Album of the day (#3520): Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/05/2020 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#3520): Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen
Today's album of the day

Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1975.
Overall rank: 61
Average rating: 83/100 (from 1716 votes).

Tracks:
1. Thunder Road
2. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
3. Night
4. Backstreets
5. Born To Run
6. She's The One
7. Meeting Across The River
8. Jungleland

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/05/2020 20:19
  • Post subject:
The beginning of the imperial phase. The first album has wannabe-Dylan vibes, and the second suffers from thin production that doesn't always do the songs justice, but by this point the E Street Band were a powerhouse and he'd found a distinctive lyrical voice from which he got a whole lot of mileage. 'Thunder Road', on some days, is my favourite ever song. It taps into this great, imagined Americana of open roads, broken hearts, and stolen dreams, and I can hear Sheen in Badlands sneering every line. One of the best to ever touch mic.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2020 20:23
  • Post subject:
I'm not a heartland rock person, but choosing the best of its kind is easy: Born to Run.
Daydreamer

• Posted: 08/07/2020 09:35
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
The beginning of the imperial phase. The first album has wannabe-Dylan vibes, and the second suffers from thin production that doesn't always do the songs justice, but by this point the E Street Band were a powerhouse and he'd found a distinctive lyrical voice from which he got a whole lot of mileage. 'Thunder Road', on some days, is my favourite ever song. It taps into this great, imagined Americana of open roads, broken hearts, and stolen dreams, and I can hear Sheen in Badlands sneering every line. One of the best to ever touch mic.

I love every word of this. Thunder Road is only one of my all time favourite songs and I couldn't have described it any better than you did. This album is just so big, passionate, romantic and larger than life.
The piano/organ intro to Backstreets is one of my favourite music moments ever, just so powerful.

Also, I can think of no other album that has 4 songs of the highest possible caliber as this one does.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2020 00:46
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
'Thunder Road', on some days, is my favourite ever song.

You aren’t the first person I’ve heard say something like this recently, and damn it I’m going to join you guys.

Funnily enough, on other days, Jungleland takes the title of favorite song ever. I think the second half of Jungleland is one of the greatest few minutes in the history of rock music. This album is so important to me, and I never regret returning to it. Top 3 album of all time and I’m not even that big of a Springsteen fan.
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 08/09/2020 01:04
  • Post subject:
The incredible thing, to me at least, is that I agree with pretty much everything that's being said here, but I'd still place three of his other albums above it.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2020 01:36
  • Post subject:
I've liked this album for a while, but I've always felt that I should like it better given how much I love bands that were clearly inspired by it (like The Hold Steady and The Gaslight Anthem). Well I listened to it earlier this week when it was album of the day and it really clicked. "Thunder Road," the title track, and "Jungleland" were always the highlights but on this listen they all sounded better than ever, and I don't think there's a song that's less than great here. The River had been my favorite Springsteen album for a few years but I think this just surpassed it ("The River" is still my favorite Bruce song though).
911Turbo

Canada

• Posted: 08/25/2020 00:20
  • Post subject:
i remember when this album came out.
i was listening to "toys in the attic' (which i haven't picked up in yrs), "katy lied" ( a bit hard to digest), and physical graffiti ( which i
still listen to).
"born to run" is a juggernaut, landmark album. this was his breakthrough album that captures rock and roll and the impact it had on his life.
there are many monster bands and musicians who wouldn't existed without Springsteen's epic template.
a true classic.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 08/27/2020 14:09
  • Post subject:
First listen (except for the title song): I don't manage to like the pre-Born in the USA Springsteen sound. This "saloon" piano everywhere, the sax and the harmonica, all wrapped up in a rough, low-fidelity production. It sounds like a back-up band behind ("Springsteen & the E street band" indeed).
The great Born in the USA transcended all that.
  • Visit poster's website