, I didn't feel anything special, but in the time since, I've really enjoyed everything I've ever listened to by CRJ. Time for some homework!
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States
  • Posted: 01/29/2020 03:48
  • Post subject:
LordMark wrote:

One of the big reasons I love this album is that, unlike a lot of pop albums (and I know I'm overgeneralizing and that this is a cliche) this is all killer no filler. This isn't an album with 3-5 hits and a bunch of so-so songs - it's an album with 12 potential hits. Even the B sides album has 8 songs that could have been added to this without lowering the quality. I think this attracted a lot of indie fans who listen to albums all the way through and get annoyed by that kind of thing (guilty). There are uneven pop albums that I like but not nearly as much as this one.

Also, yes, the lyrics are about boys, but that's really selling them short. "Let's Get Lost" is about hoping your lover drives the long way home so you get to spend more time with them. "When I Needed You" is about wishing you were a better fit for your lover but then realizing that they don't deserve it and you can be happy how you are. "I Really Like You" is about trying and failing to suppress your emotions after you fall head over heels for someone new. These aren't just simple love songs, they have a lot to say. And they feel like themes that anyone, pop star or not, could have written about.
1d410Arthur
  • Posted: 02/02/2020 00:33
  • Post subject:
Kiss was better
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States
  • Posted: 02/02/2020 02:52
  • Post subject:
Very good album. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's one of the absolute best of the 2010s, but I've come back to it quite a bit.

Track picks
1. Run Away With Me
2. E•MO•TION
4. Gimmie Love
9. Let's Get Lost