Star Trek

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2020 16:46
  • Post subject: Star Trek
I'm blowing through the original series right now. It can't help but succumb to some level of 60's cheese, but the interesting psychoanalysis of some of these episodes, notably the one where Kirk as split into two halves, usually saves them from succumbing to cheese at a fuller extent and actually makes a cartoon-episode plotline far more interesting. The Next Generation is still better, though.

If this doesn't get conversation going I'm hiring necromancer.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 05/25/2020 16:56
  • Post subject:
ST09 SPOILERS

Did anyone else find it hokey that Nero accidentally travelled back in time to the SAME DAY that Kirk was born? That movie was loaded with fanfiction coincidences.
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/27/2020 01:18
  • Post subject: Re: Star Trek
Spyglass wrote:
I'm blowing through the original series right now. It can't help but succumb to some level of 60's cheese, but the interesting psychoanalysis of some of these episodes, notably the one where Kirk as split into two halves, usually saves them from succumbing to cheese at a fuller extent and actually makes a cartoon-episode plotline far more interesting. The Next Generation is still better, though.

Haven't watched the original series (except one episode) in a very long time. What makes TOS pretty great is that there are both top-notch episodes like City On the Edge of Forever and Space Seed (some of the good ones have elements that seem a little cheesy now because of the age and the low budgets) and some hilariously campy ones like This Side of Paradise, where Spock gets high on 'shrooms (yeah, yeah, right -- "spores"), and sometimes the good and the cheesy co-exist in the same episode. Definitely some that are just outright bad -- anything involving Greek gods or Romans is really bad.

Overall, Next Generation's better, though season 1 and 2 are mostly pretty weak (think 2 improves toward the end?). Series has too many holodeck episodes -- they really leaned on that conceit way too much.

Quote:
If this doesn't get conversation going I'm hiring necromancer.

Can't really judge a music site based on a TV thread, even if a show has a lot of fanboys.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 05/27/2020 04:48
  • Post subject:
Don't be too quick to insult mythology. Clash of the Titans is a classic. Though I agree it shouldn't be in Star Trek.
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/27/2020 10:49
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
Don't be too quick to insult mythology. Clash of the Titans is a classic. Though I agree it shouldn't be in Star Trek.

No, just meant gods and Romans on Star Trek: TOS. Not hating on Spartacus or Gladiator! (Never saw Clash of the Titans.)
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 05/27/2020 14:02
  • Post subject:
Speaking of Picard, I'm of the opinion that First Contact is the best Star Trek movie. It has more plotting than Wrath of Khan and we get an incredible psychoanalysis from Data and some of Picard's finest moments. I grew up with the first five Star Trek shows and I have to say that the TNG projects always entertained me the most.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2020 04:52
  • Post subject:
I'm going to post little reviews of the TNG episodes I'm watchinhlg.

1-1: Encounter at Farpoint.

I've always loved this episode. It sets up the proper basics for the characters while introducing an intriguing, unpredictable and powerful villain whose intentions are far more personal and interesting than destroying the Earth. The "mystery" of Farpoint wasn't as plot-heavy as it should have been, but the Troi moments helped it succeed. In addition, the personal connections that are built up from the get-go and the technological explanation behind the newly introduced holodeck help build the future setting.

1-2: The Naked Now

This episode gets a lot of slack from TOG fans for several reasons: it's a remakr of a TNG episode, it doesn't make as much sense, and we already know how it will end. BUT! I repeat l: BUT! Putting multiple reasons together will make something feel much more weak than it actually is. This episode's contemprary reviews are way more positive, so I think it's alright to give this a fair shot. I never saw what was so bad about it.

The episode had its good moments with some personal touches, like Geordi's desire for real sight, Wesley's childhood dreams, more interaction concerning Picard's past with Dr. Crusher's family, etc. But, for Data to contract the intoxication added nothing to the episode, except the possibility a fanboy would like to find logic behind it in a manner such as "it wasn't technically a disease, and it DID mutate. It's Star Trek, so it could have easily affected Data." But I enjoyed the personal touches and the humor aspect.

1-3: Code of Honor

People accuse this episode of racism. "All black people are lying kidnappers" is NOT the vibe I got from this. I saw another culture conflicting with the Prime Directive, with the only difference between this episode and TOG episodes being that the culture is heavily influenced by Arabic culture. And sexism? Really? The bad guy was the one who saw women as objects to own while Picard showed real concern for both women involved in the episode's main plot.

As for the actual episode's writing, it could fit in any other tv show and feel the same. Tasha had some decent moments, but there was nothing to make this episode stand out at all.

Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 05/29/2020 04:07
  • Post subject:
1-4: The Last Outpost

The Ferengi are completely unconvincing in their intro episode. They play out like one-shot evil elves from a PBS puppet show, and they move like the cronies in Power Rangers. And apparently, capitalism has evolved in 300 years from an economic practice centered around money-making to a violent religion which gets anyone good killed. I read a very informative review on how basic logic can put any sense of realism regarding the Ferengi in this episode to utter shame. A close-minded people can't advance, even in technology, so the Ferengi couldn't outmatch the Federation in technology. Makes sense to me.

And if this Portal dude knew so many things about Riker, why didn't ge believe anyone when the crew told him that his empire had fallen? Was it a charade for the test? Portal wasn't consistent at all. And the threat of the ship running out of power didn't have any grip. This was by far the cheesiest episodes of the series. The special effects and sets for the alien planet were great, though.

1-5: Where No One Has Gone Before

Now THIS is what a Star Trek episode should feel like! The sci-fi world takes an almost spiritual turn, and the special effects build the story as effectively as they should. The Traveler is a wonderful character that I want to see more often. Wesley's character is blooming into something that could create so many new plotlines for the whole series. The episode takes a similar approach to the film Solaris but with a greater surrealist method, and I always welcome that (I love The Mirror and Solaris). This was by far one of the most interesting Star Trek stories I've seen and I've spent my whole life with Star Trek, literally. I watched this when I was a newborn.

Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2020 01:41
  • Post subject:
Stardate 3. Not really trying.

1-6: Lonely Among Us

I appreciate a good psychoanalysis and a freaky Star Trek plot, but the former was not utilized at all. Although the freakiness saved the episode from poor quality, it was slow. And the war with the delegates on the ship was simply filler.

1-7: Justice

Another almost human culture in a space opera? Due to greater risk and a sense of mystery, it managed to be more entertaining than the similar episode, Code of Honor. Heh, the two titles even go hand in hand. The personalities of these people are almost cultish, which is both slighlty annoying and proper. The moments with the crazy-powerful ship were fairly well delivered, too.

1-8: The Battle

This was one of the more interesting stories so far because of its use of backstory exploiting Picards emotions. Picard's performance was wonderful and the Ferengi were improved on. The slight psychoanalysis throughout the episode gave it that Star Trek edge.

1-9: Hide and "Q"

Q's a fascinating character with an agenda that boasts eccentricity that helps the story more often than it hinders the story. While the story wasn't superbly written the Riker moments were nearly amazing and the episode felt so real once the story centered around him.

1-10: Haven

It's a familiar tale of arranged karriage that stands out for its surprise twist which occasionally becomes mystifying. Troi's mother is an engaging character due to her bluntness and eccentricity, but Marina Sirtis comes alive in this. Instead of the responsible one on the bridge, she became the child, and a damn convincing example of one in such a situation. And to add to all of this, Data's humor was improving.

Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2020 03:02
  • Post subject:
1-10: The Big Goodbye.

I don't think the alien subplot added as much to the plot as it should have, but there's something magical about the holodeck and how it operates. I love seeing it in action. Data's humor has skyrocketed to actual comedy and his acting was surprisingly clever.

1-11: Datalore

Seeing Data's brother for the first time brought some real story to TNG that I want expanded on more as I go through the show. Brent Spiner's beginning to get into the Data character and he does so while also playing an emotional counterpart. This reminds me of the emotional difference between Spock and Sydok from Star Trek 5 but much more fun.

1-12: Angel One

Another human culture? This time, it's entirely led by women! I'm not sure what Roddenberry was trying to do with the first season, but the political story didn't grab me. It had its moments, was finely acted, had great dialogue and still raised some philosophical questions, but not enough. The virus subplot didn't add anything until the last fifteen minutes.

1-13: 11001001

Other than the name of the species, the Bynar were delivered almost perfectly. I loved watching them in action, and I loved seeing the temporary improvements of the holodeck. The tension between Riker and the hologram Minuet challenged the reality of romance with an original romantic subplot that raised a lot of debate on several psychological and romantic topics. This is one of my favorite episodes of season 1.