Best Year in Hip-Hop Tournament (group stage)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/24/2020 20:04
  • Post subject:
Cool
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 01/07/2021 12:19
  • Post subject:
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your enthusiastic and insightful participation in the tournament thus far. I have already discovered or become reacquianted with lots of fantastic releases, and so far we've only been treated to a fraction of the nominations. It really is wonderful to see people engaging in this tournament in their own unique ways, and the breadth of selection and discussion has already exceeded my expectations.

I am going to leave the Gameweek One matchups up without polls for a further two days, before adding polls on Saturday 9th January. Users will then have a further week to listen to anything that they have not as yet found time for (matches will close on Friday 15th), and to finalise their decisions and cast their vote on the selections in each match.

In order for a quick turnaround, I will be asking users for their Gameweek Two selections to be handed in by Sunday 17th January, as that is when I intend to post the matches. As before, users in Group C will send their selections to PossiblyMichigan, and everyone else will send theirs to myself. Also as before, I will be sending out reminder PMs to users towards the end of next week, by which time we will probably have a decent idea of how results are shaping up.

Thanks again for your input thus far, and I hope this level of enthusiasm can be maintained throughout the tournament!

Peace!
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2021 22:16
  • Post subject:
This is a lot of fun so far! Personally, I'm going to be hard-pressed to do enough listening to vote in every match within a week's time. Anyone else in the same boat?
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 01/08/2021 22:21
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
This is a lot of fun so far! Personally, I'm going to be hard-pressed to do enough listening to vote in every match within a week's time. Anyone else in the same boat?

I feel like I have a couple of advantages in that I'm a) already familiar with a lot of the albums, and b) able to know in advance of the matches being posted what most users have nominated and therefore have a few days head start. That said, I'm not generally getting the feeling that people are struggling with the listenload, but I am willing to adjust the timings if this is a widespread issue.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2021 01:59
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:

+1.

I go slower than most people though. Especially with hip hop. I typically listen to every album at least three times. That's how many times it typically takes for me to get something. And now I even reading the lyrics!!! lol. So, yeah. I could use more time as well, but I also understand that others may be wanting to move this along. I'm cool with whatever you decide, Skinny!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2021 03:12
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:

+2

kokkinos wrote:
The last album for this matchup is Edan - Beauty and the Beat. (I really have to pick up the pace, way too much stuff I haven't looked into yet and too little time left)

BTW, kokkinos, love, love, love your write-ups! Keep it up, brother!!!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2021 04:18
  • Post subject:
I have 8 albums left to listen to.

I think I can pull that off by the 17th.

What I'm thinking is maybe on the 17th we open up voting? Then on the 24th we open up round 2?

Just trying to think of ways to suffice the interest while buying more time.

In other tournaments I listened to everything, then voted, and it was more or less "all downhill" from there in terms of ease of participating. Now I have the same level of commitment for each round, which I suppose has 3 more sets, then it's all downhill from there?

While it takes a bit more effort, I dig this tourney style more because it allows more participation/more chances for the losers to still feel like they have a place in the game... haha.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/09/2021 10:39
  • Post subject:
So, there are 3 matchups I am done with. If I stick to the plan of taking full advantage of the weekend and going through the whole 1997/2015 matchup today and the 1999/2017 matchup tomorrow (call it mission impossible), there will still be the two Group D matchups I haven't touched yet. Plus, I d' like to listen to the 1993 team, even though I am not sure I'd have the guts to vote againist my team anyway. So, yeah, I'm definitely on the more time side. Of course it goes without saying that I wouldn't like to stall the whole tournament by myself, so I'm fine with any decision.

Repo wrote:
+2

BTW, kokkinos, love, love, love your write-ups! Keep it up, brother!!!

Cheers, mate.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 01/09/2021 13:39
  • Post subject:
OK, I'll leave matches up without polls until Saturday 16th, then close polls on Friday 22nd, before posting the Gameweek Two matches on Sunday 24th.
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2021 17:51
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
OK, I'll leave matches up without polls until Saturday 16th, then close polls on Friday 22nd, before posting the Gameweek Two matches on Sunday 24th.

Thank you!