Best Rock Albums: Genre Lists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/03/2020 17:54
  • Post subject:
To anyone interested:

As you can see I have moved all my genre lists to a single thread.

I have set aside the entire first thread page for those lists (ten posts) so 5 still remain empty but plan to be filled in the future.

Some of the entries (such as a few on the hip hop/r and b etc list) are founded in Jazz music. I am still considering whether to keep these -- they are (consciously, arguably) borderline selections where these musics tend to merge more or less equally... Either way I will eventually make a set of Jazz-centric genre lists too (and eventually probably Classical too) ... Jazz centric selections that also make it onto the current "Rock" ones would probably end up being represented on both, (or maybe Ill change my mind). I do kind of like the idea of someone being able to hear the "soul" or "funk" (or what have you) in certain jazz albums where this is most prominent, to assist their familiarity with it...

Anyway, soon I will be requesting Albummaster removes the prior genre threads (that were just one genre list per) from BEA. I will also be requesting Albummaster transfers all their replies/comments over to this one if it is not too inconvenient for him.

However I cant guarantee he can or will want to do so. So if you would like, now would be the time to copy and paste any of them over to here should you want them to be saved.

If not, you are also always welcome to simply re-state and re-post any recommendations youve given me on these genres before if you dont think or arent sure Ive followed through on them yet.

Note that I think I remember posting some notes of analysis for certain albums on one or more of the genre lists and I will most likely copy and paste these to my criteria reviews/analysis page where they will act as temporary points of analysis for their respective album until I write something more complete/more "official".
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2020 22:45
  • Post subject:
I'm curious if you would put out an electronic list.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/04/2020 00:06
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
I'm curious if you would put out an electronic list.

Yes - electronic for sure. All genres will be included sooner or later. By that I dont mean every single sub-sub genre but enough that will account for all 7+ inclusions so far.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2020 00:08
  • Post subject:
Good to know. And yeah, don't go crazy about every sub genre.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/04/2020 05:15
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Good to know. And yeah, don't go crazy about every sub genre.

Thank you - starting to put the Electronic (plus Ambient/New Age/World Music) list together now (on the post under the Pop one for the time being)
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/14/2020 17:49
  • Post subject:
Genre Lists for... Best Electronic/Ambient/New Age/World Music Albums ... Best Punk/Noise/Industrial Albums ... and Best Psychedelic/Art Rock Albums ...are all underway and posted on the 1st page while in progress and being organized (still pretty incomplete, especially havent updated the 7/10 sections).

Also New Wave has been added as an additional genre/subgenre to the Pop list.

Recommendations welcome

Note: New Wave that is also a form of Punk as a primary genre (Punk, Post Punk, Art Punk and so on...) remains on the Punk list as well.
  • Visit poster's website
DelBocaVista

• Posted: 02/24/2020 19:52
  • Post subject:
Hey you might have neglected to jot down "Happy Trails" by Quicksilver Messenger Service
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/24/2020 22:01
  • Post subject:
DelBocaVista wrote:
Hey you might have neglected to jot down "Happy Trails" by Quicksilver Messenger Service

Thanks for the heads up -- not 100% sure I would've remembered that so any recs like this always help even if you think I probably already am thinking with it (that is to anyone reading this). But yes, that's one of hundreds of 7s still to be added (I do need to revisit it to ensure the rating still holds). Each genre list is being added to piece by piece mainly because I have had so little time to update these (5 min here, 5 min there...). I am only partially done with the 7s across all of them; again, probably hundreds on the way which will, consequently, pretty much be its own viewable 7/10s list (even if in parts, by genres) ...which has been requested many times over the years but I've never quite had or wanted to use the time/endurance etc to put it all together, revisit so many of them, and so forth -- so hopefully I can see it through! It's been a joy to check so many of them out (many of which I haven't listened to in several years and some that are new to me). There are also lots of 7.5s coming too, that have never been added, have needed revisits, was unsure of rating, etc. Including a decent helping of new 7s/7.5s and probably some 8s along the way.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/20/2020 02:45
  • Post subject:
To anyone interested...

I have begun compiling a list called "Most Acclaimed Albums - Superior & Additional Alternatives".

I am simply using Acclaimedmusic.net's All Time Top 3000 list starting from the top (#1 is Pet Sounds). Then below each entry Ive chosen:

--Superior Alternatives
--Additional Alternatives

Superior Alternatives: selections must be higher rated (per my ratings) than the Acclaimedmusic.net entry. In the case of each being the same rating, it would just be required that I would rank the "superior" selection above the Acclaimedmusic.net one.

Additional Alternatives: any other selections rated/ranked below the Acclaimedmusic.net entry's rating/ranking but must still be at least 6.8 or above.

Below those you will usually see a list of "Notes/Reminders/TBD". This is just a list of undecideds or notes about undecideds, or albums to revisit and see if they are similar enough ... or even artists/albums that might be reminding me of some miscellaneous correlation to remember or consider. So dont pay too close attention to these lists right now as they mean much more to me than they will to you.

For the "Superior" and "Additional" listings the general qualification is that the album should have a fairly strong correlation with the album expressively. Doesnt have to be exact same genre but will usually be the same or a close relative in its genre family tree. I have not decided how defined or strict I want to make this yet but the selections Ive already made for any album(s) youre familiar with should give you a good estimate of what Im thinking with. But I am still working this out as I go. The more I do, the more a "median" should develop and help me better define the parameters.

A good estimate on how far I am thikning with going between "very close correlation" (think The Doors debut vs Strange Days) versus "maximum discrepancy while still maintaining enough similarities/correlation to qualify" might be one like Sgt Pepper vs Piper at the Gates of Dawn. So that should give you an idea. Again, subject to change, as a "median" amongst all the entries develops...

Anyway, this list can be seen on the first page of this thread below all the genre lists (it is the last post first page). It is in very rough draft form at the moment, so excuse the messiness, but you are more than welcome to discuss, give recommendations, help compile it, etc, as I put it together more and polish it up.

Feel free to recommend even for Acclaimedmusic.net entries that Ive already posted my "Superior" and "Additional" selections on. Most of these are still very incomplete. You are also welcome to give recommendations/discuss entries ahead of where I am. Just stay in the top 100 for the time being because I havent decided if I will list beyond that yet. I am considering 300, 500 maybe 1000 as well because Ive heard most of those and it would amount to a pretty huge library of recommendations and could also be used as an excellent gateway from the most popular and acclaimed works to often more adventurous fare. But for now please stay within 100.

Also feel free to recommend me even obvious albums or ones that Ive already alluded to in the "TBD" section. All recommendations help (unless theyre already listed in the "Superior" or "Additional" categories). Even those recommendations I disagree with will often cause me to think of some aspect of the album or reason behind my selections that I wasnt befors. So any recommendations and discussion (etc) are welcome. With so much to remember it will speed the process up considerably!

As a note, it may or may not be staying on this thread but for now (perhaps permanently?) this seems like a good location for it.

Another note: I am quite far from finishing most of my genre lists as well, so you are more than welcome to still recommend for those also!
  • Visit poster's website
fjooso

• Posted: 03/23/2020 07:55
  • Post subject:
Reserved for Genre list
  • Visit poster's website