A release year change notification thread?

View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2020 19:28
  • Post subject: A release year change notification thread?
I think this would be a good idea for a sticky, letting people know when a year has been changed so people may want to edit their charts.

We Insist! by Max Roach has been changed from 1960 to 1961 because Discogs and Rateyourmusic have no releases from that year. The only source providing a 1960 release date is... Wikipedia.
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2020 20:27
  • Post subject: Re: A release year change notification thread?
Spyglass wrote:
I think this would be a good idea for a sticky, letting people know when a year has been changed so people may want to edit their charts.

We Insist! by Max Roach has been changed from 1960 to 1961 because Discogs and Rateyourmusic have no releases from that year. The only source providing a 1960 release date is... Wikipedia.

Well that reflects a change to Discogs, which had it as 1960 previously. Thanks for the heads-up.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/10/2020 08:09
I think some kind of notification is not a bad idea, also albums recently flagged as 'suspect' that aren't future releases (suggested before). As always, bottleneck is my time as cannot financially afford to work on site full time. Possibly the best place for this would be people's chart pages, or a new area on the home page for albums that are in your lists (there's quite a few people that don't use the forums). Agree with baystateoftheart, looks like Discogs made a change to the Max Roach album as was previously listed as 1960 (link in mod history wouldn't have pointed to a page stating 1961).
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 06/10/2020 11:46
Spyglass wrote:

Wikipedia's very unreliable when it comes to older jazz albums. Discogs is usually the best source when they list more than one original release and the release years match. My theory of why Wikipedia's release years for old jazz albums are consistently one year earlier than they should be is that Scaruffi's site lists recording years instead of release years when possible, and a couple of his groupies have infected Wikipedia with this misinformation. (if you look at the "19xx in Jazz" pages on Wikipedia, particularly for the 80s and 70s, you can see that people have just copied and pasted the lists of albums from Scaruffi's site).

Idea's a good one. I've corrected years for jazz albums quite a few times and I always felt bad about messing up the charts of the handful of members -- sometimes just one other person -- who had the album in a yearly chart.
  • Visit poster's website