Attila

View previous topic :: View next topic
AlexZangari

United States
  • Posted: 08/10/2011 14:34
  • Post subject: Attila
Here's a little thing I'm sure many of you didn't know. Before Billy Joel took off on his solo career, he was involved with a little two-piece band that might shock you...

Yes, the Piano Man took to heavy metal way back in '69. Unsurprisingly, many critics who've managed to find this album site it as one of, if not THE worst album in the history of rock and roll...

I disagree. Though it's odd to have a heavy metal band without any guitars (Billy played a pair of organs he rigged to sound as close to electric guitars as possible, as his partner played the drums), I feel has if this album contains many gems. So here I am to share them with you! Very Happy

Link

This one's called "Tear This Castle Down":

Link

I can't believe this is frowned upon Sad

Link

The album also contains a few instrumental tracks and even a lovely song about Billy trying not to masturbate cuz he wanted to wait to get home and do his girl instead =]

Unfortunately, the band only lasted a year. A year of playing shit venues full of pot smoke (a.k.a. "the life"). People would walk out in the middle of the show, not because it sucked, but because it was too damn loud for them. But it all came to an end when Billy stole the drummer's wife. Can't exactly say that's a bad ending now, can you?

Of course this lead to about 2 or 3 more bands coming to existence with the same name... but for me, nothing beats the original Cool
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States
  • Posted: 08/10/2011 15:48
  • Post subject:
...That is pretty awesome.

I can't wait to tell my brother about this. He and I are huge heavy-prog fans, and maybe he'll start liking Billy Joel now Razz
  • Visit poster's website
TracyJacks

Hungary
  • Posted: 03/05/2012 17:48
  • Post subject:
It sounds pretty awful. d'oh!

I'm curious why the album has the title Attila. That's a common name in my country and that's why I think it's very funny that the album's title is Attila. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
gussteivi

Sweden
  • Posted: 03/05/2012 18:13
  • Post subject:
And before that he was in The Hassles,

Link

Can't say I'm very familiar with their music, but this particular song kinda sounds like Vanilla Fudge, doesn't it?
  • Visit poster's website