The people on this site...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
NMHohyeah

• Posted: 01/10/2013 03:58
  • Post subject: The people on this site...
I just joined this website and the people on here seem to put down a lot of people's music taste. Everyone has a unique music taste yet people seem to think there's is the only correct one.

I guess what I'm saying is why all the hate? Or am I wrong?

EDIT: I guess I'm wrong because everyone here seems to be open to new stuff.

Last edited by NMHohyeah on 01/10/2013 04:53; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:00
  • Post subject:
You're wrong.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:02
  • Post subject:
I'm one of those people that have had my musical taste spoken of negatively. I soon realized it was because I was speaking as if my taste was the correct one, myself. I find people here to be extremely open-minded about music and their only problem seems to be with people who themselves take issue with certain music without actually having any good reasoning.

And you can't possibly be talking about your own music having been criticized. Your chart looks like it was made exactly FOR this site. Did you just go through the overall chart and pick albums out that way?
  • Visit poster's website
NMHohyeah

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:04
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
I'm one of those people that have had my musical taste spoken of negatively. I soon realized it was because I was speaking as if my taste was the correct one, myself. I find people here to be extremely open-minded about music and their only problem seems to be with people who themselves take issue with certain music without actually having any good reasoning.

Well said, you are probably right
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:05
  • Post subject: Re: The people on this site...
NMHohyeah wrote:
I just joined this website and the people on here seem to put down a lot of people's music taste. Everyone has a unique music taste yet people seem to think there's is the only correct one.

I guess what I'm saying is why all the hate? Or am I wrong?

You're right. I look down (for want of a better term) on certain music. Because I think it's shit. Similarly, others look down on the music I listen to. Eventually you figure who's into what and you just deal with it. If you piss a few people off, so be it. This site is for discussing music and sharing your opinions on it. Everyone's opinion differ (thankfully), and so there are bound to be arguments. Luckily it never gets too out of hand, and everyone is pretty sound. I don't know of anyone who thinks their taste is "the only correct one" though. Mine is the best though.
NMHohyeah

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:07
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:

And you can't possibly be talking about your own music having been criticized. Your chart looks like it was made exactly FOR this site. Did you just go through the overall chart and pick albums out that way?

No I didn't pick from the overall chart haha, but the reason I was first attracted to this site was that my taste was very similar.
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:10
  • Post subject:
People will usually be really nice around here as long as you:

1) Speak in terms of your opinion and not in absolute terms.
2) Have your opinion be well structured and have a correct basis on facts. Even if it's your opinion, it must be backed by SOME facts.
3) NOT be closed minded and shun new stuff without giving it a chance.

If you say either "The Beatles are the best band ever objectively" or "IMO, The Beatles are great because they invented free jazz" or "All rap sucks, it's all about hos and money" or something along those lines, you're gonna get bitten.

Other than that, though, people here are REALLY open minded and cool.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:26
  • Post subject:
I only piss on people that limit their musical spectrum. On BEA, I want to expand my musical taste, and to do that I require users that have a voracious musical appetite. If you're not always changing, you're boring to me.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:30
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
I only piss on people that limit their musical spectrum. On BEA, I want to expand my musical taste, and to do that I require users that have a voracious musical appetite. If you're not always changing, you're boring to me.

But what if you find some music that you're extremely passionate about? Why do we have to listen to EVERYTHING? There is plenty of music within any given genre to keep you busy and dedicated to it for long long long periods of time. Why always be on the move? I can respect other forms of music and dabble in them, but I don't think it's bad to have a focus on a specific style of music.
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 01/10/2013 04:46
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
But what if you find some music that you're extremely passionate about? Why do we have to listen to EVERYTHING? There is plenty of music within any given genre to keep you busy and dedicated to it for long long long periods of time. Why always be on the move? I can respect other forms of music and dabble in them, but I don't think it's bad to have a focus on a specific style of music.

Sure, it's not bad to listen to what you like. I love prog-rock and I'm not gonna stop listening to it in a long while. That doesn't stop me from constantly trying out new things - this last year alone I've delved deeper into hip-hop, ambient, and post-rock.

The idea is not to replace your love for hard rock, but to expand that love to more stuff. You don't have to like everything, but if you don't try new stuff you may never find stuff you might like even more than hard rock.

Now, if you've already heard every genre there is and you only liked hard rock, then screw what I said and keep going. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website