The problem with live extreme punk

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2020 16:47
  • Post subject: The problem with live extreme punk
I adore grindcore and I'm getting into noisecore. Noisy production can make a punk album so much better, but it can also hurt it. There's a difference between a DIY aesthetic being properly placed such as it is done with many punk albums, and even indie albums like Bee Thousand which might be the best example, since it was written to sound like a Beatles bootleg. I'm also a big fan of Steve Albini and his work with Big Black (only two fucking albums). But being noisy for noisiness' sake doesn't always work out. With some albums like, say 2nd LP by thrashcore band Dropdead (who have a new album out this Friday), that style of production works perfectly. Let me surprise you by saying that I think 2nd LP is flawless and is better than most of Radiohead's catalogue and many Beatles albums.

I'm listening to Sete Star Sept's live album Live in Baltimore 2011, and I can barely tell what the fuck is going on. It all sounds like a guy screaming into white noise. Now I liked some of their works, but this doesn't sound like music at all. I like bursts of energy, but when I turn on a music album I want it to sound like music. The aesthetic isn't a total loss. Any extreme punk fan should get some enjoyment out of the production since it sounds completely vile and evil, and one can't deny that the drummer does a, ahem, bang up job. But it gets in the way of hearing a song a lot of the time. Live punk albums by obscure punk bands won't get the high-value production that live albums typically get, so albums like this will usually sound really dirty. Ironically, punk is supposed to be about being free to do what you want regardless of things like pop structure, studio quality, etc. You'd think an extreme punk sound with a fixation on noisiness would be a perfect trope for cheap live recordings. Unfortunately, that gives the style a chance to overdo the noisiness.

Sete Star Sept are an act that I've liked and hated at different times. I'm going to give this EP half a star because the atmosphere did sound very evil and violent. But that's the only thing I enjoyed about this album. Shame. I would love to see noisecore being treated with a more exploratory vision in this world. I personally believe that there's a lot that noisecore is capable of.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/23/2020 04:39
  • Post subject:
I agree - it's like spicy food. I love spicy food.

But if it so spicy I can't breathe or can't feel my mouth, well then what's the point?
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/23/2020 18:34
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:

But if it so spicy I can't breathe or can't feel my mouth, well then what's the point?

Good analogy.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/23/2020 23:22
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:

The point is you need to build your tolerance and palate to appreciate it.

You cannot appreciate more complex spice profiles if your tolerance level is too low.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/24/2020 00:06
  • Post subject:
Don't get the wrong idea. I listen to noisy grindy hardcore albums all the time. But too much is too much, especially for anything built on extremes.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/24/2020 00:47
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:

The point is you need to build your tolerance and palate to appreciate it.

You cannot appreciate more complex spice profiles if your tolerance level is too low.

Actually you missed my point entirely.

There is such a thing as too much pepper in the sausage as Germans say.

You aren't meaning to (I don't think), but your response to me is kind of like saying, dude, you should just acquire your taste to not putting pepper on something, rather having the "refined" experience of just eating a jar of pepper for dinner. It's where it's at man. All the refined people do it. What a pleb if you don't eat entire jars of pepper for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

And to that I say, that's not a tolerance/palate issue, that's stupidity. I mean there are people who actually eat feces. And no, I'm not going to be duped into doing so just because it's a really cool experience or "it's just an acquired taste". There are boundaries, at least for me, for the items I consume willingly.

But to the point you likely actually were making, stuff like atonal music, extreme experimental, extreme free jazz, extreme noise, etc. actually can be great forms of art, and are an acquired taste.

But I'll argue, even within those, there are refined tastes of said forms, and then there's actual shit people are eating and calling it great, because they themselves no longer can tell the difference because they already burned their mouths.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/24/2020 15:59
  • Post subject:
Although I'm against using words like "stupidity" when debating personal opinions, I agree with every remaining poing Roundthebend made. Gowi's statement can apply to any music no matter how horrible, including Dot Dot Curve. I've spent years adjusting my palate for the sake of discovery, but I've always made the effort not to allow my critical judgment to suffer for it. If it was entirely a matter of adjustment, wouldn't that render the concept of a rating system meaningless, especially in relevance to the lower ratings?

Take my views compared to Skinny's for an example. He has an undeniable sense of taste stemming from his diversified chart, but I feel very sorry for him that he doesn't like Queen, especially when seeing one album in his top 10 that I found only slightly better than the average modern soul album, a Thundercat album. To me, Thundercat's whole catalog is dominated effortlessly by the entire catalog of D'Angelo, so it's possible that I have something to gain by adjusting my views to further learn something from Skinny's views . The difference between our situation and this live album is that Skinny's chart proves that he's pretty well learned in the music department, and Sete Star Sept are no different than any other noisecore act. As a result there's no difference between this live EP and a dozen other EP's just like it that I've heard.

So the idea of Gowi's post isn't "stupidity," but it neglects a key element: a low rating can be as justifiable as a high rating.
NewsFromHome

• Posted: 09/24/2020 21:57
  • Post subject:
I mean the thing is it isn't just an equipment and money boundary but also a venue boundary. Most live punk bands I've ever engineered tapes for can only really afford to play in harsh sounding concrete warehouses where the venue has mics for a kick, a snare and if I'm lucky a tom clip or two. I can't make the cymbals sound like they're not bleeding from every corner without even the slightest bit of padding. Most mixing tools can't save that type of harshness. I mean you're right Round, it's inherently overpeppered - but what are you supposed to do when you can't even talk about the possibility of affording a better sautee pan that doesn't heat properly, much less compound butter, herbs, spices, etc. ?
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/25/2020 02:04
  • Post subject:
oh quick clarity... cuz now I feel bad.

I find Gowi incredibly intelligent. Not commenting she's being stupid at all. That somehow got conflated with: Eating a jar of pepper would be a stupid thing to do - just to "experience it" or "adjust your palette".

Also I fucking love rough cuts of music played in basements/factories/shitty scenarios. My favorite Foo Fighters music is from this really really crappy recording of a Late! Pocketwatch stuff I got off the interwebs in the early 2000s. It sounds really rough and harsh, but I love it.

I just think music that is intentionally shitting in someone's ear drums to be edgy... is the stupidity I'm talking about... It might be best for me to find something to clarify the points being made of "well made" harsh music and then music that is just grating to the point of annoyance... and no I won't blow torch my tongue or eat shit to "adjust my palette". That's the part I'm talking about that is stupidity.

Enjoying some habanero poppers though *wrapped in bacon* is the freaking shit (just an example of something hot that can be an acquired taste, but is absolutely perfectly designed). Or the subtle taste differences in different sashimi, which requires a more refined palette. Or wines and liquors or meads, etc. Mmmm... dark harsh bitter chocolates.

But you will have to argue... a lot... to help me convince me that the taste of the hottest peppers on the planet are a refined palette experience. Actually it's the opposite - it kinda destroys your palette, you can't feel anything, and while it might give you a delirium of otherworldly experiences due to the pain you'll go through to endure it... it will never, ever, ever be an enjoyable taste... not even with some good schadenfreude. It will be unique experience... that I will agree with.

Like this - I find kind of creative and while I wouldn't want to eat a jar of it, it's at least a bit intriguing. It's kinda like a habanero popper... you might have 2-6 but probably won't eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7wBQBB43...hZY59-OJEQ

I can't really find something so grating right now that it's just like, really, this is just someone shitting on you, not any interesting creativity beyond the shitting.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 09/25/2020 02:24; edited 4 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
NewsFromHome

• Posted: 09/25/2020 02:11
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
I just think music that is intentionally shitting in someone's ear drums to be edgy... is the stupidity I'm talking about... It might be best for me to find something to clarify the points being made of "well made" harsh music and then music that is just grating to the point of annoyance... and no I won't blow torch my tongue or eat shit to "adjust my palette". That's the part I'm talking about that is stupidity.

Thing is (at least in the context of this thread, live extreme punk) I'm not sure there are bands that actively do that so much as it is like neophyte engineers going, well with this type of music it's okay if everything clips! And then they walk away from the console to have their beer.