Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/05/2011 13:11
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Your choice

No. For quite a large number of people on this planet, there is no choice. Ask the starving people of Ethiopia why they do not "get a job", or even "grow". You and I are part of the happy few that can more or less make do whatever the odds. We shouldn't forget that when it comes to understanding, or not, theft. Millions of people across the earth have no "choice". Between starving or stealing, you tell them to starve. Their choice. Well, I can't agree with that.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2011 13:14
  • Post subject:
But I bet they are not interested in stealing music!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/05/2011 13:24
  • Post subject:
I support 'illegal' downloading. Not that it's illegal, but I don't any REAL artists (ignore manufactured, etc...) wouldn't mind if someone downloaded their music for free. It might pain them about that they're getting snatched another iTunes 15 cents, but as long as they're getting publicity, and people are enjoying their music, most wouldn't mind.

Of course, there is the boundary of how much is too much though, because an artist still has to make a profit somehow. Tickets for shows, celebrity accessories, website advertising & other business methods WILL have to increase in price eventually due to the fact of the accelerating growth of illegal downloading. But, as I stated before, I agree with that.

Music is for everyone. Some big name artists have even said that.

And, on the flip side, some artists (Bon Jovi is the only one to come to mind right now), agree that iTunes was the worst thing that every happened to music.

Either way, my method is download it, and if I like it, I'll by the cd/vinyl. Smile

This is a bit different than MY argument, but it brings up some nice points. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter...43217.html
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/05/2011 13:49
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
But I bet they are not interested in stealing music!

Sure. You were saying that nothing could justify theft (I understood "theft as a whole"), I was responding to that.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2011 13:56
  • Post subject:
There are numerous solutions to starving including but not limited to grow, hunt, trap, fish, store, work, purchase, barter, migrate, contraception, beg, etc.; all better than die.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2011 17:48
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I support 'illegal' downloading. Not that it's illegal, but I don't any REAL artists (ignore manufactured, etc...) wouldn't mind if someone downloaded their music for free.

That's not really your call though, is it? What is a "real" artist, anyway?

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/05/2011 18:04
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
Hayden wrote:
I support 'illegal' downloading. Not that it's illegal, but I don't any REAL artists (ignore manufactured, etc...) wouldn't mind if someone downloaded their music for free.

True. It's really just my thoughts, and some knowledge of what I've read in interviews about the topic.

I should have put 'real' in italics, capitals didn't make much sense. I just mean 'real' as in not just in the industry to make money, but to make music. Most mainstream stuff is music I consider 'fake'. Artists that have no love in what they make, etc...

If someone wants to help me out here, that'd be great Think I don't know how to word this properly.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 11/05/2011 18:17
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
40footwolf wrote:
Hayden wrote:

True. It's really just my thoughts, and some knowledge of what I've read in interviews about the topic.

I should have put 'real' in italics, capitals didn't make much sense. I just mean 'real' as in not just in the industry to make money, but to make music. Most mainstream stuff is music I consider 'fake'. Artists that have no love in what they make, etc...

If someone wants to help me out here, that'd be great Think I don't know how to word this properly.

No you don't but if I think you're saying what I think you're saying then I agree with 40footwolf in saying "That's not really your call though". How on earth do you know why someone's making music? answer: You don't have a fucking clue (and neither do I) so it's actually pretty rude to deem someone a fake.

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, it's a massive pet peeve of mine when people presume to Know the motivations of others, especially if they have never had any interaction with them.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 11/05/2011 18:21
  • Post subject:
I'm finding this discussion fascinating. Surely it's up to the artist whether they want to charge or not, and not up to the consumer?!

In all other forms of market, there is a buyer and a seller and these forces of supply and demand come together to set a 'price' (basic economic theory).

We are not talking about food or water, this is a 'luxury' item for which a free market exists. The consumer shouldn't be the one choosing whether to pay or not, the artist/publisher/distributor should be setting the price and the consumer can then decide whether they are prepared to pay that price to get the product. If the consumer can't pay the price (or is unwilling to), they don't get the product. That's how it works for all other forms of product, except it seems for digital media downloads!

The mechanism for theft (e.g. downloading from file-sharing sites, torrents etc), and the fact that it is so easy for people to do, shouldn't detract from the fact that it is still theft (except where a particular artist has made their music available for free). Sure, some forms of art can be enjoyed for free, where the artist wants this. But, the concept of people thinking they are entitled to everything for free, despite the wishes of the artist is a bit arrogant.

(EDIT: sorry, I think this post crossed with Jhereko's.)
  • Visit poster's website
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 11/05/2011 18:32
  • Post subject:
I shouldn't post my opinion here, you all would disagree with me anyway.