Philosophy thoughts - In Off Topic

View previous topic :: View next topic
Mythtall

• Posted: 04/26/2020 10:39
  • Post subject: Philosophy thoughts - In Off Topic
Hi albumaster

Hope you are doing well. Lockdown is not doing well for me. My birthday is in late May and to think things may get extended over it and the boring existence I am living is not having a good effect

Anyway enough about me... I was thinking adding a 'Philosophy' section to the 'Off topic' part of the forum. The reasons for it are we have brilliant minds on this website and I do not think the 'Lounge' covers it to the full extent. 'Politics & Religion' definitely doesn't and I should add a capital D to it as the majority of the people on this website are from the USA who are not known to sit on the fence on subjects. I understand some will be more resonable and I respect that. Still... lumping it in with Politics and Relgiion will not work

For this part of the forum ofcourse all the rules of BEA will still apply. However when hearing Philosophy some will immediately go to Descartes, Kerkegaard, Kant etc and they have the right to do so. However to use a very silly example... if someone want to ask why a french is smaller than a chip at the local chippy they should be respected becuase we are a forum of common interest... music. Either way like the forum rules suggests., if you are not breaking them users deserve no abuse.

So what I am asking is a part of the forum for questions. I understand it can go bad like that 'Controversial opions....' thread which became a shit show to use langueage neither you or I will use at a dinner party of sipping wine and spitting it out right back in a glass in a so called 'tasting assession'.

I look forward to your response albumaster
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/26/2020 13:54
  • Post subject:
Sign me up.
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/26/2020 16:36
  • Post subject: Re: Philosophy thoughts - In Off Topic
Mythtall wrote:
'Politics & Religion' definitely doesn't and I should add a capital D to it as the majority of the people on this website are from the USA who are not known to sit on the fence on subjects. I understand some will be more resonable and I respect that.

Wow, national origin stereotype much? Laughing

In any case, fence-sitting has a negative connotation, so not being fence-sitters is a compliment. Smile
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/26/2020 16:38
  • Post subject:
Anyway, why not start some philosophy threads in the lounge and see how it goes? If they're very active that could make the case for a separate sub-forum.
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2020 00:28
  • Post subject:
Starting a subforum before there are several threads with a fair amount of discussion in them is kind of putting the cart before the horse. The Lounge subforum is basically a catch-all for any topic that doesn't fall into the other subforum categories.

I've only been a member for a couple of years, but the political and religious discussions have almost always been fairly civil in that time.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/27/2020 09:04
  • Post subject:
Hi Mythtall, happy birthday for late May (my other half has a birthday next week so totally understand the frustration - also buying gifts is a nightmare especially when you leave it to the last second and all the shops are shut!).

Agree with others that adding a forum for each possible subject of conversation is not sustainable and we have to group things together to keep each forum busy enough to justify keeping them open (it's also quite confusing for some people scanning a long list and working out where to post something). The Lounge is currently the catch-all for everything that doesn't fit into other categories and there's nothing stopping anyone discussing more serious topics there. P&R was moved to a separate area as there were problems in the past with some users dominating the Lounge with political threads which drowned out everything else. I'm not sure this would be the case with more philosophical discussion, but if the discussion became more political, there would be no harm in moving it to the politics forum.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2020 21:01
  • Post subject:
Looking forward to some philosophy discussion!
  • Visit poster's website