Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2020 14:42
  • Post subject: A serious discussion about books and such
It was Tolstoy who said what?

Lockdown = reading time. I'm trying to be more of a bookworm, so this could be a good way to pass the time and chat with people about what we're reading. For example, I just found the Jenner translation of Journey to the West and I am fucking hyped. Jenner wrote an incredible translation of Wu Cheng-En's amazing world-building and visual technique. And Cheng-En goes right into the lore and history in a snap. 99 more chapters to go.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/14/2020 15:40
  • Post subject:
I enjoyed Monkey, the translation by Arthur Waley after being fascinated by the badly dubbed '80s TV series. Didn't know there was an unabridged translation, I'll definitely check it out..
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2020 15:47
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
I enjoyed Monkey, the translation by Arthur Waley after being fascinated by the badly dubbed '80s TV series. Didn't know there was an unabridged translation, I'll definitely check it out..

It's the full 1400 pages. A long book makes for a great book sometimes, like it did with War and Peace.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/14/2020 17:34
  • Post subject:
Normally got three or four books on the go (mix of fiction/non-fiction). Not read War & Peace yet, but maybe this lock down is an opportunity...
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/14/2020 19:39
  • Post subject:
I get through 5/6 novels a month I guess, give or take, recently finished include The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, A Visit From The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan, A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers and The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson, a few others but those are the ones I most recommend, a variety of styles and genres in there, all recommended, got a few other things on the go also, Christmas gifts I'm just finishing up, books on planetary geology, Asian empirical history and cartographic history, got a decent WWII history book lined up for afterwards (one focusing on all theaters and campaigns on the conflict), beyond that, I read a decent chunk of comics/manga, currently reading The Authority and a bunch of Marvel stuff, just finished up the last volume of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

Generally I'm stubborn when it comes to things so if I start it, I'll finish it out of principle even if I hate it, this particularly goes for books (the works of William S. Burroughs and the second Mamma Mia! film spring to mind). Favourite writers? Not even sure to be honest, I generally avoid a lot of the classics as a lot of the ones I have read have just not aged well for me personally, I do enjoy a bit of Dickens and Joyce however, like the bulk of what I've read by Hemingway, McCarthy, Keroauc and Orwell, to pull some names randomly, but there are tonnes and tonnes of good writers out there these days, it's wonderful.

So yeah, books are good I guess.

• Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2020 20:09
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Normally got three or four books on the go (mix of fiction/non-fiction). Not read War & Peace yet, but maybe this lock down is an opportunity...

What I love about it is that it's got so many developed characters in a 13-year time that this 1000 page novel is so to-the-point about nearly everything.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/14/2020 20:21
  • Post subject:
Re-read Timbuktu by Paul Auster and Miles' autobiography, and currently re-reading The Savage Detectives by Bolano and Wiley's autobiography (which is bad and should never have been released).
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/14/2020 20:39
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
re-reading The Savage Detectives by Bolano

Rappers can only wish of namedropping as many Latin American poets, for they would run out of studio time.

Working my way through the works of Robert Creeley right now. Enjoying most of it quite a bit.
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner
soft silly music is meaningful magical

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2020 23:51
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
just finished up the last volume of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

How was it? I'm a big fan of the movie, and this is near the top of my to-read list. Should I bump it up or down the queue?
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2020 07:39
  • Post subject:

Here's the book flap attention-getter.

Hig somehow survived the flu pandemic that killed everyone he knows. Now his wife is gone, his friends are dead, and he lives in the hangar of a small abandoned airport with his dog, Jasper, and a mercurial, gun-toting misanthrope named Bangley.

But when a random transmission beams through the radio of his 1956 Cessna, the voice ignites a hope deep inside him that a better life exists outside their tightly controlled perimeter. Risking everything, he flies past his point of no return and follows its static-broken trail, only to find something that is both better and worse than anything he could ever hope for.

I bought this in the beginning of January, and it sat around for a bit, and then all the shit hit the fan, so I started to give it a read. Haven't read too much of it yet, but it's been OK so far.

Right now I'm teaching:

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

and

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

I'm sure most had to read LOTF in high school; you may have liked it or hated, maybe both, but has anybody read another one of his novels called Free Fall? It's kind of strange, overlong, meandering, and difficult, but it was also pretty thought-provoking.
  • Visit poster's website