Buying music and illegal downloading

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 11/04/2011 22:42
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
I use spotify which gives some of the money from the userbase's monthly payment to pass onto the artists.

lol Spotify is free here in the US
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/04/2011 22:44
  • Post subject:
do you mean the version which gives you 12 hours a month or free for all the time?

if it's the latter, enjoy it while you can. it used to be free here too, but you will have to pay for it eventually.
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 11/05/2011 03:43
  • Post subject:
well I purchase albums that I am particuarly fond of (hard copies) and download everything else. I don't purchase digital music because the compaines go out of their way to make sure the music is incompatable with future generations of legal media players, forcing you to purchase everying again. Up until last year Apple would use DMA encoding (i thats what it was called) and this prevent the use of the media on anything Apple desired and it was ilegal to remove the coding. If Apple, Sony Mircosoft etc stoping forcing people to listen to music in certian ways on selected machines for selected periods of time then maybe I would consider buying digtial media.

Well maybe not, i don't see the point in paying for something that I could get for free, at least when you buy CD's or Records you get more than the music files. Oh yeah I almost forgot with Itunes you have to contend with rubbish MP3 files Sick

If anyone is interested the book Free Culture explains all of this better than I ever could Smile
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2011 06:24
  • Post subject:
Polythene Pam wrote:
well I purchase albums that I am particuarly fond of (hard copies) and download everything else. I don't purchase digital music because the compaines go out of their way to make sure the music is incompatable with future generations of legal media players, forcing you to purchase everying again. Up until last year Apple would use DMA encoding (i thats what it was called) and this prevent the use of the media on anything Apple desired and it was ilegal to remove the coding. If Apple, Sony Mircosoft etc stoping forcing people to listen to music in certian ways on selected machines for selected periods of time then maybe I would consider buying digtial media.

Well maybe not, i don't see the point in paying for something that I could get for free, at least when you buy CD's or Records you get more than the music files. Oh yeah I almost forgot with Itunes you have to contend with rubbish MP3 files Sick

If anyone is interested the book Free Culture explains all of this better than I ever could Smile

It's actually been a few years since Apple took the DMA off of their music-since at least 2008-and as I understand AAC files, which are the kind Apple uses, are compatible with most kinds of music players. And 256 kb is usually a fine file rate for my purposes. 360 and higher is what I reserve for albums I really like, otherwise it takes up too much space on my Ipod/hard-drive.

Tycho of the webcomic Penny Arcade puts this better than I can. He's talking about video games but it works for music as well, emphasis mine:

Quote:
Visit any thread regarding the topic, and I mean any thread, and it won’t be three posts until someone raises the Goddamned Jolly Roger and says they’ll pirate the game as a gesture consistent with some comprehensive ur-morality they’ve ginned up, one where stealing things is alright provided they were very angry when they did it. It’s entirely possible that you don’t like being spoken to in this way, but somebody has to get this done. What Ubisoft is doing here is Draconian - I don’t mean those lizard dudes, I’m talking about laws which are characterized by their severity. Before they eventually dismantle it, and it will be dismantled, it will have achieved exactly the opposite of their intention. But what I won’t tolerate from rational beings is the idea that you don’t understand why they’re doing it.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
Street

• Posted: 11/05/2011 09:53
  • Post subject:
I love the iTunes software, but WILL NOT buy music from the iTunes Store. The reason for this, is that it's set up to take full advantage of impulse buying. I KNOW that if I got started down that path, I'd eventually wind up purchasing the entire John Cougar Mellencamp collection, or something else equally unnecessary. Just because I was bored and it was there. iTunes is made for exactly that purpose.

When I really get to love an artist, I'll order the CD. There's something about holding hard copy in my hand for the first time, that no electronic download can match. It also forces me to think about just how badly I really want or need this album.

I'm not gonna pass judgment on people who get music other ways that aren't kosher... but I don't think they should brag about doing it. Whatever reason it's done for, it's still theft, and nothing to be proud of.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/05/2011 12:47
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
You can't justify theft.

You sure can. I'd rather see someone steal than starve.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2011 12:49
  • Post subject:
Grow, work or beg
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/05/2011 12:56
  • Post subject:
Or die.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2011 12:59
  • Post subject:
Your choice
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/05/2011 13:07
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:
You can't justify theft.

You sure can. I'd rather see someone steal than starve.

Yes.

But I'd rather see someone thrive than starve too.

Anxious
  • Visit poster's website