First and Last Tracks of an Album

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ZebraRock

• Posted: 11/08/2011 01:25
  • Post subject: First and Last Tracks of an Album
Q: How important is an album Opener (the whole song or just the first minute) versus a closer?
Can an Album open/close poorly but still be considered "great"? Can they open/close strongly but have a weak midsection and still be considered "great"? How Important are they compared to each other?

What do you think?
  • Visit poster's website
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 11/08/2011 01:26
  • Post subject:
it varies
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 11/08/2011 01:35
  • Post subject:
I'll just give examples of a few of my Favourites

Loveless has incredible openers and closers although 2 tracks in the middle are not up to the incredible standard
(they are just really good)

Likewise with Unknown Pleasures, Perfect intro and exit to an album

Having said that, it isn't necessary to have a good intro to have a great albums

Examples Blonde On Blonde (rubbish first song, Perfect last song) Fever To Tell (Yeah Yeah Yeahs) has a not so good last track and okay intro track.

Keen to see what other people think too Very Happy
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2011 01:59
  • Post subject:
I don't think any album can be considered "great" unless it's weakest tracks are nothing less than "good". Certainly if there are two or more songs less than good it just can't be a great album to me. A great album is a collection of great songs, not two or three great songs and a half dozen songs of junk. As far as openers and closers, I think the opener is slightly more important just because it sets a tone and formulates an early opinion. Even if the next few songs are great, the first one will still stick with me more. Closers are always important too just because it ties everything together and hopefully leaves you satisfied, not disappointed. My personal favorite opener/closer combination is Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness. The opening title track is a beautiful piano piece, and at the end of Farewell and Goodnight the piano hook loops back in and brings the whole thing full circle. It gives me chills every time and leaves me totally contented.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 11/08/2011 02:22
  • Post subject:
I don't think it matters much to me about the beginning and the end.

Looking at some of my faves:

Loveless: Perfect beginning song and ends with my favorite song on the album.
In the Aeroplane: Neither the beginning nor the end are my favorites, but both our outstanding.
If You're Feeling Sinister: The first track is my least favorite on the album.
Kamelot in general have amazing finishers, but mixed starters.

So, yeah. It doesn't matter. Although I think having a really good first song makes it easier to get into the rest of the album.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 11/08/2011 02:25
  • Post subject:
Like with movies, I think ending well is more important than opening well. Sort of like if something is in focus then goes out of focus it's annoying, but if it starts out of focus then comes into focus it's satisfying.
  • Visit poster's website
Street

• Posted: 11/08/2011 06:59
  • Post subject:
In order for an album to work as an album, the opening track needs to build anticipation and excitement, and the closing track needs to leave the listener with a feeling of closure and satisfaction. The tracks inbetween tell the story.

I really dislike reissue albums that tack 4 or 5 extra tracks on to the end of the album... it ruins the story for me, by going on far longer than it should. It's much better when extra tracks are included on a separate CD.
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/08/2011 07:27
  • Post subject:
Squishy and pearljammer make some good observations. Personally, rather than a collection of 'songs', I generally prefer albums as concepts conceived as a totality. There might be individual passages or songs that don't necessarily work in and of themselves, but to my way of thinking, the measure of a great album is whether the individual component parts come together as a satisfying whole. I don't generally find the traditional pop arangement or song format a very satisfying one. My favourite albums tend to be the ones that I initially thought "what the fuck was all that about?" 'Faust 1' and Resident's 'Not Available' come to mind.
  • Visit poster's website
sgraham1990

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2011 07:56
  • Post subject:
Personally, I find it easier to forgive less than stellar tracks on an album if it has a real strong intro and closer. My personal favorite bookend songs are "Thunder Road" and "Jungleland" off Born to Run.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 11/08/2011 07:57
  • Post subject:
Street wrote:
In order for an album to work as an album, the opening track needs to build anticipation and excitement, and the closing track needs to leave the listener with a feeling of closure and satisfaction. The tracks inbetween tell the story.

I really dislike reissue albums that tack 4 or 5 extra tracks on to the end of the album... it ruins the story for me, by going on far longer than it should. It's much better when extra tracks are included on a separate CD.

Correct answer Applause

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website